Ceiling speakers / Sonos

robder

Feb 3, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

I'm considering investing in a Sonos system and would like to have a speaker in the bathroom.

Will it link up with a ceiling speaker or would I have to use a Sonos branded one?

If so, is there a recommended brand of ceiling speaker to suit a fairly average budget?

Cheers, R.

You can use Sonos Connect:Amp with any ceiling speakers. What's your budget? I can highly recommend Monitor Audio Trimless 200 series of ceiling speakers which I've got. Not sure if you need ceiling speakers specific for bathroom use (waterproof).

Q5

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
bigboss said:
You can use Sonos Connect:Amp with any ceiling speakers. What's your budget? I can highly recommend Monitor Audio Trimless 200 series of ceiling speakers which I've got. Not sure if you need ceiling speakers specific for bathroom use (waterproof).

Agree with you BB, any speaker can be used, there is however a certain type for bathrooms see link below for ones ratified to be compliant.

http://www.ceiling-speakers.co.uk/Bathroom-speakers.asp

This link to to a company on ebay with various in ceiling speeakers

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Monitor-Audio-CWT160R-Ceiling-Speakers-2-x-Pair-Sonos-Multiroom-Bathroom-Office-/152007598991?hash=item23645be38f:g:Na8AAOSwrklVeIIB

Q5

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
BB, did you fit speaker hoods to you in ceiling speakers or did you not need to with the speakers being in the side additions to your ceiling.

No, I didn't need speaker hood at all. The ceiling speakers were going into a box ceiling with void above already. The room is disconnected from other rooms in the house, with either the hallway or the outside wall on the other side. So the wall speakers also didn't need a hood.

Monitor Audio also does Controlled Performance series (CP) with built-in back box if you need.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Also worth pointing out that the SONOS PLAY:1 is 'steamproof', so fine for use in kitchens and bathrooms. I've got a PLAY:1 tucked away on top of my bathroom cabinet (with power coming from bedroom next door via neatly routed cabling); TruePlay set-up means it sounds great.

gowiththeflow

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
Clare Newsome said:
Also worth pointing out that the SONOS PLAY:1 is 'steamproof', so fine for use in kitchens and bathrooms. I've got a PLAY:1 tucked away on top of my bathroom cabinet (with power coming from bedroom next door via neatly routed cabling); TruePlay set-up means it sounds great.

Clare, sorry but I think you should withdraw that advice ASAP.

It is not a good idea to use any mains powered device in a bathroom, no matter how "neatly routed" the cabling is. Powering from 13 amp outlets is not legal in UK bathrooms and it's not recommended to run such power into a bathroom from an external 13 amp socket.

z

Also, check this.

230 V socket outlets
The 17th Edition introduced another important change: Regulation 701.512.3 permits 230 V socket outlets to be installed in a room containing a bath or shower, providing they are installed 3m horizontally from the boundary of zone 1.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Safety considerations are, of course, vital; people should always get expert advice on anything to do with water and power. Any decent (eg CEDIA) installer should have this expertise.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts