Change Speakers or Amp?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.

Yes it looks like the Wharfedales will have to go. I did have a look at the q Acoustics 2050's but they seem quiet hard to get hold of.

T

the record spot

plastic penguin said:
Easy now - I've not heard of this Onkyo until you mentioned it. On the surface it looks good value - I personally love receivers, always have done. Don't doubt for one moment of its flexibilty and SQ for the price. However, if someone said to me the best sound quality: Roksan Kandy LIII or a budget receiver? I know which colour flag I wave.

Given Gareth's previous threads and the help I've given regards the Arcam and the Roksan, I'd choose the Roksan for pure SQ. But as you well know (I don't really need to say this) the ideal system match takes time and thought, regardless of budget.

Gareth really likes the Arcam: I've owned the A65+ for 7 years and it doesn't have the power of most amps but it leaves an indelible mark... I understand the frustration Gareth is going thru.

Change those damn Wharfedales and see where it it takes him: They are the weakest link.

All fair enough PP, but the point about "best sound quality" is a blurred line these days I think. I'm just listening to Led Zep IV from the laptop, via DNLA functionality wirelessly through the Onkyo. Sound quality is not an issue here, beyond the limitations of the original recording and production. And as the technology moves on, the old concepts that bore two channel integrateds as the best way to listen to music are readily challenged.

the record spot said:
plastic penguin said:
Easy now - I've not heard of this Onkyo until you mentioned it. On the surface it looks good value - I personally love receivers, always have done. Don't doubt for one moment of its flexibilty and SQ for the price. However, if someone said to me the best sound quality: Roksan Kandy LIII or a budget receiver? I know which colour flag I wave.

Given Gareth's previous threads and the help I've given regards the Arcam and the Roksan, I'd choose the Roksan for pure SQ. But as you well know (I don't really need to say this) the ideal system match takes time and thought, regardless of budget.

Gareth really likes the Arcam: I've owned the A65+ for 7 years and it doesn't have the power of most amps but it leaves an indelible mark... I understand the frustration Gareth is going thru.

Change those damn Wharfedales and see where it it takes him: They are the weakest link.

All fair enough PP, but the point about "best sound quality" is a blurred line these days I think. I'm just listening to Led Zep IV from the laptop, via DNLA functionality wirelessly through the Onkyo. Sound quality is not an issue here, beyond the limitations of the original recording and production. And as the technology moves on, the old concepts that bore two channel integrateds as the best way to listen to music are readily challenged.

That's always been the case - in the early eighties mini (or midi or micro, or table top as they became) were seen as the 'smokin' gun' of hi-fi (I know - before anyone pulls me up they were invented from day one). Even prior to that when music centres first came to the fore in the early 70s, everyone, including me, went "Wow!": It had an amp, turntable, cassette deck, tuner. Where are we now? Look at the Naim Uniti or Marantz 603 or countless others: Has an amp, CDP (some do), streaming device, tuner of some description. These kits are modern day music centres.

From that point of view I don't think 'best sound quality' has been blurred. Sure, SQ all-round has improved, but the boundaries hasn't narrowed or blurred, only in the sense that equipment, generally, has become more accessable.

Can you imagine I'd trade my Leema and RS6 for an Arcam Mini Solo and small standmounters? certainly not in the foreseeable.

Anyway, back on topic: Gareth has already changed amps twice in the last 4 months or so. Those speakers were good in their day but won't compare with modern equivalents. If he gets it right with the Roksan, he'll have a darn good set-up.

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
I have just seen a pair of Mission 753 Freedoms going for £300 and a pair of B&W DM601'S for £100.

would either of these be any good with the Roksan?

thanks

T

the record spot

The 753s would need to be in showroom condition for £300, though I personally feel the 752 is the better speaker. If it's the Freedom model, then that'd likely tame the supposedly brighter Kandy, though for that money, you should probably try and hear them together. No idea about the B&W's but they were well rated in their day.

T

the record spot

plastic penguin said:
That's always been the case - in the early eighties mini (or midi or micro, or table top as they became) were seen as the 'smokin' gun' of hi-fi (I know - before anyone pulls me up they were invented from day one). Even prior to that when music centres first came to the fore in the early 70s, everyone, including me, went "Wow!": It had an amp, turntable, cassette deck, tuner. Where are we now? Look at the Naim Uniti or Marantz 603 or countless others: Has an amp, CDP (some do), streaming device, tuner of some description. These kits are modern day music centres.

With the caveat being that the quality today far surpasses by a country mile the music centres of yesteryear. Barring a very few, most music centres had average amps, average tape decks, average tuners and average record players - if you were lucky. They might have done one or two things well, but rarely (as in hen's teeth rare) did they do everything well across the board. So with that in mind and considering where I'm at with the new set-up...

plastic penguin said:
Can you imagine I'd trade my Leema and RS6 for an Arcam Mini Solo and small standmounters? certainly not in the foreseeable.

I've no idea PP, but on today's evidence and current listening, I certainly would...maybe not the Arcam, but the Onkyo/Tannoy partnership - in a heartbeat!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts