Coming soon to a system near me... Rubies

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 188516

Both. 79 strand or at a push 500 strand speaker cables.

i understand that the 500 hundred strand would have a lower resistance compared to the 79 strand cable.

would it not be better to just use the 500 hundred strand cable all the time or do some systems sound (work) better with the (higher resistance) 79 strand option ?

D

Deleted member 108165

Stop Press... Might be onto something...

Had a trawl of the net regarding speaker positioning and there was one thread which said to try toeing the speakers inwards towards the listening position, or even crossing over before the listening position. This sounded counter-intuitive to me as I always thought that toe-in would increase the HF making them sound brighter, so I almost dismissed it... I've just increased the toe-in so the cross over point is 1 metre before the listening position and almost a voila moment, HF is nice and clear and the bass depth is back with abundance, (doesn't sound artificial), and warmth is back. It's narrowed the soundstage but I can live with that for the moment as long as I'm back tapping my feet.

As it initially took me weeks to get the positioning sweet spot sorted I'll spend the same time on this again. Got next week off work to rig-up the new kit properly so I'll play with this some more.

Never thought that a change of amplification by the same manufacturer would require a complete rethink on speaker positioning. You live and learn I guess.
Just an update as to where I currently am. The speakers are now toed-in to fire directly at the listening position and everything is groovy, (maybe my ears are adjusting to the new sound too).

Only been seriously into hi-fi for the last 8 years so still learning a lot... like bass definition. Bass is an instrument not a noise, this is the difference in the presentation I'm hearing.

Just for fun plugged the CDP into an old Kenwood amp yesterday just to see the difference, the bass was an incoherent blob, switching back to the Ruby amp it was plain to see how it controls everything superbly.

Would like to try some small Harbeth's at some stage in the future but have decided there is no rush at the moment as the PMC's are more than up to the job.

Reactions: Gray
D

Deleted member 188516

Totally irrelevant....,
This isn't going to end up in another cable debate.
DougK can obviously make up his own mind but that's it, please restrict answers to the questions put by the OP

true, apologies, but i would like rick to answer that question if possible.

D

Deleted member 108165

true, apologies, but i would like rick to answer that question if possible.
I have no problem with this Plus but there is a cable thread running at the moment. All Al is trying to do as a moderator is attempting to keep threads on track, that is one of the functions of a moderator.

Imagine you are a punter looking for advice/reviews regarding the components in the thread title coming here to seek feedback only to be confronted by a thread which has veered off point to become yet another cable debate!

Reactions: Al ears
D

Deleted member 188516

I have no problem with this Plus but there is a cable thread running at the moment. All Al is trying to do as a moderator is attempting to keep threads on track, that is one of the functions of a moderator.

Imagine you are a punter looking for advice/reviews regarding the components in the thread title coming here to seek feedback only to be confronted by a thread which has veered off point to become yet another cable debate!

i agree and apologies again - i'm glad you are warming to your new purchases now.

with rick being an actual dealer though i'm (more) interested in his views on cables as he has the option of selling the more expensive ones if he chooses.

the fact he recommends freebie interconnects and (cheap) qed 79 strand kind of fascinates me !

maybe rick could start a thread on why (as a dealer) he shuns the more expensive cables and recommends the choices he uses ?

i agree and apologies again - i'm glad you are warming to your new purchases now.

with rick being an actual dealer though i'm (more) interested in his views on cables as he has the option of selling the more expensive ones if he chooses.

the fact he recommends freebie interconnects and (cheap) qed 79 strand kind of fascinates me !

maybe rick could start a thread on why (as a dealer) he shuns the more expensive cables and recommends the choices he uses ?
He could but doubt he will as the outcome may not be to his liking...... :)
There are enough cable threads on the forum already to sate everyone's thirst.

It's a hard life but somebody's got to do it..... :cool:

D

Deleted member 188516

He could but doubt he will as the outcome may not be to his liking...... :)
There are enough cable threads on the forum already to sate everyone's thirst.

maybe or maybe not as most cable threads i have read are about 90% towards (more expensive) cables make little difference and are generally an expensive rip off !

i'm sure rick has won many fans over the years !

Gray

Just an update as to where I currently am. The speakers are now toed-in to fire directly at the listening position and everything is groovy, (maybe my ears are adjusting to the new sound too).

Only been seriously into hi-fi for the last 8 years so still learning a lot... like bass definition. Bass is an instrument not a noise, this is the difference in the presentation I'm hearing.

Just for fun plugged the CDP into an old Kenwood amp yesterday just to see the difference, the bass was an incoherent blob, switching back to the Ruby amp it was plain to see how it controls everything superbly.

Would like to try some small Harbeth's at some stage in the future but have decided there is no rush at the moment as the PMC's are more than up to the job.
I lived with 'incoherent blob' for years......then got divorced :LOL:
No, that's a good description of the bass sound I was only too used to (ignorance is bliss).
That's some exponential improvement in your 8 years Doug!
I've been into 'hi-fi' for (at least) 45 years, with too many sideways moves.
Some people actively prefer the blob sound. Not me, glad I lost it.
Remember the test....can you easily hear the difference between bass drum / bass guitar?
Sadly, if it was badly recorded, probably still no!

D

Deleted member 108165

Remember the test....can you easily hear the difference between bass drum / bass guitar?
Ooh, haven't heard that one before, cheers. Just now need to find out what a bass guitar sounds like :)

Ooh, haven't heard that one before, cheers. Just now need to find out what a bass guitar sounds like :)

I'm assuming there's some forum humour at play here!

If not you need to get your ear acclimatised. I think I'm particularly sensitive to bass reproduction, as I play the bass. Not only should you easily be able to tell the difference between a double bass, electric bass and slapping a la Mark King (not a Level 42 fan, I'm afraid), but you should be able to tell whether the player is using fingers or a plectrum.

Hawkwind16

May 22, 2016
Visit site
Back to the KI Rubies, my home demo versions arrived this morning

Well initial impressions are rich, smooth, detailed but they are still running in. Possibly too much syrup in the mix with my Harbeth SLH5+'s on the end of it.

D

Deleted member 188516

Well initial impressions are rich, smooth, detailed but they are still running in. Possibly too much syrup in the mix with my Harbeth SLH5+'s on the end of it.

may i ask are you using the supplied interconnect ?

also do you have the units plugged direct to wall sockets or via an extension block ?

D

Deleted member 188516

i'm using my own Russ Andrews stuff - interconnect and basic mains block

thanks for the reply.

just wondered as amplifiers, i have read, often perform better when plugged direct to wall sockets minus extension blocks or mains filters.

may i ask what russ andrews kit you use ?

Gray

Forgive me if you've mentioned it before Hawkwind but what amp are you used to?
And is the syrup comparison based on it going into the Harbeths too?

D

Deleted member 108165

I'm assuming there's some forum humour at play here!

If not you need to get your ear acclimatised. I think I'm particularly sensitive to bass reproduction, as I play the bass. Not only should you easily be able to tell the difference between a double bass, electric bass and slapping a la Mark King (not a Level 42 fan, I'm afraid), but you should be able to tell whether the player is using fingers or a plectrum.
It was a little tongue in cheek. But in all honesty I have always been instrument blind to a greater/lesser extent, my main focus is on vocals but arrangements and production must be good. You are fortunate in that you can play an instrument, I can't, (but I can hit a golf ball). Unless trained or with prior knowledge I doubt I'd be able to tell the difference between fingers and a plectrum plucked string.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts