Christmas music

Greenwich_Man

Sep 6, 2008
Visit site
What music came into your home this Christmas...

Please list it all even if it was for your kids (I'm interested)

My wife got Susan Boyle and Jim Reeves - she listened to both of them this morning

My presents were not music or hi-fi related

A

Anonymous

I got these two, superb
emotion-1.gif
:

Katherine Jenkins, Believe
Ludovico Einaudi, Nightbook

Bought my GF:

Norah Jones, The Fall

Still need to give Einaudi a proper listen.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
Black Eyed Peas - The End. Fantastic :). More tomorrow shopping :)

Bought my wife Michael Buble's new one and Take that circus on blu ray

A

Anonymous

Foo fighters greatest hits

Black eyed peas-The end , god I love fergie., Wish she was in my stocking, LOL

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
I got Michael Buble`s new album and `Skyforger` by Amorphis.

My son got `Axe To Fall` by Converge on cd and vinyl. He also got `Sonic Boom` by Kiss, `Once Sent From Golden Hall` by Amon Amarth, solo album by Ace Frehey plus a Kiss dvd and a Twisted Sister dvd.

My missus got Take That live dvd.

Don`t think my daughter got any but I know she has a couple lined up for her birthday on New Years Eve including `Now That`s What I Call Music` number something or other and an album by someone who`s name I can`t remember. Sean Jay or Jay Sean perhaps?

A

Anonymous

igglebert:
Ludovico Einaudi, Nightbook[/i]
Still need to give Einaudi a proper listen.

Didn't know you were a fan igglebert.

It's a grower so give it some spins. In my opinion , it's his best. Originally, I thought it 'just another Einaudi' and I didn't like the extra instrumentation of later releases but now love it. I saw him at The Sage in Gateshead earlier in the month and he (and the musicians) were absolutely sublime. One of the best concerts I've ever been too, and I'm mainly into hard rock! He did all the tracks on here.

Best tracks, for me, are the two build up pieces, 'Eros' and 'The Tower', followed by 'The Crane Dance' and the two 'Snow Preludes'. Post when you've had a chance to listen.

A

Anonymous

Nice one Graham. I'm annoyed because I just spent three hours in the car and could have given it a good listen. Judging by track one it would have been a good night driving soundtrack.

I've had a similar sort of journey with Einaudi. Fell in love with his earlier piano work and was a bit shocked to hear the other stuff with a larger composition. It does grow on you once you get a feel for what sort of music it is.

I'll let you know how I get on with Nightbook. Really looking forward to listening uninterrupted. Thanks for your thoughts.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Myself:

1) The Strange Boys (and Girls Club) LP (vinyl)*
2) Fall Be Kind EP - Animal Collective (vinyl)
3) Is There Nothing We Could Do ? - Badly Drawn Boy (CD)

Wife:

1) See Saw - Lisa Hannigan
2) The Asylum Years - Judee Sill

Daughter (14 years old):

1) Out Of Ashes - Dead By Sunrise
2) Hunky Dory - David Bowie

* new to me, and picked up when referenced by bloke out of The Cribs in one of those end of year round-ups & recommendations.

It's fantastic. Scuzzy, garage-y, exuberant-y.

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
I was happy to find Micachu and the shapes, The dead weather and animal collective in my stocking. The surprise sound of christmas in our house this year was the xx everyone seemed to like it!

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
No laughing

My wife had "Il Divo live in Barcelona" on Bluray, actually quite good.

One daughter went for "Westlife, Leonna Lewis and Queen"

Greenwich_Man

Sep 6, 2008
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson:
Wife: 2) The Asylum Years - Judee Sill .

Now that sounds good - I was really into Judee Sill in the '70s - it was sad about her demise

I had her albums on LP - I think I'll get round to that CD this year

I saw her at Leeds town hall once - she was very good - but the audience were there for Roy Harper and they gave her a hard time.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Greenwich_Man:
Charlie Jefferson:
Wife: 2) The Asylum Years - Judee Sill .

Now that sounds good - I was really into Judee Sill in the '70s - it was sad about her demise

I had her albums on LP - I think I'll get round to that CD this year

I saw her at Leeds town hall once - she was very good - but the audience were there for Roy Harper and they gave her a hard time.

Only discovered her a few years ago through exposure to the sublime "The Kiss". A sad demise as you mention.

The only footage I've seen is of her performing The Kiss on TOGWT, on one of the DVD compilations released awhile ago.

My older brother's a big Roy Harper fan, and often regales me with the tale of seeing him perform erratically in Halifax, one dark winter's night. Sympathetic audience, hostile performer apparently.

What's with these grouchy, drunken folk guys? Goes with the territory, I guess.

A

Anonymous

Jamie Cullum - The Pursuit. His best since 2003 debut.

Thea Gilmore - Strange Communion. Not had much chance to listen but sounds great.

Bob Dylan's Xmas album. I know whatr you're thinking. Give it a go!

Greenwich_Man

Sep 6, 2008
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson:
Only discovered her a few years ago through exposure to the sublime "The Kiss". A sad demise as you mention.
The only footage I've seen is of her performing The Kiss on TOGWT, on one of the DVD compilations released awhile ago.
My older brother's a big Roy Harper fan, and often regales me with the tale of seeing him perform erratically in Halifax, one dark winter's night. Sympathetic audience, hostile performer apparently.
What's with these grouchy, drunken folk guys? Goes with the territory, I guess.

Roy Harper went off to the states for a while - he got fed up with us British - in my last place of work I knew a chap who had recently discovered Roy Harper and was keen on him and his son Ben. I can listen to RH but not the music I would go out and purchase.

Now Judee Sill I could listen to for ages - she was so talented - The Kiss was SO Good

A

Anonymous

I have a latecomer present! The CD Bert Jansch, The Black Swan.

Never had any folk music before but this is quite nice to relax to and well produced! Anyone else into folk?

Greenwich_Man

Sep 6, 2008
Visit site
igglebert:Anyone else into folk?

I went to see Ralph McTell a few weeks ago (Streets of London) He was very good - Though I went with a pal who has some of his CDs - I havn't got any of his stuff

Dylan was folk - got some of his early stuff

I love Joan Baez - really good folk - lovely voice - have some of her music (LPs and CDs)

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
The old "Christmas Carols from Kings College, Cambridge" remains my favourite. Ok I'm a sentimental old fool but there's nothing that speaks of Xmas past in the same way. You can get it from Amazon.

I've also got "A Baroque Christmas" on Decca which you can get as an import from Amazon which is very calming and seasonal.

Chris

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts