Chromecast Audio streaming connection advice

Hawkwind16

May 22, 2016
Visit site
As part of a mad ebay buying spree i have just procured a Roksan Caspian M2 Amp and CD pair. *mamba*

Whats the best way to connect to Chromecast Audio - separate DAC ?

At the moment i have an optical cable link to the DAC input on my Marantz SA 8005 but i'd like to get rid of that now i have the Caspian CD due to limited space.

Thanks

rainsoothe

Yes, unless you like the SA8005 more than the Roksan cdp. Chord dacs are very well regarded, I am yet to see a negative comment on them. The new Qutest seems like a very attractive proposition, or even a mojo might be worth looking into.

insider9

Sound like you're having a lot of fun, Hawkwind16. That's the best way of doing it :) I've been doing this on and off for the last 18 months. I wouldn't worry it may seem a little chaotic. I'd also look at brands you may know less and/or expect you won't like.
That's how for instance I came across Densen which I otherwise wouldn't have known about. These seem to teach me the most about what I like/dislike.

I hope you don't mind if I share some advice on the process that seemed to work for me best. Try not to do A/B comparisons and listen to given system for at least a week or two. Don't change out the whole setup at once. Change the components gradually. For instance leave the speakers in place and exchange amplification+source. Then listen to that for a week or two. One component at a time is an ideal scenario. If you don't like a certain component listen to it until you get what it does well too not just the things you don't. There simply aren't many components that are outright rubbish and since it's in your setup already give it a fair crack of the whip.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Good advise Insider.

Just get used to something for a while. You soon know if you miss the replaced part or vice versa.

As to listening to the DAC ... sorry Insider, I still haven't bothered disconnecting the Sabre but I promise I do this tonight!!!

Thats how much I play around with Hifi.

:)

Hawkwind16

May 22, 2016
Visit site
insider9 said:
Sound like you're having a lot of fun, Hawkwind16. That's the best way of doing it :) I've been doing this on and off for the last 18 months. I wouldn't worry it may seem a little chaotic. I'd also look at brands you may know less and/or expect you won't like. That's how for instance I came across Densen which I otherwise wouldn't have known about. These seem to teach me the most about what I like/dislike.

I hope you don't mind if I share some advice on the process that seemed to work for me best. Try not to do A/B comparisons and listen to given system for at least a week or two. Don't change out the whole setup at once. Change the components gradually. For instance leave the speakers in place and exchange amplification+source. Then listen to that for a week or two. One component at a time is an ideal scenario. If you don't like a certain component listen to it until you get what it does well too not just the things you don't. There simply aren't many components that are outright rubbish and since it's in your setup already give it a fair crack of the whip.

Yes, i do think that's good advice thanks

As part of my buying spree i've also gained two pairs of bookshelf speakers and some new cable so it's all a bit mad at the moment !

I think in the short term i'll try and use the SA 8005 as a DAC, which is pretty good, but I am eying up the Chords in order to get the best from hi res downloads.

insider9

drummerman said:
Good advise Insider.

Just get used to something for a while. You soon know if you miss the replaced part or vice versa.

As to listening to the DAC ... sorry Insider, I still haven't bothered disconnecting the Sabre but I promise I do this tonight!!!

Thats how much I play around with Hifi.

:)

Excellent looking forward to your thoughts.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts