Coming soon to a system near me... Rubies

• Thread starter Deleted member 108165
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 108165

Bit the bullet today and ordered the matching Marantz Ruby amp and cd player. Local hi-fi store were doing a decent deal of 0% finance over 24 months and had lowered the price of the cd player equal to the amp. Otherwise not sure why I did it, guess the proof will be in the listening... yeah I bought deaf but I'm a Marantz fanboy anyway.

Let's see if Class D is as good as A/B, admittedly there's a bit more grunt on tap with the Ruby amp so should I ever decide on different speakers then I'll have more headroom to play with. If I don't warm to them then I can always sell them on, (the original Pearl's have a cult status, maybe the Rubies will too).

Just got to figure out how to get them in the current openings in my unit as they are much deeper components than the Pearl Lites, (jig-saw could see some use in the coming weeks). I can also lose a box as I doubt I'll need the NA7004 anymore.

Fool and their money possibly springs to mind...

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 108165

Cheers Gray, they say the little PMC's react well to better amplification so lets see how they like 100W up their chuffers :) They sound just dandy on the end of the current amp, so any improvement could be borderline miraculous.

I'm a bit of weirdo, as up to the point of purchase I get really excited then suffer buyers remorse until I connect new kit up. I have to be spontaneous otherwise I talk myself out of bargains, (not that you can call this expenditure a bargain in any form), I'm looking at what they cost when they first came out compared to now, basically 40% less than RRP.

D

Deleted member 108165

Looks like it could be a longer wait than anticipated as BoJo has closed electronics shops tonight. Good move by the government... I'm in no hurry.

D

Deleted member 108165

I'm assuming that someone will call and I either go to the closed shop to collect or they'll bung them in the post to me. Not too worried either way at the moment as I'm in no hurry and may have to rethink how/where I'm going to position everything when it arrives... read-on...

Unfortunately can't do the woodwork alterations until the Rubes arrive. Seriously doubt my current media unit will take the extra weight as it's bowing already...teach me to buy at Argos, maybe I'll use Ikea next time :). There's already a 50" plasma TV on the unit at 23Kg and the Pearl Lites underneath come in at about 18Kg combined; the Rubies come in at amp 15.7Kg and CDP 17.1Kg... yep the CDP weighs more than the amp! So that's nearly 56Kg total... the Rubes might be sitting on their boxes until I can figure something out.

Don't think the spending is over yet as I may have to invest in a new media unit(s) :)

Reactions: Gray

Gray

Just been reading the HFN lab test. Looks the PMC chuffers are going to be be tested!
You've probably seen they got 170 / 280W continuous into 8 and 4 ohms.
And dynamic power of 610W into 2 ohms.......and you used to get on so well with your neighbours :LOL: Your old 75dB will be below tickover on the new beast.
(Interesting to read that KI himself rated the phono stage as better than that in the PM-10).

D

Deleted member 108165

Haven't read the HFN test but the specs do look appealing, I really hope they sound good. I can remember being totally underwhelmed when I upgraded to the Pearl Lites from the PM/CD6004 combo and wondered why I had spent 3x my initial outlay on the PL's, but at least the CDP has SACD capability. I'm also hoping that the Rubies will not make my entire music collection un-listenable by being too revealing, don't really want a warts and all presentation as I have a lot of warts in my collection... fingers crossed :)

Hope to hear over the coming week as to where Rubies are and how I'm going to get them, not going to push for handover in these uncertain times though.

To date the biggest single upgrade to my system was the addition of the little PMC's, closely followed by the Marantz turntable and Nagaoka cartridge. All these recommendations came from members of this forum... Yes, this forum does work (y)

Reactions: Gray and Al ears
There are one or two of my favourite indie oldies that an improving system has shown for what they really are and whilst it means I won't listen to them with the focus I will better recordings, it's like having a beer with an old friend who hasn't really grown up. If you pay more attention to the aspects that do work and not those that don't, there's still pleasure to be had.

Flip side is that plenty of recordings are rather better than you might actually expect, and there's often stuff in there that has gone unappreciated.

What's the PMC's recommended power range? I know these are to be taken with a pinch of salt and that you are less likely to burn out coils with an amp rated as having too much power than you are with one with too little*. My GR20s are nominally rated at 150w handling, and the A308 is 250wpc RMS into 8 ohms and 450wpc into 8. Speakers are 89dB and nominally 6 ohms**, so they are sitting on the end of up to (give or take) 350w p/c.

You do get used to avoiding the right hand side of the volume knob. Judging by cone excursion, I am confident I could break the speakers quite easily. Smells Like Teen Spirit at half way around the dial gives bass and kick drum that you feel in your chest cavity.

Not that it's all about volume, naturally!

*My teenage self has personal experience here...
**I did have to look these up - I'm not that anal.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 108165

They are definitely a pair of interest to me.
I’d love to hear them.
Happy as I am with my 14’s I’d still like to hear the Ruby’s.
I would like to hear them too :)
Thought this thread would pique your interest bigfish.

insider9

Doug, I can't wait. Would it speed things up if we started sending individual complaints? You really are patient. I've ordered a digital piano on Friday that would ordinarily be here tomorrow. I know it's delayed by day or two as I keep checking tracking. I've not been outside since Friday and going a little crazy. What's your secret?

Reactions: Dom
D

Deleted member 108165

I'm not locked-up, I'm still going to work and when you get to my age patience is a must... even for something as simple as putting your socks on in the morning :)

Just hoping this virus doesn't get me before I take delivery... now that would really suck :LOL:

Reactions: insider9
D

Deleted member 108165

DougK you may have already contracted the virus and it not affected you much. Maybe, maybe not.
Guess only time will tell Dom. Think we had a casualty in our section at work last week and he's currently home self-isolating with his Mrs for 2 weeks, fortunately I was on annual leave last week, but if the stupid b*gger had been more savvy he wouldn't have come into work in the first place.

I work for a major domestic/international courier company, there is no way that social distancing can be adhered to in the warehouse if you want to get the job done. Sure we are moving a lot of medical related gear but we are also moving a lot of non-essential items such as clothes and perfumes... strange times.

Reactions: Al ears

Dom

Strange times. Well I just hope this blows over soon. Indeed life is quieter out and about, and there is something nice about that. I am just going have to accept that it is a big deal. I want this over in a month, but it could 6 months, a year. More? I miss my KFC.

Dom

Pubs are good. All closed. Only a few places open now. Skated around a bit today. Police on duty, moving us aside if needs be. I think I'm going chill on a bench for a while. Maybe skate for a bit.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts