CDP and Amp combos

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm back in the hifi market again after a few years being sidetracked with school fees etc and need some advice to narrow down my search.

I currently have a Nakamichi AV RE 10 Receiver and Sonus Faber Concertinos (on stand). I have been using a stock DVD player to handle audio cd's (I know it's a mortal sin) but have decided to take the plunge and upgrade - that's the background now to my questions.

Q1. Whilst looking at CDP's I have also started thinking about the amp as I no longer use this system for DVD's - I noted in one of the forums that WHF was to do a test on combos in the January issue but I cant find this mag anywhere - is there an online access to older issues?

Q2. I have been looking at CDP's like Arcam CD73, Cambridge 640CV2 and Marantz CD6002 and must say I have started to get quite confused by all the contradictory views around. I'm based in Melbourne and can get the Arcam for A$799, the Cambridge for $600 and the Marantz for $640. I know I should listen to these but it's almost impossible to get these side by side. Any advice on which is better?

Q3. And I guess the combo test article might answer this question, but is it advisable to buy a same brand combo eg Arcam CD73 with 65Plus, Marantz 6002 with the PM7001 (I was told that was streets better than the PM6002), or Cambridge 640CV with 640A?

Q4. Why is it that Sonus Faber speakers (apart from the Cremorne's) and Nakamichi kit dont seem to get mentioned in the WHF review lists?

Thanks in advance

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
With regards to Q3. You can see from my sig that I have matching Arcam components. The upside is that cosmetically they're a match, I can use 1 remote for both items, and that they will have similar overall sound characteristics being from the same manufacturer. However, there's no law that says mixing and matching is wrong, it may often lead to a better sound than using a single manufacturers separates. I reckon mix 'n' matching will require more of your time and thought, with regards to demoing bits of kit.

Q2. With the absence of being able to hear stuff side-by-side means you're gonna have to take advice and ultimately a bit of a gamble. Arcam have a reputation for having a slightly 'warmer' sound, meaning of course that they tend to overplay the bottom end of the frequency scale somewhat, Cyrus, for example, has a reputation for doing the opposite. You need to decide which overall sound characteristics you're happiest with, also your room and decor will have a say in this (Think of sound like light in this instance, hard, shiny surfaces will reflect sound and give a more forward (trebly) sound. A room with thick carpets, heavy curtains, massive fluffy 3 piece suite will tend to rob the sound of higher frequencies.

Generally, steer clear of people who say that their stuff is great (most everyone think their stuff is great, else they wouldn't have bought it, or to admit that it isn't great, means admitting they made an expensive mistake!). Not that they're wrong, but it doesn't help you unless they give accurate reasons or descriptions of the sound, something which you can take away and digest. Conversely, don't waste time with non-owners of kit who say that Arcam/Marantz/C.A is rubbish. They don't own it, they don't live with it. it's just pointless.

In conclusion. I can say that I have been very happy with my Arcam pairing for the last 6 years. I like a measure of 'weight' to my music, but they don't rob the music of energy. I'm sure I could find more 'attacking' components out there if I wanted, but I feel that the Arcam pairing gives me pretty much the sound I need. The detail is there, They're solidly built, cosmetically they're quite classy (in silver), and the good thing is they can be upgraded, the CD72/CD73 can be turned into a CD192 in the future, and I could add a power amp if i wanted. My father-in-law has a C.A system (540 amp, 640 CD) I went with him when his Sony midi system died and made him buy decent stuff!! I enjoy the sound of his C.A stuff, but feel it's generally lacking when compared to my Arcam kit, but then, he paid less than I did, and I couldn't make him get better speakers for his C.As than a pair of Mission M71i, which may have made all the difference...

But we're getting onto speakers here, and that's a whole 'nother ball game.........

:)

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your feedback Chris - that helps. I always figured "warm" was like Bose - all mid range and nice and mushy.....

I wonder if the WHF are likely to respond to my question regarding the combo tests and Sonus/Nakamichi (and yes I realise they are spelt Cremona). I must say the current website is pretty crappy, links that lead nowhere etc - hopefully the new one is a step up.

A

Anonymous

I would have thought that the editors or whoever watches these forums would have responded to my questions by now. Is there some trick to getting noticed?

loki61

Mar 6, 2008
Visit site
glockers:
I would have thought that the editors or whoever watches these forums would have responded to my questions by now. Is there some trick to getting noticed?

you need to mention something about mp3s in the subject line, that gets them going.

:)

A

Anonymous

glockers:

I think they have their hands full with other matters. Anyway, I don't think there's much to add to Big Chris's advice... except that personally I would go with the Marantz kit.

As regards the PM7001 vs PM6002, there seems to be general (but not universal) agreement that the former is a better listen, although a demo from a Marantz stockist should sort that out fairly easily

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
glockers:
I'm back in the hifi market again after a few years being sidetracked with school fees etc and need some advice to narrow down my search.

I currently have a Nakamichi AV RE 10 Receiver and Sonus Faber Concertinos (on stand). I have been using a stock DVD player to handle audio cd's (I know it's a mortal sin) but have decided to take the plunge and upgrade - that's the background now to my questions.

Q1. Whilst looking at CDP's I have also started thinking about the amp as I no longer use this system for DVD's - I noted in one of the forums that WHF was to do a test on combos in the January issue but I cant find this mag anywhere - is there an online access to older issues?

Q2. I have been looking at CDP's like Arcam CD73, Cambridge 640CV2 and Marantz CD6002 and must say I have started to get quite confused by all the contradictory views around. I'm based in Melbourne and can get the Arcam for A$799, the Cambridge for $600 and the Marantz for $640. I know I should listen to these but it's almost impossible to get these side by side. Any advice on which is better?

Q3. And I guess the combo test article might answer this question, but is it advisable to buy a same brand combo eg Arcam CD73 with 65Plus, Marantz 6002 with the PM7001 (I was told that was streets better than the PM6002), or Cambridge 640CV with 640A?

Q4. Why is it that Sonus Faber speakers (apart from the Cremorne's) and Nakamichi kit dont seem to get mentioned in the WHF review lists?

Thanks in advance

If Denon is easily available where you are, give the DCD700AE and PMA700 combo a listen. I have the cdp and it's very good for the money.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts