Classical Sound

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Can anyone advise an amp and speaker system for classical music to connect to a laptop and cd player which can deliver pure, clean, room-filling sound. My budget is around £1,000 but I can go slightly higher if temptation gets the better of me.

A

Anonymous

I hope this post is okay, but with that budget (or rather a hundred and a bit more), you can get a set of Avi ADM9T actives. I (very) recently took the plunge and they will certainly fill any room. I almost deafened myself with a bit of silly remote faffing.

They are superb with classical (as well as most anything else tbh). Simple optical from laptop (most laptop headphone sockets are dual optical/headphone) or CD player, and you're away. I have them as a second system at the moment but the sound is at least on a par with my £3000 main system (DAC,AMP,SPEAKERS).

I'll not link, as I think it may be frowned upon, but it's only a google away.

I doubt you will come anywhere near the sound quality in terms of clarity and presence for anywhere near £1000 with amp and speakers by the way

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
I would second the avi adm 9t cor classical, the detail is amazing! Or if you want more inputs and some more bottom end the avi neutron v 2.1 system could be great. My neutrons are very good with classical to my ears!
In terms of laptops it is not a given there will be a optical conection in the headphone port (i think more dont than do) so check first!

A

Anonymous

Thank you for replying - a friend also mentioned these speakers so I will go down this route to investigate further.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to differ here. When I complete the boat currently resting on the shed floor in Oz I'll maybe get some AVIs. But that's because a 23ft boat has space constraints.

If you want decent classical, then give an ear to Naim, Electrocompaniet or Densen with Harbeth. Wondeful combination - kick the AVIs into the proverbial for lovely sound. AVIs are a bit thin anda bit cold to my ears. Decent all rounders for the price, but for classical you might as well try the best. Anyway, go out and have a listen, it's fun any you could come back with something extra special.

Bit over your budget - well, double, but you won't want to change before the poms win the next soccer world cup ;)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
I'm going to differ here. When I complete the boat currently resting on the shed floor in Oz I'll maybe get some AVIs. But that's because a 23ft boat has space constraints.

If you want decent classical, then give an ear to Naim, Electrocompaniet or Densen with Harbeth. Wondeful combination - kick the AVIs into the proverbial for lovely sound. AVIs are a bit thin anda bit cold to my ears. Decent all rounders for the price, but for classical you might as well try the best. Anyway, go out and have a listen, it's fun any you could come back with something extra special.

Bit over your budget - well, double, but you won't want to change before the poms win the next soccer world cup ;)

I was trying to do that on a budget.....but throwing more money at it, makes it easier. :p

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Peachtree and Dali eh? Might give them a whirl sometime, if they're that good. The Peachtree has a Dac, if Ì remember - hmm, could be a good one for the batau (that's your genuine French, you know).

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
If you want decent classical, then give an ear to Naim, Electrocompaniet or Densen with Harbeth. Wondeful combination - kick the AVIs into the proverbial for lovely sound...

...Bit over your budget - well, double

Triple.

(The Harbeths alone are £1500, and the cheapest Electroco.. thing is around £1500 as well.)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
Peachtree and Dali eh? Might give them a whirl sometime, if they're that good. The Peachtree has a Dac, if Ì remember - hmm, could be a good one for the batau (that's your genuine French, you know).

.....I'm not sure it is, you know. Do you mean "baton" or "bateau". ;)

A

Anonymous

CnoEvil said:
My suggestion would be the Peachtree Decco 2 + Dali Zensor 1

The Zensor 1's ? Doesn't matter what amplification you throw at them, they won't come close to the Avis. I have the Dali Ikon 6's in my main system with very good amplification, and the AVi's are a very cose match, and better across the range. The Dali's are better when it comes to (deep)bass (obviously), but of course you have the dedicated subwoofer as an upgrade path. And that is not to say the AVi's are light on bass... for a compact speaker they have oodles of controlled deep stuff. And for classical, they do deliver, in spades.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Booble said:
CnoEvil said:
My suggestion would be the Peachtree Decco 2 + Dali Zensor 1

The Zensor 1's ? Doesn't matter what amplification you throw at them, they won't come close to the Avis. I have the Dali Ikon 6's in my main system with very good amplification, and the AVi's are a very cose match, and better across the range. The Dali's are better when it comes to (deep)bass (obviously), but of course you have the dedicated subwoofer as an upgrade path. And that is not to say the AVi's are light on bass... for a compact speaker they have oodles of controlled deep stuff. And for classical, they do deliver, in spades.

It is always good to give the OP alternative suggestions. I threw out the Dali Zensors to stay in budget, but if there are more funds available, then better speakers are on the cards.IMO. The Peachtree is ideal for classical music and paired with good speakers, should be on the demo list.

A

Anonymous

bay24 said:
I would second the avi adm 9t cor classical, the detail is amazing! Or if you want more inputs and some more bottom end the avi neutron v 2.1 system could be great. My neutrons are very good with classical to my ears! In terms of laptops it is not a given there will be a optical conection in the headphone port (i think more dont than do) so check first!

You might be right regarding optical, I tend to go for gaming level laptops, so my last 3 have had this. But yep, worth a check. Saying that you can get a usb audio converter with optical out for £20

Something like this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Turtle-Beach-Advantage-Laptop-Windows/dp/B0036VO4X4/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1312839118&sr=8-5

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts