Compact, high quality desktop sound?

audiokid

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I am currently using some B&W MM1 with my iMac on a wooden desk. Whilst they are impressive for their size, they have never sounded as hoped. They sound too bassy, muddled and lack detail and clarity.

Today I tried the iTunes EQ and the issue is almost solved my issue by a introducing a dip of -8db at around 125-250hz on the EQ. The bass hump went and this brought more clarity, more detail, better soundstage and an overall better sound to my ears.

Trouble is, I can't have this feature on Spotify unless I use Airfoil, then there's a delay on the sound, and it also doesn't sound the same as the iTunes EQ for some reason.

I think it's more to do with the acoustics of the wooden desk and the alcove the desk sits in, but also could be the voicing of the speakers? Does anyone else have this?

Are there any very small alternatives that have a clearer, more focused sound with tighter and more tuneful bass? I don't mind them costing more, but the main issue is space, the desk / alcove is only 120cm wide.

Perhaps there are some with an EQ option built in? Ideally they would be active so I don't have to worry about an amp, unless the amp is tiny also.

Ben123

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
The problem with the MM1s is that its a bit of a victim of its own success. The fact that they are so small means they are low on the desk and the sound field fires in to your chest.

I tried raising them to head height using a few books as a test and the sound was much better. I also use some sound isolation platforms and again the sound was better, firming up the bass.

Ive tried looking online for some desk speaker stands but cant find anything that that will suit.

I will probably end up going down ikea and making something up from bits of wood and super glue. :roll:

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
audiokid said:
Hi, I am currently using some B&W MM1 with my iMac on a wooden desk. Whilst they are impressive for their size, they have never sounded as hoped. They sound too bassy, muddled and lack detail and clarity.

Today I tried the iTunes EQ and the issue is almost solved my issue by a introducing a dip of -8db at around 125-250hz on the EQ. The bass hump went and this brought more clarity, more detail, better soundstage and an overall better sound to my ears.

Trouble is, I can't have this feature on Spotify unless I use Airfoil, then there's a delay on the sound, and it also doesn't sound the same as the iTunes EQ for some reason.

I think it's more to do with the acoustics of the wooden desk and the alcove the desk sits in, but also could be the voicing of the speakers? Does anyone else have this?

Are there any very small alternatives that have a clearer, more focused sound with tighter and more tuneful bass? I don't mind them costing more, but the main issue is space, the desk / alcove is only 120cm wide.

Perhaps there are some with an EQ option built in? Ideally they would be active so I don't have to worry about an amp, unless the amp is tiny also.

Your problems are early reflections from the desktop, a common problem.

There are some neat desktop stands made by Audio Engine and Adam audio that, combined with a little light EQ should work.

If not buy the Adam A3x speakers to go on them, if you really need some EQ on the speakers then look at the Presonus Eris 5, not that small though.

Sorry, tried to post some links bet the site would not let me. Google is your friend.

audiokid

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Ben123 said:
The problem with the MM1s is that its a bit of a victim of its own success. The fact that they are so small means they are low on the desk and the sound field fires in to your chest. I tried raising them to head height using a few books as a test and the sound was much better. I also use some sound isolation platforms and again the sound was better, firming up the bass. Ive tried looking online for some desk speaker stands but cant find anything that that will suit. I will probably end up going down ikea and making something up from bits of wood and super glue. :roll:

Yes, they are very low. I have some thick granite coasters which help raise them, but not as much as needed. Lowering the head certainly brings clearer sound!

audiokid

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
davedotco said:
audiokid said:

Your problems are early reflections from the desktop, a common problem. There are some neat desktop stands made by Audio Engine and Adam audio that, combined with a little light EQ should work. If not buy the Adam A3x speakers to go on them, if you really need some EQ on the speakers then look at the Presonus Eris 5, not that small though. Sorry, tried to post some links bet the site would not let me. Google is your friend.

Thanks, will have a look but I'm trying to avoid the studio monitor look. I did wonder if the Joey Roth speakers are any good, they certainly look very nice.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
audiokid said:
davedotco said:
audiokid said:

Your problems are early reflections from the desktop, a common problem. There are some neat desktop stands made by Audio Engine and Adam audio that, combined with a little light EQ should work. If not buy the Adam A3x speakers to go on them, if you really need some EQ on the speakers then look at the Presonus Eris 5, not that small though. Sorry, tried to post some links bet the site would not let me. Google is your friend.

Thanks, will have a look but I'm trying to avoid the studio monitor look. I did wonder if the Joey Roth speakers are any good, they certainly look very nice.

Unless you deal with the early reflecton issue nothing will really work properly.

In addition few, of the desktop speakers sold as hi-fi solutions have proper active amplification like the Adam and Presonus speakers mentioned. Active systems have (in general) tighter more controled bass than the powered solutions such as the Roth. A great advantage if you are having any kind of bass issues such as reflections from a desktop.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
If you ask me, this sounds like a good reason to use a good old fashioned graphic EQ between your Mac and your MM1's. There must be dozens going for next to nothing on eBay since consumer-grade analogue EQ's have fallen out of fashion.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Ben123 said:
how bout these? might be overkill for the mm1's, but hey options are limited !

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/B-Tech-40cm-Pair-of-Black-Speaker-Stands-with-Metal-Bas-/151076156339

40cm speaker stands.

Actually I was thinking of someyhing more like this.....

adaa3xbun1.jpg

Adam A3x on their matching stand. The stands only can be gad for around £30 pr if you look around.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Here's the cheapest solution for broad equalization of any sound coming out of your mac using Mac built in EQ

http://osxdaily.com/2012/05/18/equalizer-for-all-audio-mac-os-x/

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
... or

http://www.globaldelight.com/boom/

however with soundflower/ AULab as well as Boom EQ no AirPlay available

audiokid

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
lpv said:
... or

http://www.globaldelight.com/boom/

however with soundflower/ AULab as well as Boom EQ no AirPlay available

Actually, I think this has cracked it. Saves me buying loads of new gear!

Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts