Choosing stands for RX2s

theexcitableboy

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I've been posting quite a bit recently, I've been trying to come to a decision about which equipment to upgrade to. I've settled on either the Marantz PM6004 or the 7004, I could maybe do with some clarification as to how much better than the 6004 the 7004 is. I understand the Regio Brio R is probably the best at the £500 price range, but it isn't really for me for a number of reasons.

In terms of speakers, I'm pretty intent on going for the Monitor Audio Silver RX2s, from reading many reviews they seem to be perfect for me, and they should pair great with either of the Marantz amps (would I be better off with the PM7004 or will the 6004 suffice?)

My main issue is choosing stands. My room is quite small so I don't want anything really imposing, I'm steering clear of big blocky stands. I'm looking at either the Soundstyle Z2i, or the Atacama Nexus 6i. Both get great reviews from WHF?, but will either be okay for the RX2s? After having spend £525 on speakers I need a budget stand, can't afford to shell out hundreds.

Will either of those stands be okay? And what about the PM6004 vs the PM7004? I can't audition the RX2s where I live unfortunately.

Many thanks for your continued help,

Joseph :)

A

Anonymous

The RX2's are pretty big bookshelves and weigh about 10kg each (I think), I know you've mentioned you dont want big blocky stands but I think the Soundstyle Z1 stands would suit them very well. They are sturdy and pretty heavy and are usually around £90 a pair. With regards to the amplification if I was in your shoes I would look at the 7004. Most people get the 6004 to go with the BX2's and as the RX2's have a bigger mid/bass driver and better frequency response the more powerful marantz should work well. Let me know how you find the RX2's as there likely to be my next speaker.

pantonius

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
Hi theexitableboy,

Maybe Rx1 will be better choice for you.

They do not need so much space.

Also they go well with Z2.

Rx2 need bigger stands for best sound.

theexcitableboy

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Mohsin said:
The RX2's are pretty big bookshelves and weigh about 10kg each (I think), I know you've mentioned you dont want big blocky stands but I think the Soundstyle Z1 stands would suit them very well. They are sturdy and pretty heavy and are usually around £90 a pair. With regards to the amplification if I was in your shoes I would look at the 7004. Most people get the 6004 to go with the BX2's and as the RX2's have a bigger mid/bass driver and better frequency response the more powerful marantz should work well. Let me know how you find the RX2's as there likely to be my next speaker.

Thank you very much for the advice. I'm aware of the size of the RX2s - seeing them for real really shocked me. I've checked out those Soundstyle Z1s. They look okay. A bit chunkier than I had in mind for my room but I think it's necessary for the size and weight of the RX2s. I'll definitely keep them in mind.

Amplification - I'd been reading a bit more about it and I certainly agree that the 7004 would be a better choice - it's a slight stretch of budget but will be worth it I hope. I won't be purchasing any of this for a while yet, I'm still saving up, putting some money aside each week, up to £150 so far, hopefully won't be too long and I'll get back to you regarding the RX2s' sound :dance:

I'm just a little concerned that this is too much for a 4m x 3m room, I can get the speakers 20cm from the rear wall and at least a metre from side walls but I'm no expert with room acoustics. :?

Thanks again for the help!

EDIT: just noticed your reply pantonius! I had considered the RX1 but, my reason for upgrading is a thin, harsh sound. I want something I can keep for a long time, not something I'll look at and think "why didn't I go for the next one up?". I'll keep looking out for a place in the North East to audition both so I can see for myself. Thanks for your help :)

Have to admit I don't have great experience with speaker stands but when I had some PMCs on home dem a while back I had these stands http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kudos-S50-Speaker-Stands-/120960058466?_trksid=p5197.m1992&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D14%26meid%3D1075578992376925821%26pid%3D100015%26prg%3D1006%26rk%3D1%26.

Sound fabulous and Audio-T are currently selling these exact ones at £200. They are very heavy... certainly should make the RX2s really sing.

http://www.audiot.co.uk/search/kudos%20speaker%20stands/

I notice that you say you can't afford hundreds and personally think either of the stands you suggest would be fine but you want to go for the one with the largest top plate . Make sure they are OK heightwise, putting tweeter at roughly ear height when you are seated in listening position is generally recommended.

theexcitableboy

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Alears said:
I notice that you say you can't afford hundreds and personally think either of the stands you suggest would be fine but you want to go for the one with the largest top plate . Make sure they are OK heightwise, putting tweeter at roughly ear height when you are seated in listening position is generally recommended.

I'm still undecided stand-wise. A friend of mine has KEF Q300s (similar size to RX2) on Z2i stands and they look great and don't seem precarious. I'll see if I can get an audition of the stands with the speakers. Thanks for your input, especially the tip about tweeter height :)

pantonius

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
EDIT: just noticed your reply pantonius! I had considered the RX1 but, my reason for upgrading is a thin, harsh sound. I want something I can keep for a long time, not something I'll look at and think "why didn't I go for the next one up?". I'll keep looking out for a place in the North East to audition both so I can see for myself. Thanks for your help
smile.png

theexcitableboy

Surely you're right about "why Did not I go for the next one up".
Is the same thing I thought when I just bought BX2, Rx2 because they only cost £ 150 more :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts