Change of system

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
My system consists of whats written below.

To be honest i love the system but cannot justify having it in the living room as well as my new Sony DAVIS10 surround system and new Sony Bravia 32" TV; basically as it's not getting used as much as it used to.

I love the system but now feel that its time to minimise and recoup some money (if possible) so im looking to go back to standmount speakers, an integrated amp and a CD player.

I really want to base my system around the B&W 685 speakers (or if i find a decent set on eBay - The B&W 602 S2 speakers) with a Musical Fidelity integrated amp (Ive always loved these amps and have demo'd them a few times years back (the X series) and now want to go down that route by buying a decent one off eBay).

What i would like is some suggestions for a CDP to match these 2 (I will be going for Chord Carnival Silver cable and Chord interconnects).

The music i listen to varies but consists of electronica (Layo & Bushwacka, Underworld, Daft Punk, Air, Moby, Leftfield, Fischerspooner etc...) to House music (Hed Kandi, Eric Morillo, Danny Tenaglia etc...) to Pink Floyd, Bonzo Dog, Jethro Tull and so on.

Bass has to be good, deep (well as much as possible without going daft)and tight, midrange has to be smooth with good vocals and the treble good and crisp but not ear piercing!

All suggestions will grately be received as i'd like to move on this before Chrsitmas (as obviously i need to sell my system via eBay etc and get buying mew new system as well)

Thanks

matthewpiano

How much do you want to spend on a CD player? At £300-ish I don't think you can beat the CD73 which still seems to be widely available as end-of-line product. At £500-600, and the CD player I'm more than likely going to end up with (because I've had one before and seriously regretted selling it), I'd highly recommend the Rega Apollo. Very musical, lively etc.

I'm going to audition the Marantz CD6002 (and possibly Pioneer PD-D6) tomorrow so I'll let you know how that goes if you're looking for something below the £300 mark.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Hi MP

Cheers for the comments. I am seriously considering the Rega Apollo but i may also take a nosey at the Rega Planet. Ive heard one before and it sounded superb but it was with a Rega amp and Dynaudio speakers so not sure what the synergy would be like with MF and B&W.

Let me know how you get on with the Pioneer; the Marantz im not a fan of as ive already heard it and through B&W speakers and it wasnt to my liking at all. Too clinical!

matthewpiano

d_a_n1979:Hi MP

Cheers for the comments. I am seriously considering the Rega Apollo but i may also take a nosey at the Rega Planet. Ive heard one before and it sounded superb but it was with a Rega amp and Dynaudio speakers so not sure what the synergy would be like with MF and B&W.

Let me know how you get on with the Pioneer; the Marantz im not a fan of as ive already heard it and through B&W speakers and it wasnt to my liking at all. Too clinical!

Sounds like I may not like the Marantz then. Tomorrow will be interesting!! Will let you know about the Pioneer.

A

Anonymous

See if you can still get a Musical Fidelity XRay v8 (incl Triple X PSU) for £500. I bought one this year to replace my Roksan Kandy MK3. It may be a few quid more than you might want to spend but it's very good. The bass is deep but tight and the overall sound is neutral, clean and very detailed. I've heard quite a few CDPs and not many impress me. If it's not the bass that's wrong it's the treble. Anyway, the MF X-series players seem to be bang on the mark for the money.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Yeah i had an idea to look at the X-Ray CDP as well but lately they have been going for silly money (always good for the seller but not for the buyer)

Im going to keep my eyes out for the Arcam and Rega CDPs as well as the MF stuff but i do feel that the Arcam or Rega will give me the sound im after :)

Just had a nosey on eBay now for people selling Arcam separates and they seem to be doing well which is a good sign!

A

Anonymous

Hi Dan

Interesting that you should mention the Rega Planet. I bought one of those a few months ago and love it! It is very natural and musical and doesn't seem to "add" much to the music. I'm not sure what the Marantz CD6002 is like, but my CD5400 coloured the sound quite significantly (as I found out once I got the Rega). So the Planet is definitely worth a look, and it goes for decent prices on Ebay (£150-200) for the 2000 model - loading tray in the middle like the Apollo!

Good luck whatever you decide!

Hedgehog

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts