Choosing high-quality equipment that is compatible

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Upgrading my systems - Choosing high-quality equipment that is compatible.

I'm contacting you for an "idiot's guide" to upgrading sound and TV systems. Currently I have Freesat with a Sky box linked to a fairly old TV and with separate video and DVD players linked in. Reducing prices and the prospect of high-definition viewing are encouraging me to spend some money, but I'm not completely sure what I need and how to ensure compatibility. My main interest is opera so sound quality is also important.

1) I want to be able to receive and view HD tv programmes

2) I want to be able to record a couple of digital TV programmes while watching a third if possible and not to lose much quality through recording and playing back.

3) I want to be able to play HD DVDs

4) I want pretty good sound without paying the earth. Do I need separate speakers from those in the TV and, if so what should I get?

5) I also want to replace my audio CD player and produce good quality sound. Can I use the same speakers for TV and audio sound?

I was thinking of going for the Panasonic TX-26LXD70. Can you recommend other equipment (including cables) that will be of a similar quality and go with it?

Is it an easy matter to set up all this equipment to work together?

How long before advancing technology makes this equipment obsolete? Should I be buying now or waiting a bit?

Thanks

Shug

A

Anonymous

There are too many options - what is your budget? There is no reason to wait, except for blu-ray, i wouldn't bother yet as i really couldn't imagine using it much.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Shug"]
1) I want to be able to receive and view HD tv programmes

[/quote]

Best bet at the moment would be Sky HD, especially with the Sky Arts HD channel broadcasting quite a lot of opera and classical music in HD and 5.1 surround. There will be HDTV on Freesat at some point soon, but it will require a new box and the channel offering is unlikely to include Sky Arts.

[quote user="Shug"]

2) I want to be able to record a couple of digital TV programmes
while watching a third if possible and not to lose much quality through
recording and playing back.

[/quote]

The Sky HD box will let you record two channels at once, but not watch a third. For that you could use your TV's internal tuner to watch programmes while recording the other two.

I expect the new Freesat offering to include PVRs - hard disk recorders - but as yet have no details.

[quote user="Shug"]

3) I want to be able to play HD DVDs

[/quote]

Are you sure? Yes, there are some classical HD DVDs available, notably from Opus Arte, but the format is looking rather precarious at the moment, as you can read in other threads on this forum. I'd hold fire on buying a high-definition player for now.

[quote user="Shug"]

4) I want pretty good sound without paying the earth. Do I need
separate speakers from those in the TV and, if so what should I get?

[/quote]

Yes, you should definitely invest in better speakers to make the most of this new system. What you mean by 'paying the earth' I'm not sure, but a combination such as the Onkyo TX-SR505 receiver and a set of Q Acoustics 1010 5.1 speakers, or the little KEF 1005.2 package, would easily outperform your TV's speakers. Receiver about £250, speakers around £500 (Q Acoustics) or £300ish (KEF).

The Onkyo TX-SR605 receiver, at £400, would be even better.

[quote user="Shug"]

5) I also want to replace my audio CD player and produce good
quality sound. Can I use the same speakers for TV and audio sound?

[/quote]

Kind of depends what you're using now. If you have a good CD player and speakers it's possible to integrate this with the system suggested above - let me know what you have and I'll give some more specific advice.

[quote user="Shug"]

I was thinking of going for the Panasonic TX-26LXD70.

[/quote]

HD will be wasted on a screen that small, even if you sit with your nose against it. I'd be thinking more in terms of a 32in or even 37in screen as a minimum. Panasonic do some very good, very sensibly-priced models in this size.

[quote user="Shug"]

Can you
recommend other equipment (including cables) that will be of a similar
quality and go with it?

[/quote]

Let's get decided on the basics of the system, and then we'll get on to cable advice.

[quote user="Shug"]

Is it an easy matter to set up all this equipment to work together?

[/quote]

Yes, pretty simple, but don't worry - we'll be here to guide you!

[quote user="Shug"]

How long before advancing technology makes this equipment obsolete? Should I be buying now or waiting a bit?

[/quote]

If I knew that, I'd be writing this from aboard a yacht in the Bahamas. Or quite possibly not writing this at all!

emotion-1.gif

But with the caveats regarding the Freesat/Sky HD thing, and the choice of an HD disc player, I'd say the equipment I've suggested above would be a pretty safe start.

A

Anonymous

Andrew

Many thanks for your detailed response to my questions - I feel I'm in safe hands!

The thing you said which really made me think was that there was no point bothering about HD if the screen is only 26". I hadn't realised that. Obviously I have to decide on screen size first. There is no point going for a much more expensive TV if I'm not going to see any difference. We could possibly do with a bigger screen - we normally sit 10-12 feet away from the TV.

Currently I've got a Thomson 24" old-fashioned TV, a Sky freeview box, a Sharp VCMH705 video player/recorder and an Allwrite Lite-on LVW 5006 DVD recorder/player (though I don't use the recorder as the video is so much simpler to use). As far as audio CD & tapes are concerned I currently have a very cheap system Philips FW-C115 mini.

Is the DVD format on the way out, or is it just that HD DVD is not likely to take off? Perhaps I can get rid of DVD recorder and video recorder relying on the hard disk in the Skybox to keep unseen TV programmes for me.

I would probably be prepared to pay up to £2000 in total to replace this system, but would prefer to pay less. I'd like to make significant improvements, but don't need top of the range stuff as I'm not that discriminating.

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

Shug

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Shug"]The thing you said which really made me think was that there was no point bothering about HD if the screen is only 26". I hadn't realised that. Obviously I have to decide on screen size first. There is no point going for a much more expensive TV if I'm not going to see any difference. We could possibly do with a bigger screen - we normally sit 10-12 feet away from the TV.[/quote]

I'd think a 37 or even 42in TV would be much better at that distance. FWIW we have a 50in plasma at home, and sit at about the same distance, and Sky Arts HD stuff looks fabulous on that.

[quote user="Shug"]Is the DVD format on the way out, or is it just that HD DVD is not likely to take off? Perhaps I can get rid of DVD recorder and video recorder relying on the hard disk in the Skybox to keep unseen TV programmes for me.[/quote]

No sign of the DVD format vanishing - given the installed base of players and current DVD software sales, can't see that happening any time in the near future.

No, it's just that the HD video world is in a bit of turmoil at the moment since Warner Home Entertainment decided to drop HD DVD and go all-Blu-ray, so I'd hold fire on buying any kind of HD player, be it HD DVD or Blu-ray, for a while.

Yes, you can use your Sky HD box to record unseen programmes, but the storage tends to fill up arather quickly when you're keeping HD material. But as long as you only use it for timeshifting and not keeping programmes for ever, it'll be fine.

[quote user="Shug"]Currently I've got a Thomson 24" old-fashioned TV, a Sky freeview box, a Sharp VCMH705 video player/recorder and an Allwrite Lite-on LVW 5006 DVD recorder/player (though I don't use the recorder as the video is so much simpler to use). As far as audio CD & tapes are concerned I currently have a very cheap system Philips FW-C115 mini.[/quote]

A decent DVD player, such as the £300 Marantz DV6001 or even the £150 Denon DVD-1740, used with the other equipment I've suggested, will outperform your current recorder with DVDs, and your Philips with CD.

A

Anonymous

Hi Andrew

Thinking over what you've said, I think I'll do this upgrading in stages and concentrate first on TV, Sky HD box and new speakers. I can leave the DVD issue as we seldom use it at present: the key requirements are watching TV and the facility for recording programmes for watching later. I may eventually wish to store high-quality opera or ballet programmes to disk, but I can leave that for now.

A 32" TV is quite big enough for us as I don't want it to dominate the room.What Hi-Fi? recommend a Samsung at £700 and a Panasonic at £1000. Any thoughts?

Presumably the Sky HD receiver handles non-HD programmes too. Are there options about how much internal storage they have? Presumably I apply to Sky for it when I subscribe to one of their packages.

Any thoughts on speakers - I don't see the point of surround sound as one never sits in the middle of an orchestra. Then I'll need cables.

As usual, all thoughts gratefully received.

Shug

John Duncan

All HD TV sources will be a compromise compared to your wish list. Virgin V+ will allow you to record two programmes while watching a third, Sky has better content, a Humax Freeview PVR will record two while you watch a third (as long as the third programme is on the same multiplex as one of the programmes you're recording) but it's not HD.

I personally am waiting for HD on Freeview (sooner than you think), albeit it at compromised compression rates, and am sticking with DVD until format wars end and/or prices go 'consumer'.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Shug"]A 32" TV is quite big enough for us as I don't want it to dominate the room.What Hi-Fi? recommend a Samsung at £700 and a Panasonic at £1000. Any thoughts?[/quote]

The Samsung is good, the Panasonic even better. But I still don't think you'll see the benefits of HD on a screen that size.

[quote user="Shug"]Presumably the Sky HD receiver handles non-HD programmes too. Are
there options about how much internal storage they have? Presumably I
apply to Sky for it when I subscribe to one of their packages.[/quote]

Yes it does handle non-HD, too.

No, it's a fixed size of hard-drive - 300GB IIRC - of which half is partitioned off for use by the Sky Anytime service, which pushes programmes you may have missed down to the box overnight.

You can install a larger hard-drive if you wish, but this of course invalidates the warranty.

Yes, you just sign up for the Sky package, and buy the box through Sky.

[quote user="Shug"]I don't see the point of surround sound
as one never sits in the middle of an orchestra.[/quote]

Agreed, but then that's not the effect surround sound delivers. Rather it allows the system to recreate the sense of being in a concert-hall or opera house, with the sound still focused forward, as it would be if you were at the event.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Andrew

The "idiot" is beginning to see the light. If I want to watch a 32" TV, from about 3m away I'll get very little benefit from HD. So be it! In that case, do I need a Sky HD box or will the one I'm currently using for Freeview be adequate? Presumably it's still a good idea to get separate speakers. The Panasonic TX-32LXD700 is quoted at £1000 but is available for about £745 which seems a good buy. Presumably the quality will be significantly better than my current TV.

Shug

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
For a screen that size at that distance I think your current set-up will be fine. I'm really not sure you'll see the benefit of Sky HD, but a good retailer should be able to demonstrate both HD and SD on a screen at this size and let you make up your mind for yourself.

A separate amplifier and speakers will make the most of the TV sound, or you could buy one of the 'soundbar' speakers available from companies such as Yamaha, Denon and Marantz, which combines amplification and speakers in one enclosure designed to be used beneath the TV screen.

Yes, the Panasonic would be an excellent buy.

A

Anonymous

Most helpful - I'd not come across soundbars before. The YSP-30D looks a very neat solution.

I'm proposing to buy the Panasonic TX-32LXD700 and probably the Yamaha YSP-30D soundbar and also invest in the Sky HD box. I may well move my viewing position forward to 2m for something special, when the HD would begin to be noticeable, I believe, even on a 32" screen.

Any problems of connectivity? - I saw reference to a Veira connection, or something, on the forum, for the Panasonic. Do I just need a HDMI cable from Skybox to TV and another from TV to the soundbar? Presumably there are no problems of lip-sych with the soundbar.

I've seen references in the mag to multichannel receivers. Are these used between TV signal and TV (instead of a Skybox) or what exactly are they used for?

Shug

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Shug"]Any problems of connectivity? - I saw reference to a Veira connection, or something, on the forum, for the Panasonic. [/quote]

Viera Link enables several Panasonic components to 'talk to each other' via the HDMI cable, thus enabling advanced remote control functions. Not relevant here.

[quote user="Shug"]
Do I just need a HDMI cable from Skybox to TV and another from TV to
the soundbar? Presumably there are no problems of lip-sych with the
soundbar.[/quote]

If you're sticking with the standard Sky box, then you just need an RGB Scart cable from Sky box to TV, and an optical digital audio connection to the soundbar.

For Sky HD, HDMI from Sky box to TV, and again optical from Sky box to soundbar.

[quote user="Shug"]I've seen references in the mag to multichannel receivers. Are
these used between TV signal and TV (instead of a Skybox) or what
exactly are they used for?[/quote]

They're combined AV processors and amplifiers, used to drive a set of surround speakers. Recievers as they have a radio tuner built-in, as opposed to amplifiers, which don't.

You don't need one of these if you're going for a Yamaha soundbar, as this has all the processing, amplification and speakers built-in.

A

Anonymous

Andrew

I'm delighted with the help you've given me, Andrew. When you haven't given much thought to these things for years, the problem is that you don't even know what you don't know. I'm happy to move forward with the Panasonic TV and the Yamaha soundbar.

I assume you must work for What Hi-Fi? as you are there full-time. Is that the case?

I'll improve the rest of the system once I've got this lot working. I'll want a new audio CD player. Will I be able to use the soundbar with that? At some stage I'll want new DVD player/recorder but I'll leave that till it's clearer which format is going to win.

Shug

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes I do work full-time here at Haymarket - though some would say that's debatable! - on the WHFSV Ultimate Guides and Gramophone's audio pages.

Yes, you can plug a CD player into the soundbar.

A

Anonymous

Andrew

I'm now ready to order. I've decided against HD altogether as the extra costs seem to outweigh the benefits for a 32" screen. So it's Sky+ box, Panasonic TV, Yamaha soundbar and new CD player.

Final check - what cables do you suggest if I don't want HD? and what do I connect to what?

Thanks

Shug

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts