Changing my Speakers - help!

tenerifediver

Sep 29, 2008
Visit site
I currently have Acoustic Energy Aegis Three's, which have been sturdy performers for...err..nearly 10 years now? At the time, I thought they sounded fine, but maybe a little "veiled" in the midrange, which surprised me a bit. The bass is also a little loose (to me, anyway) and though generally they improve with rising volume levels, I think something is missing in the music I listen to. That, by the way, includes Rock (Maiden/Rush/Floyd etc), Blues and Classical. I also play DVD's through my CA DVD89, so sound tracks are important to me.

My system is the aforementioned C.A DVD 89, a recently acquired C.A Azur 740C, DNM Reson interconnects and Chord Rumour cabling. (The DNM actually IMPROVED matters, when replacing a pair of old CableTalk IC's). FORGOT TO MENTION, AMP IS MYRYAD Z140. Ooops.....

I am considering the Monitor RS6's.....but, as ever, I would value the opinion of you guys and girls beforehand! Especially if you have experienced the Aegis Three's as well.

Looking forward to bundles of suggestions!

A

Anonymous

How much do you want to spend? The CA seems to have reasonable power to play with so why not try some Dynaudios? The Focus 110 are surprisingly potent for their size and might suit you music tastes. Def worth looking at some other Dyns.

A

Anonymous

I have yet to hear a Monitor Audio speaker that didnt scream!

(Apart from The Radius series I use in my AV set up)

I was pleasantly surprised at how good Quad 22L2's sounded, having gone from their original 22's to FB1+'s

vinod_david

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
My MA RS6 doesn't scream or whatever term others might use. Having said that, RS6 produces enough bass (not booooom), and lovely midrange detail for an enjoyable listen. Given the RS6 enough room to breathe, well furnished, and good warm setup, lets talk about screaming. Do have an audition of RS6 with the right amp and cdp, and you'll be surprised.

A word of caution - if these fellows are cornered, close to walls, etc., they might booooom you down:)

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
If you must have floorstanders, scour fleabay for Mission 752 Freedom... I know they're old but they sound and look amazing, and should suit your kit well. Often seen for about 200 quid or so- not bad as these were sodding expensive when new... Just an idea...

Failing that, the RS6 is awesome too!

If you can go with standmounts, B&W DM601s3 or new 685s. I just bought 601s3s as a replacement for TDL RTL3SE and I'm stunned by them!

Jon

A

Anonymous

For the money, RS6s are hard to beat (among floorstanders). Except if you go second-hand. I have seen some great floorstanders come up on another forum (cant mention it tho..).

I had RS6s till not that long ago - if partnered with warm or even neutral amps they are great.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts