CD vs Streaming

David Parkes

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
I will try again with my thread (NOT my fault!!)

System; Marantz CD6003, PM6004, MS-1XR

If I buy a Denon 720 Streamer will it sound as good as my CDs? (FLAC files from NAS).

Fed up of trying to find the CD I want to listen to!!

David Parkes

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
Basically I am looking for convenience, but dont want to sacrifice sound quality. I like the idea of being able to "shuffle" etc AND find the track I am looking for instantly. Just intend to used ripped CDs in FLAC, nothing higher res.

If its not as good, is that fundamental or because of the Denon? Would a £400 machine bridge the gap?

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Won't you miss the occasion of dragging your arse out of your chair, going to your CDs, staring at them blankly deciding what you want to listen to, picking one, sticking it in the player and sitting down and looking at the artwork/photos/thank you list*, while listening to your favourite tunes?

*Optional. Mood dependant.

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
David Parkes said:
Basically I am looking for convenience, but dont want to sacrifice sound quality. I like the idea of being able to "shuffle" etc AND find the track I am looking for instantly. Just intend to used ripped CDs in FLAC, nothing higher res.

If its not as good, is that fundamental or because of the Denon? Would a £400 machine bridge the gap?

As far as i am concerned, for me its streaming all the way. I am actually quite sure you can get better sound for the money when comparing a streamer with a cd player.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
acalex said:
As far as i am concerned, for me its streaming all the way. I am actually quite sure you can get better sound for the money when comparing a streamer with a cd player.

This would be my view as well.....most people who have made the switch, wouldn't go back (for a whole multitude of reasons).

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
acalex said:

This would be my view as well.....most people who have made the switch, wouldn't go back (for a whole multitude of reasons).

The only reason why I would like to want a CD player is for the all process of getting up, chosing, flipping through the pages of the booklet etc...not for SQ reasons.

When I want the all experience I put a vinyl on :)

matthewpiano

Just make sure you consider the gapless playback capabilities of any streamer you buy, particularly if you listen to music where tracks often segue straight into the next one (lots of classical repertoire, quite a lot of prog rock albums etc.)

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Just make sure you consider the gapless playback capabilities of any streamer you buy, particularly if you listen to music where tracks often segue straight into the next one (lots of classical repertoire, quite a lot of prog rock albums etc.)

True.

I still don't think there is anything out there which can beat the Squeezebox touch for the price...

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
I may have been convinced by streaming if not for finding my fabulous EMC1UP!

grin.gif

Mac

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts