admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hey guys, my first post here. My amps are Rotel RC1070 and RB1070. I'd like to upgrade my B&W685s to a pair of floor-standing speakers. The budget for them is around 3k usd, and I'd like to choose from B&W CM7, CM8, or CM9. The thing is, I think the mid/bass drivers of CM8 is a little too small, and the cabinet looks too thin, u know. So maybe CM7 or CM9 is the better choice? I know CM7 is discontinued now, but the local dealer has one pair left, and they can sell me them at about 2100 usd. That's a pretty cheap price here in China. So, can anybody gimme some suggestions? Is there really such big difference in sound quality between CM7 and CM9 (priced at around 3400 usd)? Any suggestions are welcome! Many thanks!

A

Anonymous

donno why there are two threads there. I didn't do it on purpose. Can the adm. please delete one?

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

If you have a large enough room out of those 2 I would go with the CM9's, wasn't taken with the 7's or 8's.I found the 8's had a problem with midrange but was happier with the 9's no muddle and prefered the overall presentation,that was with caspian2 amp tho.

I would see if you can try them both at home first or at least one and if you not happy try the other.

Failing that can you take your amp to try them in store,if you do that it gives you the chance to try out some other speakers as well.

Good Luck

A

Anonymous

Thanks Shanka, for ur reply. Taking the speakers home to try it out ain't an option here in China. But i'll take my Rotel amps to the dealer and see if they will be a good combo with CM9s. What's a "large enough" room in ur mind? Mine is about 4x6 square meter, and it's not a close space(it' a living room).

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
I owned the CM7s for more than a year and loved them. They are superb speakers and underrated. However, I also did long side by side comparisons between the CM7s and CM9s using my own gear and without a doubt the CM9s were cleaner in the mid-range. Both great, but the CM9s are better. Also the CM9s keep the deep bass tighter. I would not get the CM8 over the CM7. I still do not understand why the CM8 replaced the CM7. The CM7 is the better speaker of the two IMO. Good luck.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the opinion. I'll listen to both pairs tomorrow and see if I can tell any difference between them.

A

Anonymous

Hi chan, I am using Cm4 that are similar to the cm7 as front speakers and I just sold my B&W 685 Rear s.

And. Bought the cm-9 as. New front speakers and move the CM-4 back, I'm using pioneer LX83 and I must say that the CM-4 ware very good, speakers as front, now with the cm-9 I missing power, maybe the speakers are new and not open yet, I think for my case the cm8 were better but I will give it a chance along with reciever setup. Correctly. And update you...

Good luck

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts