Choice of 2 speakers

bemaniac

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I have a Marantz pm6003 and find it to be of high qulity and powerful enough for any speakers I've tried so far like my monitor audio s1s which are lovely with a metal sound to the tweeters.

I am buying speakers and am looking for opinions betwee:

Mordaunt Short Mezzo 8 (my friend has a pair he is selling)

Kef q500 (the trade in deal at sevenoaks)

I can get both of these for under £600 and I want slamming bass for my drum n bass but beautiful high end for my aphex twin and more acoustic chillout stuff.

Help! I simply will buy one of these 2 in the next 5 days!

bemaniac

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Ps my room is small only 3 by 6 meters. Neighbours are not an issue I'm allowed max volume day and night we have an agreement.

Also it's now between 3 speakers adding in the Acoustic Energy Neo 4 which I can also get for well under £600 new.

A

Anonymous

the Mordaunt shorts will do the job nicely. In particular the tweeter will be excellent for electronic music, one of my favorites. A good purchase at under 600 and plenty of slam when needed.

good luck , and the Marantz will be more than capable of making them perform.

A

Anonymous

Just to add, don't discount the Mordaunt short Aviano 6's. They are available from Richer sounds brand new for 499.They will give you everything you want in spades.

In my opinion most of MS more recent speakers, including the 904,906,914 e.t.c have all been particularly well suited to electronic music. I know I would say that and I am an unashamed fan of the brand.

matthewpiano

I am in agreement with The Limey. Mordaunt-Short have recaptured their earlier strengths in more recent designs and the Aviano and Mezzo ranges are superb. The tweeters in particularly are unusually good for the price and combine insight with real control even when pushed by high strings or (more appropriate to your tastes) synth sounds. The sense of cohesion that these designs achieve is quite something and there is a great sense of rhythm and timing that nevertheless avoids sounding forced or un-natural.

Another unashamed fan of a brand that performs massively above its price point.

bemaniac

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
THanks to Matthew and LImey I'm really excited and seriously thinking about the Mezzos now. Have 1 further speaker to throw into the mix as a wildcard as its cheapish 'Tannoy Eyris DC3' and maybe Acoustic Energy Radiance 3 as they are on sale for £592 shipped on the bay.

A

Anonymous

Hi bemaniac, even with these two new suggestions I would still, considering your listening habits suggest the same. Just my opinion

good luck with your choise.

bemaniac

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Thanks I've now heard the Mezzo 8s and Aviano 8s and really preferred the Mezzo 8. Today I'll be auditioning some Quad 22L2 and Kef Q500s as well as some B&W 683/684 before deciding on a purchase :) I'm going to ask the shop to show me some Monitor Audio Floorstanders to like bx6 and rx6

A

Anonymous

IMO the QUAD 22L2's along with the Monitor Audio BX5's would be my choice

The M/A RX6's are superb speakers but for them to sing at their best; they need a more powerful amp than the Marantz. The M/A BX6's are a bit overkill, more so for your room (in saying that I'd say most floorstanding speakers would be).

Have you thought about decent standmount speakers on good stands (i.e. Monitor Audio RX1's or 2's, B&W 685's, Dynaudio DM 2/6's etc...)? These speakers on decent, mass loaded stands (i.e. Partington Super Dreadnoughts or Atacama HMS1's loaded with Atabites) would be a superb match for your system and room but still with plenty of deep, punchy and well timed bass, great midrange and crisp/clear highs
smiley-cool.gif

bemaniac

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
Well I tested everything with my amp and cables and the cd6003 and I went for the Kef q500s they are just sooooooo much better than the B&W speakers and £140 cheaper with the sale on :D Just running them in with some good ol' Aphex Twin. My amp will receive an upgrade next so I can get these a bit louder at 10 o' clock volume at I'm at 12 o'clock now. The dual concentric driver at the top of these is what gave them the edge over the bx6 rx6 683 and I'm only a bit miffed that my budget today didn't stretch to q700s but for that I would probably have needed an amp upgrade same day to get them to my desired volume :p Thanks for all the info and I'm shocked there isn't more on the web about reviews of the q500/700 because they are miles ahead of the competition in that price bracket. The bass drivers lok awesome in motion because the bottom 2 are in a separate cabinet and move like a seesaw.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts