Clichéd Audio Recordings Rock

Rollo

Apr 21, 2020
Visit site
As a teenager growing up in Scotland 85-91 my youth was full of Tartan Techno, English drum & bass, NWA, Ice Cube, Dr Dre. Then came the Brit Pop years Oasis, Blur, The Verve etc. I've always bought music but my playback solutions were very dubious. Now 48 I have managed to get a modest system together. And after a major struggle rescued some 600 CDS from the loft. To my surprise half of them sound absolutely honking on my system. It's like a sonic assault! Probably due to the loudness wars... I appreciate for long term audiophiles they have heard these albums over and over. But I'd just like to say it's been an epiphany for me to start to listen to Steely Dan, Diana Krall, Miles Davis, Dave Brubeck, Eva Cassidy etc. And I think they rock!

You’re right, it’s easy to criticise because they are sometimes overplayed as demos, but these are great artists, and they all made many super recordings.

I remember first hearing Steely Dan on a friend’s Hi-Fi and being blown away at the sheer sound quality. I’ve since come to love some of the songs too!

Last edited:
Reactions: Rollo

Steve150

Sep 29, 2020
Visit site
As a teenager growing up in Scotland 85-91 my youth was full of Tartan Techno, English drum & bass, NWA, Ice Cube, Dr Dre. Then came the Brit Pop years Oasis, Blur, The Verve etc. I've always bought music but my playback solutions were very dubious. Now 48 I have managed to get a modest system together. And after a major struggle rescued some 600 CDS from the loft. To my surprise half of them sound absolutely honking on my system. It's like a sonic assault! Probably due to the loudness wars... I appreciate for long term audiophiles they have heard these albums over and over. But I'd just like to say it's been an epiphany for me to start to listen to Steely Dan, Diana Krall, Miles Davis, Dave Brubeck, Eva Cassidy etc. And I think they rock!
Hi, Just a short note, don't forget to get some Pink Floyd out.

This is why it's always been important to me to have a system that is tolerant of poorer-quality recordings, as I'd hate to have to abandon stuff that is rather rough around the edges, or to have my tastes change because of my hifi. Not that I am suggesting that's what anyone is doing, btw.

I thing Oasis's recordings are notorious for their poor quality.

Understandable.
But does that mean your very best recordings are being compromised?
I'd say that, necessarily, it must. But I do realise most people would think it a price worth paying to have the majority listenable.

I really don't know. I guess if the listener feels that their system has refinement enough to make good things sound natural and bite enough to make passionate things sound suitably feisty, whilst still making recordings that are a bit rubbish sound OK then all's good. I'm lucky to feel that's where I am.

Regarding Oasis, they are a proper pair of chimps. But I have a big soft spot for Whatever, which I used to rock the then very small 13th Monkey to sleep to, singing along to the refrain 'Whatever you do, whatever you say, yeah, I know it's alright.' Scarily, his 25th birthday is imminent...

Reactions: Rollo and Gray

matthewpiano

I'd recommend 'Tales of Mystery & Imagination' by Alan Parsons Project as another fantastic sounding album - beautifully recorded and produced, with plenty to challenge a system in all sorts of ways.

'Graceland' (Paul Simon) is another one, and chock full of superb writing and arrangements.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts