Chromecast Audio alternative?

Reveldinho

Aug 2, 2021
Visit site
Hi, I have moved my Pro-Ject turntable to a new room and plan to add active speakers (e.g. Steljes Audio NS3) to the setup. I would like to stream my owned music and internet radio to them. I already have a Chromecast in another room which would work perfectly but recently discovered that Google have stopped making them.
Question: can anyone recommend an alternative to Chromecast audio for streaming music from my android handset (e.g. through iBroadcast, BBC Sounds and Replaio radio)?
I've seen some alternatives such as the SONOS Port but this is significantly more expensive than what was a ~£35 Chromecast Audio.
I would also prefer not to use bluetooth from my phone as it ties up my handset, drains the battery and also kills streaming apps due to the aggressive battery saving management.
I could get a Pure F3 internet radio but I only need the brains, not the amplifier and speaker hardware.
Any thoughts?
Cheers,
Will.

Reactions: Scaadoo
D

Deleted member 116933

Hi, I have moved my Pro-Ject turntable to a new room and plan to add active speakers (e.g. Steljes Audio NS3) to the setup. I would like to stream my owned music and internet radio to them. I already have a Chromecast in another room which would work perfectly but recently discovered that Google have stopped making them.
Question: can anyone recommend an alternative to Chromecast audio for streaming music from my android handset (e.g. through iBroadcast, BBC Sounds and Replaio radio)?
I've seen some alternatives such as the SONOS Port but this is significantly more expensive than what was a ~£35 Chromecast Audio.
I would also prefer not to use bluetooth from my phone as it ties up my handset, drains the battery and also kills streaming apps due to the aggressive battery saving management.
I could get a Pure F3 internet radio but I only need the brains, not the amplifier and speaker hardware.
Any thoughts?
Cheers,
Will.

You can still get them on eBay for a somewhat inflated price but if they work for you you still won't find a cheaper streamer that does so much.

you'd could also have a look at a raspberry pie and if you don't want to put them together you could get them off Allo digital.

smbmetal

Sep 8, 2007
Visit site
As the above poster has said you're unlikely to find as cheap a streamer as the Chromecast audio

I think the nearest you will probably get to the Chromecast audio would be something like this:

Unfortunately it's not £35 but is relatively cheap for a streamer. My Folks have one and they really like it.

Navanski

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Any thoughts?
Cheers,
Will.
I totally agree, there seems to be a gap in the market now for a simple streaming device with a digital output. I managed to get a Goodmans Module before they were also discontinued. In terms of reliability these things are a mixed bag. I had to return the first one because it only lasted 3 days before totally giving up. And that was a recurring theme according to the reviews on Amazon. However, bearing in mind they were only £15 when I bought it, once you get a reliable unit they're great. The Roberts RS1 was another cheap device which, again, has been discontinued.
If you wish to stick with Chromecast then the opportunity exists to strip the audio from the HDMI output but that requires another bit of hardware and additional cost.
I ended up following a video by John Darko extolling the virtues of the Xiaomi Mi Box S. It's a small Android TV box but has both USB and optical digital outputs. Look the video up, it's easy to find.

Witterings

Not as cheap but a WiiM Pro, you can either stream directly to it depending what service you use, it also has Chromecast built into it so could use that and also set up multiroom with the CCA you already have if you ever wanted.

daveh75

Xiaomi Mi box S is another option.

Yes, it's a TV box, but more importantly it has mini-Toslink and USB audio connections and is usually around £50 - 60 mark.

Darko reviewed and blogged about using it as a headless streamer some time ago ISTR.

TRENDING THREADS