CocktailAudio X10

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm looking to buy one of these to replace my computer in my music set up but they seem relatively new and reviews are hard to come by. Any one have one? How does the sound quality compare to other products? Any chance of whathifi reviewing it?

A

Anonymous

I reckon this device will be getting a lot of interest - it can save lossless files unlike the Brennan which I think only does mp3. I too am thinking of buying so very interested in quality assessment. Uncompressed file quality may be let down if the rest of the kit isn't up to it. I listen to mostly classical music and planned to link X10 to exisiting quality amp etc. I also use good headphones (Sennheiser HD598) - so anyone know what the X10's direct haedphone output quality is like?

A

Anonymous

Looks interesting. How much? I think you should take a hit for the team :grin:

A

Anonymous

About £280 if you buy it without a hard drive (apparently they're fairly easy to buy and fit yourself) going up to £430 for the biggest 2TB model. Definitely seems like a better deal than the Brennan but maybe too good to be true?

There's got to be a catch somewhere right?

amcluesent

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
>I listen to mostly classical music <

AFAIK the X10 will need a software upgrade to handle gapless, which could be an particualr issue for classical music listeners. And anyone who likes Dark Side of the Moon of course :D

A

Anonymous

Interesting, and the product page is a riot...

http://www.cocktailaudio.com/whats.html

"You can rediscover your many beautiful music which had been sleeping in the CD shelf for long time."

"If there is a nice dance music in your USB memory stick, just plug it into the USB host port of X10, then you can enjoy the dance music at a level loud enough for dancing and playing the air guitar."

"Have you ever listened to a radio broadcasting from other countries? Try it and you will have a big fun."

A

Anonymous

Yeah the website is definitely entertaining, also makes me slightly suspicious though... It's a shame they don't seem to be selling them in any physical shops would be nice to be able to trial it.

A

Anonymous

Agree their own product description is entertaining. But this is forgiveable if the product produces quality sound and reliability. Why no shops sell it is suspicious given the potential appeal. Does somebody know something we don't?

A

Anonymous

amcluesent said:
the X10 will need a software upgrade to handle gapless, which could be an particualr issue for classical music listeners

Actually it is less of an issue for classical music, except for opera and the occasionally over programmed or blended sections e.g. Brahms Requiem

byakuya83

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Looks to be a very interesting prospect. The unit comes with its own amplification but as it handles digital files and has a digital output the sound quality could be improved upon quite easily.

A

Anonymous

Gapless playback is being worked on and should be in the next firmware update. As for retailers well we have it available for demo in the Midlands, there is a dealer near Kent who has them available for demo too. It's only been un UK since May so dealer base is still being built up. Don't let the description on the site put you of it was written by a Korean so i's not perfect English! If you want a better description then just visit our site.

We have been very impressed with sound quality especially considering the price. The amp is good but using your existing system will gain better results. For best results we have found using Toslink out into a decent DAC gets the best results. Especially if you have ripped it into uncompressed WAV, MP3 and FLAC playback is very good too.

If anyone has any questions about the X10 I woul dbe happy to try and answer them for you.

Shaun

John Duncan

I think this looks good value (if you put your own disk in it) and an interesting alternative to a Brennan, addressing many of that units drawbacks*. Sadly, though, it's not my turn to take a hit for the team and try it :)

* file format compatibility, hard disk size, iPhone control. My opinion only, YMMV.

A

Anonymous

My friend has one; he bought the non HDD version and fitted his own. He loves it and wouldn't do without it now. Holds thousands of CDs. :clap:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts