admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've a bought Sugden A21a integrated amp and I would like to hear from anyone with experience of this amp vis-a-vis a decent cd player. Budget up to £1100. Sugden do make their own cd players of course but is there anything better out there. I don't want to much of a 'shrill' top end.

Is there any reading on the web explaining cd players?

Thanks

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
What do you mean "explaining cd players?" What would you like to know as some of us could answer your question
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Start with Wikipedia and go from there. You will find lots of technical terms in the basic Wiki article that can be typed into Google as search terms that will then yeild a host of information.

The two key terms IMHO to start you off are "Red Book" and "DAC" the former is the standard for CD, both disc and reader and the latter is all about converting Digital signals to Analogue.

Happy reading.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your reply Thaiman. What I mean is that when looking through magazines and adverts there seems to be different types of CD players and I wondered what these differences are.

Welshboy has suggested looking at Wikipedia which is a good suggestion.

A

Anonymous

Hello Welshboy. Yes, good suggestion. I'll follow your advice.

A

Anonymous

I think Thaiman and Welshboy thought you were enquiring about the inner workings of a CD player. However you are looking for advice on which CD player to buy?

If this is the case Wikipedia is not the place to start. Have you a hifi shop near you where you could go and listen to some cd players?ÿ

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Waht confuse me is that the Sugden amp is a highly regard HiFi amp but you don't know a cd player! you know your HiFi enough to know what shrill topend is though
emotion-40.gif

Anyway I would recommend something smooth like Rega Saturn and Opera Consonance CD120 as a cheaper option. The Sudgen cd21 SE suppose to be fantastic although I never heard it!.

A

Anonymous

Thaiman:
Waht confuse me is that the Sugden amp is a highly regard HiFi amp but you don't know a cd player! you know your HiFi enough to know what shrill topend is though
emotion-40.gif

Anyway I would recommend something smooth like Rega Saturn and Opera Consonance CD120 as a cheaper option. The Sudgen cd21 SE suppose to be fantastic although I never heard it!.

Thaiman - a CD player you have never heard? Amazing......
emotion-5.gif

How does that Opera Consonance CD120 compare with my Arcam CD192 for rock? Nice price at £695.

A

Anonymous

Ah, now, Thaiman yes, I have just bought the Sugden but in the 1960's I had a Quad II system complete with electrostatics, BBC3 t/table, SME arm etc. You know, KT 66's and all that. Then in the 70's the 303. But in 1983 I had a career change. Bought an hotel. Far too busy for hobbies but now am retired but the world did not stand still and wait for me. So I know very little about hi-fi quality CD players..... Hence the question. Dealers only stock their particular brands of equipment and as I now live in France I only buy when I'm visiting the UK and it's difficult to call on a number of widespread dealers in the time generally available to me.

A

Anonymous

'Evening Octopo. Thanks for the interest. Please see my reply to Thaiman re visiting hi-fi outlets.

Regards

A

Anonymous

Sandy 7:Ah, now, Thaiman yes, I have just bought the Sugden but in the 1960's I had a Quad II system complete with electrostatics, BBC3 t/table, SME arm etc. You know, KT 66's and all that. Then in the 70's the 303. But in 1983 I had a career change. Bought an hotel. Far too busy for hobbies but now am retired but the world did not stand still and wait for me. So I know very little about hi-fi quality CD players..... Hence the question. Dealers only stock their particular brands of equipment and as I now live in France I only buy when I'm visiting the UK and it's difficult to call on a number of widespread dealers in the time generally available to me.

You lucky b****r
emotion-5.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts