• If you ever spot Spam (either in the forums, or received via forum direct message) please use the Report button at the bottom of each post to make sure a Moderator can handle it quickly. Thanks for your help in keeping things running smoothly!

Cheaper speakers, better sound?????

obiwan kenobi

New member
Aug 8, 2012
24
0
0
I read on this site a user review about the Q acoustics 3050. At his home came a older ex Tannoy employee who has the Tannoy XT8F. In this review, see at user reviews Q acoustics, the owner of the 3050 says the ex Tannoy employee found the much cheaper 3050 better this own Tannoy xt8f!

Is it so that more expensive speakers let hear you how bad a record is and the cheaper not? And that's why the cheaper one more fun to listen to it?
 

Andrewjvt

New member
Jun 18, 2014
99
1
0
obiwan kenobi said:
I read on this site a user review about the Q acoustics 3050. At his home came a older ex Tannoy employee who has the Tannoy XT8F. In this review, see at user reviews Q acoustics, the owner of the 3050 says the ex Tannoy employee found the much cheaper 3050 better this own Tannoy xt8f!

Is it so that more expensive speakers let hear you how bad a record is and the cheaper not? And that's why the cheaper one more fun to listen to it?
why dont you just stay logged in as peterpan?

we all know its you - some advise - dont buy any modern speaker - look for vintage
 

Al ears

Moderator
Andrewjvt said:
obiwan kenobi said:
I read on this site a user review about the Q acoustics 3050. At his home came a older ex Tannoy employee who has the Tannoy XT8F. In this review, see at user reviews Q acoustics, the owner of the 3050 says the ex Tannoy employee found the much cheaper 3050 better this own Tannoy xt8f!

Is it so that more expensive speakers let hear you how bad a record is and the cheaper not? And that's why the cheaper one more fun to listen to it?
why dont you just stay logged in as peterpan?

we all know its you - some advise - dont buy any modern speaker - look for vintage
I think Mr. Kenobi is attempting to raise a valid question regarding a speakers classification as "revealing" or "musical" and which some people prefer....... and it has nothing to do with cost..... fortunately ;-)
 

lindsayt

New member
Apr 8, 2011
16
2
0
Andrewjvt said:
...some advise - dont buy any modern speaker - look for vintage
Totally agree.

The right type of cherry picked vintage speaker will cost about the same as brand new Q Acoustics 3050. They will sound more revealing / transparent / better focused than the 3050's. They will make good recordings sound better and more fun than the 3050's. They will also make poor recordings sound better and more fun than the 3050's. They will look like vintage speakers.

So it's a draw, win, win, win, lose situation.
 
obiwan kenobi said:
I read on this site a user review about the Q acoustics 3050. At his home came a older ex Tannoy employee who has the Tannoy XT8F. In this review, see at user reviews Q acoustics, the owner of the 3050 says the ex Tannoy employee found the much cheaper 3050 better this own Tannoy xt8f!

Is it so that more expensive speakers let hear you how bad a record is and the cheaper not? And that's why the cheaper one more fun to listen to it?
This is all down to the system and amplifier being used. I'm guessing the amplifier was better suited to the QAs, which means they'd have sounded better overall. If an amplifier isn't in control of what a speaker is doing, it won't be sounding its best.

Budget speakers are designed to be an easy load, which is done by using the crossover. It's a balancing act between sound quality and compatibility. The awkward impedance curves etc of better quality speakers tend to be left alone, as crossovers need to be as simple as possible to preserve sound quality - but it comes at a price - they're no longer the easy load that budget speakers are (and need to be, as they're generally used with budget amplifiers). So, these speakers need better amplifiers in order to sound as good as they should do.

Or it could be that the ex Tannoy guy prefers the sound of QA to Tannoy.
 

Al ears

Moderator
davidf said:
obiwan kenobi said:
I read on this site a user review about the Q acoustics 3050. At his home came a older ex Tannoy employee who has the Tannoy XT8F. In this review, see at user reviews Q acoustics, the owner of the 3050 says the ex Tannoy employee found the much cheaper 3050 better this own Tannoy xt8f!

Is it so that more expensive speakers let hear you how bad a record is and the cheaper not? And that's why the cheaper one more fun to listen to it?
This is all down to the system and amplifier being used. I'm guessing the amplifier was better suited to the QAs, which means they'd have sounded better overall. If an amplifier isn't in control of what a speaker is doing, it won't be sounding its best.

Budget speakers are designed to be an easy load, which is done by using the crossover. It's a balancing act between sound quality and compatibility. The awkward impedance curves etc of better quality speakers tend to be left alone, as crossovers need to be as simple as possible to preserve sound quality - but it comes at a price - they're no longer the easy load that budget speakers are (and need to be, as they're generally used with budget amplifiers). So, these speakers need better amplifiers in order to sound as good as they should do.

Or it could be that the ex Tannoy guy prefers the sound of QA to Tannoy.
True. Just because you work there doesn't mean you have to like the product...... ;-)
 

abacus

Well-known member
Sep 24, 2008
379
132
19,070
Ignore the age of the speakers, (Unless there faulty) and the price of the speakers, as it’s completely irrelevant, the only way to choose is to try different speakers and choose whichever sounds best to you.

Hope this helps

Bil
 

nopiano

Well-known member
Feb 15, 2009
174
53
18,670
abacus said:
Ignore the age of the speakers, (Unless there faulty) and the price of the speakers, as it’s completely irrelevant, the only way to choose is to try different speakers and choose whichever sounds best to you.

Hope this helps

Bil
Is that the same for speaker cables, Bill, or are they all the same?
 

macdiddy

Well-known member
Sep 3, 2010
87
3
18,545
abacus (or bill) comes up with on this forum is the same old steaming pile of s**t answer.

still using the frankly patronising "hope this helps" at the end of every comment even when it clearly doesn't.

*fool*
 

lindsayt

New member
Apr 8, 2011
16
2
0
davidf said:
This is all down to the system and amplifier being used...
Coming back to andrewjvt's suggestion. The right type of cherry picked vintage speakers will sound comprehensively better with a £50 used amplifier than Q Acoustics 3050 used with the best and most suirable for the 3050's amplifier ever made.

Making it a draw, win, win, win, loss, win situation.

It also seems to me that the Q Acoustics review is being far too seriously for the following reasons:

1. It's something written on the internet. So it must be true?

2. We don't know for sure who the reviewer was. He may be a marketing man for Q Acoustics, or a Q Acoustics fan boy with a misguided sense of loyalty making things up, for all we know.

3. The Ex Tannoy engineer may have been humouring him / being over polite / not wanting to get into confrontation.

4. The Q Acoustics owner may have been playing something really well recorded that the Tannoy employee had never heard before.

5. The Tannoy person was comparing 2 different systems at 2 different volumes in 2 different rooms at 2 different times.

6, The Q Acoustics owner may have been playing at a volume much louder than what the Tannoy owner normally plays at.

7. There may be something upstream in the Tannoy system that's holding it back. Possibly something that over time has developed into a fault - eg a worn tip on his cartridge.

8. The Tannoys may be in a room with tragically bad acoustics or very badly positioned due to domestic constraints.

9. The Q Acoustic 3050 speakers may well be better sounding overall than Tannoy 8xtf's. That doesn't mean to say that the 3050's are better than the main speakers that anyone here on this forum owns. It just means that 8xtfs may not be all that.
 

nopiano

Well-known member
Feb 15, 2009
174
53
18,670
macdiddy said:
abacus (or bill) comes up with on this forum is the same old steaming pile of s**t answer.

still using the frankly patronising "hope this helps" at the end of every comment even when it clearly doesn't.

*fool*
Agree, and I couldn't resist a poke!
 

Al ears

Moderator
lindsayt said:
davidf said:
This is all down to the system and amplifier being used...
Coming back to andrewjvt's suggestion. The right type of cherry picked vintage speakers will sound comprehensively better with a £50 used amplifier than Q Acoustics 3050 used with the best and most suirable for the 3050's amplifier ever made.

Making it a draw, win, win, win, loss, win situation.

It also seems to me that the Q Acoustics review is being far too seriously for the following reasons:

1. It's something written on the internet. So it must be true?

2. We don't know for sure who the reviewer was. He may be a marketing man for Q Acoustics, or a Q Acoustics fan boy with a misguided sense of loyalty making things up, for all we know.

3. The Ex Tannoy engineer may have been humouring him / being over polite / not wanting to get into confrontation.

4. The Q Acoustics owner may have been playing something really well recorded that the Tannoy employee had never heard before.

5. The Tannoy person was comparing 2 different systems at 2 different volumes in 2 different rooms at 2 different times.

6, The Q Acoustics owner may have been playing at a volume much louder than what the Tannoy owner normally plays at.

7. There may be something upstream in the Tannoy system that's holding it back. Possibly something that over time has developed into a fault - eg a worn tip on his cartridge.

8. The Tannoys may be in a room with tragically bad acoustics or very badly positioned due to domestic constraints.

9. The Q Acoustic 3050 speakers may well be better sounding overall than Tannoy 8xtf's. That doesn't mean to say that the 3050's are better than the main speakers that anyone here on this forum owns. It just means that 8xtfs may not be all that.
10. The Tannoys really are cr*p..... :)

Apologies. Just seen your last sentence.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts