CD Transport just died, what can I use as a source for my old school DAC (Audiolab 8000DAX)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

My Audiolab 8000CDM transport died this morning, I am now weighing up the options.

All my music collection is on CDs - I don't ever download music or put it on my computer. I was wondering if now was maybe the time to make such a move.

So my question is can I use my old school Audiolab 8000DAX for the DA conversion? If so what would I need to get/do? I really have no clue here as I've been happy using my CD player until now. My PC is a joke, I can barely use the internet on it, so that is probably no use.

I was thinking of getting something that I can put all my CDs on and use my DAC for the conversion. Sound quality is of the utmost importance here - can I just get say an ipod or something else cheap and connect that and expect the same level of quality as my original CD transport?

For reference, the inputs on the DAC are:

Three coaxial with BNC connectors, three Toslink optical and one balanced AES/EBU.

Perhaps due to the age of my kit I could get something (a whole CD player say) for not much that sounds better than my original transport/DAC combo - which was a pretty decent bit of kit 15 years ago.

Thanks for any advice.

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm curious why you mention a computer based system since your computer might not be up to the task. It might be ok, it doesn't have to do too much. I guess you could get a cheap digital out from your PC in to your DAC and then rip your CDs to your hard drive.

How much would it cost you to replace your CD transport and are you happy using CDs the way you have? or did you mention the PC based system because you would like to change for convinience sake?

If you are really interested in the PC route you might like to take the opportunity to upgrade everything (new PC, new USB DAC) but how much money would you want to spend on it? How good is your current DAC and how much do you want to keep it?

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
+1 for the above advice.

Digital streaming or playback need not be complicated or expensive. There are many options for equipment and software, but stick with what you have for now and optimise that first.

Rip your music losslessly in iTunes, for example and play back via your DAC.

If your Pc has no optical output, then try this for a basic method of feeding your DAC an optical signal.....

http://www.maplin.co.uk/usb-external-sound-box-34128

Debates rage regarding the sound quality of compressed vs lossless files vs CD vs high resolution files, try for yourself with Apple lossless (ALAC) first and you can compress your archive later at your leisure. Lossless files will be larger of course, but storage is relatively inexpensive nowadays.

Have fun. It'll be a steep learning curve, but help is at hand. ;)

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the responses.

I'm of the mind that I don't want to change my DAC unless I have to as it was decent when I bought it many years ago (but can be bought for around £250 second hand on fleabay now). Perhaps due to age it's possible to get the same capabilities now for not much money.

The reason I was thinking of ripping my CDs was just I thought it may be a cheaper option than buying a new CD player/transport and I'm not flush for cash at the moment.

A friend of mine today suggested a squeezebox with a NAS storage and perhaps control it from my Ifad. I guess that leaves the same issue though of my PC not being up to ripping lots of CDs.

I'm really just curious if with a decent DAC, with this sort of setup you can get decent sound performance or not and maybe an option to look at while I save upfor a new CD player rather than making a rash credit card purchase now on one.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
I have removed all of my disc players and now use a Pc (Mac mini) as a transport for CDs and DVDs. I do not know the spec of your Pc, but it should play CDs perfectly well and be more than adequate as a transport. The most important part of any CD player is its DAC and you already have that, so just attach the Pc to DAC via optical and you are away, either playing CDs or ripped music.

Computers and digital streamers can be every bit as good as any high end digital equipment, the speakers though, are what sets apart any system and an amplifier capable of correctly driving those speakers. The source needs merely to be competent (IMHO).

It seems that you already have all of the ingredients of a decent digital system, so have a play with what you have and try to optimise it as best you can without making another purchase. You can then take a step back and plan for an upgrade if you think you need it later.

The Squeezebox and NAS solution works well and your Pc should have no issues with CD ripping.

quadpatch

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
I haven't heard any really high end CD transports but I am extremely impressed with the audio through my PC / DAC / amp.

My understanding is that a CD transport's purpose is to minimise jitter and that's the only thing it can do to a digital stream. The jitter figures that I have seen for USB DACs around the £300 mark are lower than the best CD transports and I have heard they can cost up to £10,000. Can anyone else think of anything that a CD transport does?

If you agree that that's all there is to it then I would suggest going down the computer route now rather than investing in more transports.

A

Anonymous

Hi, Am market for a non-functioning 8000CDM to use for spares and hope you have not throw in the bin.

Please can us is if you want to find a new home for your striken kit

Best

Gary W 077.38.188.699

A

Anonymous

briantd,

try with any dvd or BD player, even the ones from crap brands will work fine as cd transport. Since my MARANTZ CD 52 MKII broke the CD tray, I've replaced with a cheap, made in china DVD player, with outstanding performance, mainly due to de change to optical link (the CD52 has only coaxial). Of course, the better player, the better sound-in most cases-, means buy the best you can afford.

Thanks to that change, I rediscovered the music of my entire cd collection, as with any improvement in the chain, resulted in more detailed sound and clarity, among other things never heard, incredible, but real.

Hope this helps.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts