Changing speaker drivers ?

Pete68

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I looked into this a while back and I think it would. You would also need to upgrade the crossover. Wilmslow Audio would be the right people to speak to about this sort of thing, they sell a good range of drivers and are very helpful on the phone.

Best!

12D

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Nelly said:
hi guys me again getting more info :)

would changing cheap speaker drivers for better ones improve sound ?

Possibly.

It's like upgrading the engine of a car without paying attention to tyres, suspension and brakes etc.

Nelly

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
just some cheap microlab solo6c active speakers.but if it means changing crossovers ports ect i may aswell buy the units seperate and build my own spekers would this be a good idea and would i get the same quality as expensive speakers for a fraction of the price.i am quite handy with a sheet of MDF and a soldering iron :)

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
It isn't as easy as that. If you change drivers you need to make sure that the new ones have the same qt, impedence and Vas as the old ones. If you don't, you're looking at possibly crossover change and cabinet change. You'll also need to look at the graphs to see whether the crossover frequency suits the replacement ones for both tweeters and woofers.

tomlinscote

Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I made my own getting on for 20 yrs ago now and I still have them though they have gone through a new set of woofers and tweeters but they did get a really hard life as I used them at home for 3 years then they were my demo pair when teaching physics now they serve as kitchen speakers. I made them from a pretty solid wardrobe someone was throwing out, they stand about 3 foot high 18 in wide and 12 in deep with 8 in woofers and front ported. Lots of nice bass and sweet treble. If you have any DIY bent/skills it is not difficult and there are many online box plans to copy, though I made it up as I went along. I also designed and made my own amp, it didn't last quite as long but still sounded pretty good, not so sure I'd be quite as adventurous now but then again I can afford to let others make stuff for me (once every 5 yrs or so!!)

Tommo

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
With all the variables involved in changing drivers, you would be much better off buying and building an off the shelf kit whose components have been designed to work together.

Crossie

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
For DIY kits talk to:

http://www.iplacoustics.co.uk/

http://www.wilmslow-audio.co.uk/

I have had great success with Wilmslow audio. DIY is very good value for money. :cheer:

TRENDING THREADS