Centre Speaker Choice

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, for my Surround speakers I'm now using Proac Studio 140's at the fronts and Proac Response Hexa's at the rear. I now need a front centre speaker, but the matching Proac Studio Centre at £650 is a bit over budget. (Amp is Yamaha 863SE, Blu Ray is Sony S350)

Any idea's on a centre speaker with a similar tonal balance to the Proac's ? Thinking Kef, Monitor Audio, B&W around £300 or so.

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
You could by an Arcam AVR600 for £3500 and get the Proac Studio centre free, that's what I did. I guess that doesn't really help much!

A

Anonymous

If I had a spare £3500 then i'd get an AVR600 Pete, but being as my budget is about 10% of that, I need to explore other idea's ! Thanks anyway :)

A

Anonymous

Please do not skimp on your centre channel loudspeaker. The centre channel loudspeaker does the lion's share of work, while watching movies. It pretty much handles all the dialogue plus effects that are placed straight-on.

The Studio Centre is the ideal match for the Studio 140's. I would suggest that if you are unable to afford the Studio Centre for now, to save up until you can. Otherwise, you will end up regretting purchasing a lesser centre channel loudspeaker for your set-up.

By the way, I cannot help but notice that you have a Yamaha '863 A/V Receiver to power your ProAc loudspeakers. It is a fine A/V Receiver for the money, but your ProAc loudspeakers will perform much better powered by a higher-level of A/V Receiver - e.g. Arcam AVR600, Yamaha DSP-Z7, Sony '5400ES, etc. Or, better still, A/V separates, such as the Marantz AV8003/MM8003 pre-power combination. Sorry to go off-topic.

Dan.

A

Anonymous

Dan, I have been looking for a 2nd hand Proac centre speaker, but they seem to be much rarer than stereo pairs. I may do as you suggest and hang on until I can afford a new one, but that could be a long wait :-(

Regarding my Amp, I actually use the front pre outs into my Cyrus Dac XP/X Power, so the 863 is only being used for the centre and rears. My lounge is fairly small as well, so I don't need a lot of power.

speed1268

Sep 10, 2007
Visit site
Hi,I had a similar problem,I have had various centres including a B&W cdm se(which looked a right @!%* on the top of my crt!)kef eggs,a dali.But i wanted something that sounded great,where voices didn't sound nasal,bright and tinny.Like the above mentioned the centre is very important indeed.I now run ATC 12's at the front and the matching speaker was both expensive and very chunky.I had heard a mates Kef 200 and was impressed and then i saw a Kef XQ two 2 on ebay.I managed to get for £265 i think,but the thing is fantastic and matches the ATC's well.I suppose in an ideal world i would have the ATC centre but!!If you can wait for the matching centre i am sure that would be better but i did very well with the Kef.Regards speed1268

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
Badger Racing:

Dan, I have been looking for a 2nd hand Proac centre speaker, but they seem to be much rarer than stereo pairs. I may do as you suggest and hang on until I can afford a new one, but that could be a long wait :-(

Regarding my Amp, I actually use the front pre outs into my Cyrus Dac XP/X Power, so the 863 is only being used for the centre and rears. My lounge is fairly small as well, so I don't need a lot of power.

I know what you mean, I was hoping to get a secondhand Proac, but they're few and far between. But I must say having got one now, the difference between it and my old Monitor Audio BR centre is massive, voices are great through it very natural and with a lot of depth. Plus, as you'd expect, they match the Studio 140's perfectly.

I think you'd be better running a 4.1 system for now and saving your pennies. I think your 140's will do a better job of the centre duties rather than get a mis-match.

RodhasGibson

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
pete321:Badger Racing:

I know what you mean, I was hoping to get a secondhand Proac, but they're few and far between. But I must say having got one now, the difference between it and my old Monitor Audio BR centre is massive, voices are great through it very natural and with a lot of depth. Plus, as you'd expect, they match the Studio 140's perfectly.

I think you'd be better running a 4.1 system for now and saving your pennies. I think your 140's will do a better job of the centre duties rather than get a mis-match.
In this case got to agree, the wait will be worth it.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the replies. Seems like the best option is to keep checking for a 2nd hand Proac Studio Centre, until i can afford a new one.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts