• If you ever spot Spam (either in the forums, or received via forum direct message) please use the Report button at the bottom of each post to make sure a Moderator can handle it quickly. Thanks for your help in keeping things running smoothly!

Class D sucks!

Surly Sid

Feb 6, 2020
Class D is the devil of audiophilia. It sounds flat and boring.
No wonder class D amps have what is called ICE modules; the sound they produce is cold and lifeless.
Class D sucks!

Dom

Aug 6, 2011
Having never owned a Class D amplifier, I can't comment on sound quality £ for £. Edit - The Dynaudio Sub 3 might be a Class D? Works fine!

Last edited:

daytona600

Oct 5, 2012
High End class D amps £10k+ are getting very good indeeed these days but not as good as Class A , AB
Gallium nitride versions are still very , very expensive $20k+ but prices will drop over the years

insider9

Sep 20, 2016
Feels this thread is more Wanky than Spanky

Nice try... you're going to have to get better at it as not many are biting. When trolling, try something that isn't so obvious

Al ears

Nice try... you're going to have to get better at it as not many are biting. When trolling, try something that isn't so obvious
It's unfortunate that many do seem to have bitten. Watching closely as the thread seems purely ones opinion and that's fine but offers little to the forum as a whole.

chris661

Oct 30, 2019
My Powersoft amps sound fine, thank you, and when they're amplifying live musicians on-stage, the sound is very much "alive".

Chris

abacus

Sep 24, 2008
Class D has come a long way since it was invented and is now used by quite a few hi-end manufactures, (PS Audio, Emotiva etc.) and while it still cannot match the very TOTL products, it soon will. (Remember Class A and class AB amplifiers sucked when they were first introduced, but then developed into top notch amplification systems)

Bill

Surly Sid

Feb 6, 2020

No, you got Spanky all wrong. I am not a troll. I am a conversation starter.

Reactions: Dom

chris661

Oct 30, 2019
Class T is still switch-mode, just a trademarked version by Tripath.
We still need to meet up, by the way. I can't seem to send you a PM, but maybe you could contact me via my website.

Chris

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
I know few friends who sold their Accuphase & Macs and are happy with Class D amps now.Considering all aspects my Hypex&Purifi Class D amps are within the best amps i have owned if i am honest.Not a big fan of Ice amps too.Good times for great hifi these days and Class D contributes and will more in future without doubt.

Reactions: Dom

Surly Sid

Feb 6, 2020
Done properly, Class D is an equal to AB (or any other class). I generally like what Class D does, but I’m quite liking the Bel Canto amplifiers as they bring the benefits of Class D but sound smoother and easier on the ear than some.
Oh no you didn't! No way Class D sounds as good as A or AB.

Esra

Feb 20, 2011
For nostalgia and some distortion some prefer you can ad the right buffer like

hey you can get 400W real vacuum tube sound,what ´s not to like :giggle:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts