Choice of surround speakers

power

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Im posting this for the 2nd time as I didnt get much response on y 1st post.I need some advice on how to choose surround speakers. I currently have B&W CM8's and CMC2 and my old floorstander Wharfedale Evo 2-30 as surrounds. I want to have bookshlefs or in-ceiling as surrounds and I want some advice.

I am thinking of going the B&W route for the sake of uniformity though it's said that you can get away with a different brand surrounds. I can go for either of the following speakers: B&W 685 or CM5 or the in ceiling B&W. I use my system for both HT and music but when I play music I dont do multichannel but 2 channel stereo only. My surrounds only come on during Movie and normal TV watching

Price is always an issue because of opportunity costs but I always want to get the best out of my system. I know some of you will say its your ears and your money but I just want a response based on your experience of surround speakers and the role they play.What I would like to know is which speakers between bookshelves and in-ceiling will serve my purpose well considering that I use surrounds for movie and Music DVDs watching and only use my fronts for music

A

Anonymous

Although the rears arent as important to match as the front three, I would suggest sticking with the same range if budget and room layout allows. Although the CM5 have a bigger 6.5" driver than the 5" on the CM8 the cabinets will be acoustically matched and create a better overall sound stage IMO.

power

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
I agree with what you are saying regarding the uniformity but since I use the surround speakers for movies only will using in-ceiling take away some quality that would be delivered by the CM5's. Is there CM5's not an overkill for my application?

Sliced Bread

I use cm1's with my cm8's and they integrate superbly and they are the recommended rear speaker for the cm8 by B&W themselves. When I asked them the same question they said the cm5 will be a better match for the cm9s.

I also would not go for the 6 range either as they sound quite different to gthe cm range. Imo matching the rears is quite important. You can still get a good effect with a non matching rear, but a matching rear is more likely to give you that seamless surround experience. The cm1's achieve this as they match well with the cm8 and are very good at throwing sound out and away from the speaker.

I've not tried in ceilings though. Call b&w. They are very helpful with questions like this. I would love to know.what they say too.

A

Anonymous

If the CM1 have the same size Driver & same construction, then as mentioned above these will offer the best tonal match and effect soundstage. If you go down the in-ceiling route, then I suggest you get the rear enclosures too, this way you can ensure that both rear speakers have the same volume & tone.

Sliced Bread

markjaspi said:
If the CM1 have the same size Driver & same construction, then as mentioned above these will offer the best tonal match and effect soundstage. If you go down the in-ceiling route, then I suggest you get the rear enclosures too, this way you can ensure that both rear speakers have the same volume & tone.
Yes indeed. The cabinets are also the same width, which makes a difference.

Also narrower speakers tend to image better (although I'm sure there are exceptions), which is exactly what your after in a rear speaker.

They care cheaper too ;)

power

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
What I want to know is will the bookshelves have a significant advantage over the in-ceilings? Im asking this because the in-ceilings are good for aesthetics as it reduces the number of speakers in a room. I wouldnt want to sacrifice sound quality over aesthetics though. I just want an objective experience about the two alternatives

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts