CDP to AV amp (WHF team please)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,I have a dvd player Marantz DV7001 connected to AV amp Arcam AVR250 and B&W CM7's front speakers. I listen to music as much as I watch movies so I'm trying to find compromise. Although the Marantz sounds really good with music, I wonder if I get better CD sound with dedicated cd player ( I'm thinking of buying Arcam CD73). Considering my all system shall I get better sound? Please can you give me some advice

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes, you will get better sound, but it won't be night and day better - the Marantz is a very good CD player, at least by DVD machine standards, so I'd listen long and hard before you spend extra on dedicated CD hardware.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Agree with Andrew. The Marantz is better than most DVD players for music, and Arcam's multichannel amps/receivers tend to be more musical than most (I run an AVR280 at home), so you've got a pretty good set-up already.

A

Anonymous

Sorry to hijack, but in general, would adding an external DAC to a DVD player noticeably improve the sound? (I'm talking cheap DVD players here.....)

Are there features in the transport which generally make DVDs less musical, even with an external DAC?

Thanks,

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Not with a cheap DVD player, no - the transport mech is too compromised by having to play both DVDs and CDs. And anyway, adding a DAC to the digital output makes it a bit tricky to connect the player to an AV receiver for Dolby Digital/DTS output in most systems

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Andrew Everard"]

Not with a cheap DVD player, no - the transport mech is too compromised by having to play both DVDs and CDs. And anyway, adding a DAC to the digital output makes it a bit tricky to connect the player to an AV receiver for Dolby Digital/DTS output in most systems

[/quote]

So in my setup then, which is cheap Sony DVD player to amplifier for playing CDs, would something basic like the Beresford DAC not necessarily improve things as much as the rave reviews suggest?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I would think not - the limitations of the multipurpose mech in the Sony will always be there. You'd do much better to put the £100 or whatever the DAC costs toward a good player such as the Marantz CD5001, or one of the other budget machines tested in the current issue of the magazine.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts