Clearer By Far?

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
After my disappointment of yesterday when trying out the various balanced XLRs and also the QED Revelation purchased from Dan, I decided I might as well give the Clearer Audio Copperline Alpha power cable (also courtesy of Dan). It was really the last throw of the dice to get something, anything, appreciably new out of the system's sound. As advised on various threads, I plugged it into the CDP rather than the amp.

I have to say I was surprised. My ears actually did what must have been an auditory(?) double-take. I immediately heard an extra sense of space and dimension around the instruments. I hadn't realised it previously, but although the Supras had added muscle whilst maintaining a good, clear sound, they had slightly constricted the virtual room in which the instruments were being played. Seemingly, out of nowhere, the Alpha added that unmistakable extra touch of echo (just enough) to give a sense of being in a music room or venue rather than a studio or booth. Hello to three dimensions!

Sadly, at this point I ran out of time, with no further opportunity to explore the sound and decide whether it really is good or just simply novelty value. It will be a few weeks before I get another chance to listen properly, but I am looking forward to it.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Power cables are the one item that sceptics say without question that they 'cannot' make any difference as its not within the actual signal path. They then go on to say cables cant make any difference anyways

Personally ive found it to be quite the opposite. Mains cables can make a system sound better. They can even make pictures on tvs look better (As it has with both my flatscreens)

Having tried various makes through the years, I personally find braided mains cables to be the best type to use (Without going into really silly money, of which I havnt tried, so cant comment)

Why do they work? They allow the mains power through to the component and (In the case of braided cables), reduce RFI in the mains. Cleaner mains help the components to do their job. Id assume that if the mains is already clean there would be no difference (Though having perfect mains is highly unlikely).

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Living where I do the chances of clean supply are minimal, so I reckon every little helps. I've tried it and I believe it works. I may not be prepared to spend large sums, but if products like the Tacima power block and the Clearer Audio cables make a difference, then I am happy to use them despite the sceptics. I can also accept that they may not work for everyone. You pays yer money...or not.

clearer_audio

Oct 20, 2007
Visit site
Hi ESP2009

Thanks for taking the time to try the Copper-line Alpha Power Cable. I am pleased that on first impressions it is providing additional dimensionality to your sound. Typical improvements to soundstaging are greater width, depth and scale (as well as placement as you have reported). Although the power cable receives a pre burn in of 24 hours after being built they do continue to improve in performance quite significantly over a period of a few weeks. You may wish to do an A-B comparison with your supplied factory power cable after this period of burn in.

I hope that the cable continues to work well for you.

Best regards,

Darren

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts