ClearAudio Concept vs TimeStep Technics modification

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi...

I've been reading so many mag/blog/forum/site reviews on both (and others) and cannot conclude what to take as both receive 5 star ratings and both have some minor issues which probably won't phase me...

I have 2 technics decks from when I was DJing (yes yes - long ago it seems) and they have been sitting around doing nothing until I have resurrected one to listen to my (uncles) most awesome and pristine (would make millions envious) 70's vinyl collection - as well as my odd one here and there including a number of modern 180g-ers... I'm used to SACD, big sound, but at the same time not quite an audiophile, however I am anal, fussy, a perfectionist...

The Concept proposes simple setup (not phased either way), good design, good price, but I am unsure what the frequency range is with the MC and I am worried about some reviews referring to light and limited highs and lows, yet the cartridge reviewed with a rather flat 20-20kHz response - is the magnetic suspension limiting something outside of this?

The TimeStep modification (just the SME 309, the oyaide platter mat and clamp, the power supply and isolation feet are being considered - not the motor, main bearing or alternate platter etc) seems like a beauty with minimal negatives... the only one being that the SME is not a V!

Has anyone spent some quality time with both of these and are knowledgeable on what they deliver? I am totally stuck and have both whirling around my head and I do hope one will come out the winner and get to play my Moody Blues, Bowie, Bjork and Strokes with the WOW factor I am hoping for over the same on SACD (not the Strokes unfortunately).

Thanks for your help!!!

A

Anonymous

Its going to be a tough task finding someone thats heard both decks, particularly as most users here are not even familiar with the Timestep Evo, and those that haven't heard it will just dismiss it instantly because its an SL1200. I've never heard the Clearaudio, so I can't comment on this. All I can do is draw comparison with my Michell and the Timestep Technics. The Technics does not sound as spacious nor does it have the same range of tonal colours as my Orbe, where it does score is dynamics, timing and image solidarity all be it fractionally superior on these fronts. I believe its also got more upgrade potential than the Clearaudio should you want to wring the last ounce of performance from the deck, I'd have no hesitation recommending this as a high end turntable package should you wish to go this route, ignore the prejudice.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Spectre said:
Its going to be a tough task finding someone thats heard both decks, particularly as most users here are not even familiar with the Timestep Evo, and those that haven't heard it will just dismiss it instantly because its an SL1200. I've never heard the Clearaudio, so I can't comment on this. All I can do is draw comparison with my Michell and the Timestep Technics. The Technics does not sound as spacious nor does it have the same range of tonal colours as my Orbe, where it does score is dynamics, timing and image solidarity all be it fractionally superior on these fronts. I believe its also got more upgrade potential than the Clearaudio should you want to wring the last ounce of performance from the deck, I'd have no hesitation recommending this as a high end turntable package should you wish to go this route, ignore the prejudice.

Good post Spectre.

I suggest that the OP gets in touch with Dave Cawley at Sound hifi. As yourself and the OP are no doubt aware that the TimeStep is his baby. Plus he is a Clearaudio Dealer.

As the OP is tuned in ,so to speak,to the technics sound then a trip to Dartmouth (if possible ?) would be beneficial if Dave has the Clearaudio on dem for a back to back listen. Ok far better at home but a start point none the less.

Or at the very least register to the Time-Step forum and post his thoughts/questions on there.

A

Anonymous

Thank you for the replies - I realise the comparison would be a stretch...

Unfortunately I am in Brisbane Australia, so a trip is presently not on the cards!

Due to the favourable (for me at least) drop of the EURO, I have gone direct to Germany and purchased the Concept... worked out much cheaper and I just love the look of them! I will upgrade my technics one day, and when I do, I will write about my findings!

Thanks again - appreciative OP.

A

Anonymous

Woule be interested to hear how the Clearaudio sounds next to the bog standard Technics using the same cartridge.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts