Classical Music Hi-Fi System c. £600

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

tomayresss

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
Ah fair point. Problem is, I don't know of any hi-fi shops near me.

I'm not far from a Richersounds, but that will obviously all be new kit.

Anyone know of anywhere in Beds or Herts?

A

Anonymous

I would put Naim Nait into the search engine of that well known auction site and go from there. I just did and you'd already have 6 options to choose from. Its not always possible to audition what your going to buy, in particular used equipment. I don't think you'd go far wrong with Naim though. The company will still service it in years to come.

matthewpiano

The problem with Naim is that at this budget you're going to be looking at early Naits which are not really well suited to classical music. I've tried a couple and, whilst they are extremely enjoyable amplifiers in many ways, they are not that good tonally or in terms of soundstaging. You are also limited as to what speaker cables you can use.

I think you need some real focus and I'd suggest starting your search by auditioning something new. Use the NAD C315BEE amp and Quad 11L speakers as a starting point, perhaps even partnered with the C515BEE CD player. Listening to this combination could well give you the first system you are looking for but, if nothing else, it will certainly help you to start focusing in on exactly what you are looking for.

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano:The problem with Naim is that at this budget you're going to be looking at early Naits which are not really well suited to classical music. I've tried a couple and, whilst they are extremely enjoyable amplifiers in many ways, they are not that good tonally or in terms of soundstaging. You are also limited as to what speaker cables you can use.

I think you need some real focus and I'd suggest starting your search by auditioning something new. Use the NAD C315BEE amp and Quad 11L speakers as a starting point, perhaps even partnered with the C515BEE CD player. Listening to this combination could well give you the first system you are looking for but, if nothing else, it will certainly help you to start focusing in on exactly what you are looking for.

Fair enough. Obviously with banging on about them so much I have also heard early Naits and think with Linn Kans they would be ideal for classical music. I guess the difficulty is as you say, without an audition he would have to take one of our words for it.

The idea that a system is good with classical is over-egged anyway. From solo works, orchestral works, operatic and everything else theres such a dynamic range that its hard to say.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts