CD recommendations classical & jazz

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Could anybody recommend compilation cds that contain a good mix of classical music and jazz (not on the same cd) and that are also well produced decent quality recordings?

I don't like either musical style enough to buy lots of cds so would like a compilation of each for when the mood takes me.

I have Spotify but the SQ is way off that of a disc (probably as I use a Kindle Fire source) so really want cds

Thanks

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm going to recommend Jacques Loussier. This is not a compilation CD per se, but it is a series of "Jazzed up" Bach pieces....all beautifully recorded.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/tn0/Toccata-Play-Bach-Jacques-Loussier/B00004LCBQ/ref=sr_1_10?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1489163102&sr=1-10&keywords=jacques+loussier

I would also recommend this, especially the "Take Five" track (also not a compilation):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Time-Out-Dave-Brubeck-Quartet/dp/B000024F6I/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1489163520&sr=1-1&keywords=Time+out

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Any of the "Blue Note Trip" series are good all-rounders, although do wander into a little Latin and funk along the way, but definitely in the groove.

Other standout recommends (IMO of course), although not compilations are;

Rosalia de Souza - d'improvviso

Melanie de Biasio - No Deal

Stan Getz / Charlie Byrd - Jazz Samba

The Peter Edwards Trio - A Matter of Instinct

I'd thoroughly recommend all these.

There are any number of "classical" compilations, most of which are pretty average performances, and recordings that don't really do your system justice. If you have to have one, try to find a sampler from Decca or Hyperion, whose recordings are generally very good.

Or try something from here:-

https://www.gramophone.co.uk/features/focus/greatest-recordings-of-all-time-chosen-by-leading-musicians

if I had to pick one, I'd suggest this:-

Ravel - [/b]Daphnis et Chloé

Montreal SO / Charles Dutoit[/b]

Decca 458 605-2DM

Gaz37

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Some good recommendations there, I just need to choose now.

I've seen plenty of classical compilations & quite a few jazz but I often find that these "Now that's what I call" type very poor quality

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Great jazz suggestions above. Not compilations as such but I'd recommend;

The Bad Plus "Made Possible"

Allen Toussaint, "The Best"

Dave Brubeck "Take Five"

Henry Butler and Stephen Burnstein "Vipers Drag"

Akira Matsuo Trio "Meet me in Paris" - particularly excellent recording.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
ChrisIRL said:
Great jazz suggestions above. Not compilations as such but I'd recommend;

The Bad Plus "Made Possible"

Allen Toussaint, "The Best"

Dave Brubeck "Take Five"

Henry Butler and Stephen Burnstein "Vipers Drag"

Akira Matsuo Trio "Meet me in Paris" - particularly excellent recording.

"Meet me in Paris" has that lovely Hotel California cover playing on the JBL Hartsfields. *music2*

Gaz37 said:
Could anybody recommend compilation cds that contain a good mix of classical music and jazz (not on the same cd) and that are also well produced decent quality recordings?

I don't like either musical style enough to buy lots of cds so would like a compilation of each for when the mood takes me.

I have Spotify but the SQ is way off that of a disc (probably as I use a Kindle Fire source) so really want cds

Thanks

Not too sure about well produced but good enough try The Greatest Jazz Legends from Amazon as a starter. 10 CD's for £12 cannot be bad.

Or very well produced try 'The Best Blue Note Album in the World.... Ever'

There's a thread on the Linn Forum here:-

https://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/showthread.php?tid=23808

Having said that Jazz, as with classical to a degree, comes in many guises and I am not sure which you prefer most.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts