CD resolution

surreyfrog

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
I have a question about CD resolution.

High resolution audio files are recorded at a rate better than CD quality. CD quality is 16 bit/44.1 khz.

From what I understand, a CD can be ripped to something like FLAC which is better than CD quality.

My question is this - how can something of CD resolution be converted to something of a higher resolution if the detail isn't there in the first place?

Is CD resolution determined by how things are recorded on the physical compact disc, or is it a function of the replay equipment?

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
surreyfrog said:
From what I understand, a CD can be ripped to something like FLAC which is better than CD quality.

No, FLAC i just a lossless compression of whatever it stores – Free Lossless Audio Compression. Yes, you can use FLAC to compress higher resolution music files, but if you rip a CD to FLAC, it's still 44.1kHz/16-bit when you 'unzip' it on playback.

K

keeper of the quays

surreyfrog said:
I have a question about CD  resolution.

High resolution audio files are recorded at a rate better than CD quality. CD quality is 16 bit/44.1 khz.

My question is this - how can something of CD resolution be converted to something of a higher resolution if the detail isn't there in the first place?

Is CD resolution determined by how things are recorded on the physical compact disc, or is it a function of the replay equipment?
blimey...in my opinion cd is as good as anything else..except vinyl...a well recorded cd is fab! The point of hifi is to extract the last minute detail from any recording...your right though..the information on a cd cant be bettered by converting? And if people tell you this? They are listening on not very revealing sources..as you go up the hifi ladder you may find cds get better and better..but vinyl is still king..by miles...i listened to mahler 2 yesterday..the first bit where you hear the cellos..on the sacd they sounded good..on vinyl? You could almost count how many cellos? Theres still a gulf twixt vinyl and anything else..in my opinion..

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
surreyfrog said:
I have a question about CD  resolution.

You're misunderstanderating how flac works. CD is a fixed resolution, 16-bit, 44.1khz, end of story, no higher, no lower. You can rip a CD to flac at that resolution, however flac can support a number of resolutions, 16-44.1, 16-48, 24-48, 24-96, 24-192 are amongst the most common. There is however no point ripping a CD to any resolution higher than 16-44.1, all that will happen is the resulting file will be padded with zeros to bring it up to the chosen resolution. It will sound exactly the same and simply take up more space than a rip at the correct resolution.

The_Lhc said:
surreyfrog said:
I have a question about CD resolution.

You're misunderstanderating how flac works. CD is a fixed resolution, 16-bit, 44.1khz, end of story, no higher, no lower. You can rip a CD to flac at that resolution, however flac can support a number of resolutions, 16-44.1, 16-48, 24-48, 24-96, 24-192 are amongst the most common. There is however no point ripping a CD to any resolution higher than 16-44.1, all that will happen is the resulting file will be padded with zeros to bring it up to the chosen resolution. It will sound exactly the same and simply take up more space than a rip at the correct resolution.

+1

surreyfrog

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
Well, thanks for those replies, it's clarified things.

On the subject of CD replay, and going off on a side issue here, can anyone explain the difference in quality between CD players? My understanding is that in simple terms a CD player does two things. It gets the data off the disc, then converts the digital signal from the disc into analogue format using an internal digital to analogue converter. If CD player A is better than CD player B, is it down mainly to the quality of its DAC or are there other factors at play?

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
surreyfrog said:
If CD player A is better than CD player B, is it down mainly to the quality of its DAC or are there other factors at play?

There's also the quality of the digital filtering, the analogue output stage, how noisy the display may be, how well the analogue section is isolated from the digital section, and so on and so forth.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
surreyfrog said:
Well, thanks for those replies, it's resolved things.

Fixed it for you.

spiny norman said:
surreyfrog said:
If CD player A is better than CD player B, is it down mainly to the quality of its DAC or are there other factors at play?

There's also the quality of the digital filtering, the analogue output stage, how noisy the display may be, how well the analogue section is isolated from the digital section, and so on and so forth.

There are also those that argue there's a big impact by having a higher output voltage so that it plays louder and sounds better.

I don't fully subscribe to the all CD players/DACs sound the same school, as I think the factors spiny listed above have an impact, but I don't think the differences are particularly big.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
ID. said:
surreyfrog said:

Fixed it for you.

spiny norman said:
surreyfrog said:

There are also those that argue there's a big impact by having a higher output voltage so that it plays louder and sounds better.

I don't fully subscribe to the all CD players/DACs sound the same school, as I think the factors spiny listed above have an impact, but I don't think the differences are particularly big.

Interestingly some of the industries favourite dac brands, one particularly highly rated on this very forum, have much higher than normal (Red Book standard) output levels.

manicm

People are forgetting the lasers/transport too. In the early cdps anyway not all lasers were made equal. And Linn discontinued their Sondek CD12 because Philips stopped manufacturing a specific transport the player utilised.

K

keeper of the quays

davedotco said:
ID. said:
surreyfrog said:
Well, thanks for those replies, it's resolved things.

?

Fixed it for you.

spiny norman said:
surreyfrog said:

Interestingly some of the industries favourite dac brands, one particularly highly rated on this very forum, have much higher than normal (Red Book standard) output levels.
what does that mean? Through a dac is louder? Is it a trick? Im not so sure about external dacs as i was..i own a dac..dont use it anymore.

K

keeper of the quays

manicm said:
People are forgetting the lasers/transport too. In the early cdps anyway not all lasers were made equal. And Linn discontinued their Sondek CD12 because Philips stopped manufacturing a specific transport the player utilised.
not all cd players sound similar..my sony, roksan and arcam diva sound similar..my old mission cd player sounds nothing like them..sounds more like vinyl..im guessing a mixture of transport and internal dac..plus how the designer voiced the player...i heard my mission has a swing arm transport? Cost too much to produce..so they stopped using them..perhaps thats the reason the mission sounds different?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
keeper of the quays said:
davedotco said:
ID. said:
surreyfrog said:

Fixed it for you.

spiny norman said:
surreyfrog said:

what does that mean? Through a dac is louder? Is it a trick? Im not so sure about external dacs as i was..i own a dac..dont use it anymore.

The analogue output of any dac, be it stand alone or part of a cd player is supposed to be 2 volts for a cd recorded at maximum level. So all such devices playing the same disc should output the same analogue level (volume).

It is well known that a small increase in level/volume (0.5dB say) is percieved as an improvement in sound quality long before such an increase is percieved as a change of level/volume.

So if you audition two players or dacs and one has a slightly higher output, the one with the higher output will in almost all circumstances be percieved as better 'quality'.

It may be no coincidence that a brand of Dac, highly praised on here, outputs nearly 3 volts....*ok*

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
davedotco said:
It is well known that a small increase in level/volume (0.5dB say) is percieved as an improvement in sound quality long before such an increase is percieved as a change of level/volume.

So if you audition two players or dacs and one has a slightly higher output, the one with the higher output will in almost all circumstances be percieved as better 'quality'.

It may be no coincidence that a brand of Dac, highly praised on here, outputs nearly 3 volts....*ok*

I can see that Chord specify the Mojo's THD level @ 3V on their website...

"THD @ 3v - 0.00017%"

Is that the one?

surreyfrog

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
manicm said:

If the transport comes into play, I wonder if this means one would be better off copying the cd to a flash drive and playing from there, thus eliminating the transport/laser and any other moving component from the playback chain?

manicm

surreyfrog said:
manicm said:

If the transport comes into play, I wonder if this means one would be better off copying the cd to a flash drive and playing from there, thus eliminating the transport/laser and any other moving component from the playback chain?

That's the theory amongst many, the main reason being error correction is almost removed. However other factors also come into play, like the software player, pc setup etc. I think a pc is a great source for CD res, for hires it's too much of a faff, some may rightly disagree, but I'd personally get a dedicated streamer.

Laurens_B

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
manicm said:
surreyfrog said:
manicm said:

That's the theory amongst many, the main reason being error correction is almost removed. However other factors also come into play, like the software player, pc setup etc. I think a pc is a great source for CD res, for hires it's too much of a faff, some may rightly disagree, but I'd personally get a dedicated streamer.

I found the following on another forum, written by an engineer in the hi-fi industry, about cd reading errors, and other interesting information, little bit off-topic but very much worth sharing. Beware when reading, it was a reponse on another forum:

The data on a CD is stored with extra information, specifically added to allow correction of data errors. If the data being read from the surface of the disc does in fact contain errors (which is not at all unlikely), there are two stages of "perfect error correction" - where the extra correction data will be used to repair/replace the missing or damaged data PERFECTLY[/i]. This process happens inside the CD player, and is totally transparent to the listener or user of the data. Only if we have damage so serious (equating to a hole larger than 2.5mm in the surface of the disc) will the data coming from the drive and its electronics be less than absolutely perfect. On a computer, if a single error remains after this correction - a single incorrect bit - the disc will stop playing with an error. Most audio players include a third level of "error correction", which is intended only as a "last ditch" option after the first two stages have failed, and which will "fill in" the gap with interpolated (guessed) data. So, no, unless there's something terribly wrong, even though the data read from your CD disc may contain flaws, the data that the drive passes on to you will in fact be perfect. (And most of the better computer audio ripping programs verify this perfection by comparing a checksum of the rip against a database - thus confirming that what you have is in fact perfect.)

Of course, even though we know that the data is perfect, there is still the possibility of timing errors - jitter. However, there is also a simple way to avoid any ill effects from that as well... buffer the data, create a clock locally that you know is free from any significant amount of jitter, and then play the data using this new and near-perfect local clock. Most modern DACs do in fact use some variation on this idea. (And, yes, if the cable introduces jitter, and you've chosen a DAC that, not having any mechanism to avoid the problem, is sensitive to that jitter, then there might actually be an audible difference.) With an Asynchronous USB DAC, the clock itself is generated by the DAC, which requests data from the computer as needed, which ensures a near-perfect clock as long as the computer can keep up. (And, yes, if the computer fails to keep up, there may be data dropouts, which may affect the sound quality. Luckily, a high-speed USB connection is many times faster than necessary for sending flawless audio data. And, luckily, there are tools which can be used to spot check your system and confirm that, at least when the test is run, the system is delivering perfect data. Presumably, if your computer can deliver data for several minutes with zero errors, it's probably safe to assume that this is usually what's happening.)

Your main error is in your claim that "it's impractical for data to be resent". With modern network data transmission, the exact opposite is true, it is EXPECTED[/i] that a certain amount of data will become damaged, and EXPECTED[/i] that either that data will have to be re-sent, or that extra data that can be used to perfectly repair errors will have to be routinely sent as a precaution. (On an Ethernet network we can even calculate, based on network speed and the current amount of traffic, what percentage of the data will be garbled, and how much of it will need to be retransmitted.) And, with any CD that complies with the Red Book standard, a significant amount of extra data, to be used for error correction purposes if necessary, is part of the data stored on every disc. (You are correct that some low-bandwidth connections do in fact choose to allow or ignore errors. This generally happens because of the tradeoff between data bandwidth and quality. In other words, they've decided that the loss in quality due to uncorrected errors will be less noticeable than the loss in quality that be the result of increasing the compression enough to make room for the correction data.)

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
manicm said:
Laurens_B your post was excellent, and I've always said that error correction levels of cd players have been greatly overstated and exaggerated.

The best I have seen in terms of clarity and simplicity. Back in the 90s I was quite convinced transports made a difference and found it possible to demonstrate it to my customers.

Perhaps modern dacs are more tolerant of less than perfect data streams...*unknw*

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
manicm said:
Laurens_B your post was excellent, and I've always said that error correction levels of cd players have been greatly overstated and exaggerated.

I'm not sure I follow you, I read Laurens_B's post as meaning CD players will produce the audio data perfectly?

Tonestar1

manicm said:

+1 for Laurens. Great post. Error correction is fundamental to most protocols. Like I have often said before, if processors, network equipment could be error free (faster) there would be billions spent on it by investment banks running high frequency trading programs. They don't spend as the protocol's priority it to get the bits from A to B. Checksums and retransmits are how they were designed. It's a matter of millieseconds or maybe even micro. Way beyond the element of human hearing.

surreyfrog

Feb 16, 2016
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
manicm said:

I'm not sure I follow you, I read Laurens_B's post as meaning CD players will produce the audio data perfectly?

Yes, that's how I read it too - that CD players and Cds are designed to fix errors when they are encountered, the upshot being that it is as good a method of music replay as anything else.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
manicm said:

I think you successfully managed to completely misinterpret everything he typed. What he said in a nutshell is the process of reading data from the CD is so nailed down with various levels of belt-and-braces error correction that you very nearly have to shoot a bullet hole through the disc before you get unfixable read errors. (Ok not literally.) And a transport capable of reading the disc that perfectly can be bought from eBay for about £15 and comes with a short USB cable attached.

manicm

The thing is I had a CD player that would, on rare occasions, pop or skip a single second of music. My beloved old Pioneer DVD did not tolerate even mildly scratched discs as well as other players. I believe this was true of older Cyrus CD players with the first versions of their proprietary drives as well. And my desktop pc drive would not read Flickering Flame because of Sony's copy protection, but a taking a marker around the circumference solved that - so the laser could be manipulated. Which leads me to believe that if lasers did not affect sound quality, they and in turn transports were not all made equal.

K

keeper of the quays

MajorFubar said:
manicm said:

I think you successfully managed to completely misinterpret everything he typed. What he said in a nutshell is the process of reading data from the CD is so nailed down with various levels of belt-and-braces error correction that you very nearly have to shoot a bullet hole through the disc before you get unfixable read errors. (Ok not literally.) And a transport capable of reading the disc that perfectly can be bought from eBay for about £15 and comes with a short USB cable attached.
can you tell me which transport please? Thanks..

TRENDING THREADS