CD player upgrade

hifi_fan1

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi all

Currently have an Arcam Alpha CD player, Cambs Audio 640A Azur and Grado 325 headphones

If I upgraded to a Marantz CD63 Mk2 KI from the late 90s would this be a worthwhile upgrade for £120? Or would I be better off buying a new cd player for around £200?

Cheers

hifi_fan1

Jun 25, 2014
Visit site
Well I dont really have a figure in mind per se.

Essentially I would like to spend as little as possible to get the best improvement in sound (Wouldnt we all). I am pretty sure the headphones are being restricted by the CD player rather than the amp. If I could spend as little as £100 to achieve something noticably better than great, if it takes £250 then so be it.

Depending on how you answer pp's good question, I would say get a new CDP if that is your main source, as their days may be numbered. All the faves are reviewed here, but Marantz 6005 is easy to recommend. Currently £259 at Richer Sounds.

hifi_fan1 said:
Well I dont really have a figure in mind per se.

Essentially I would like to spend as little as possible to get the best improvement in sound (Wouldnt we all). I am pretty sure the headphones are being restricted by the CD player rather than the amp. If I could spend as little as £100 to achieve something noticably better than great, if it takes £250 then so be it.

I would be reluctant to recommend the Marantz CD63, not because it isn't any good, but the age means reliability could be an issue.

If you're looking at brand new then Cambridge CDP would be the obvious match with your amp. Also look at Arcam CD17, albeit slightly over budget (s/hand). Or look at older CDPs, such as Arcams own CD73, but you are (again) looking at a product that's over 10 years old.

Go to your nearest Richer Sounds and dem a couple of different makes.

matthewpiano

Close to your budget, the new Marantz CD5005 is essentially the CD6005 but without the USB input, so it could be a good bet. If you want to be able to play files from a USB stick, go for the 6005. Beyond that, its a jump up to the Rega Apollo-R. Buy a good player now, as I think the days of decent affordable disc spinners are probably limited, hence my recent decision to replace my much loved Rotel RCD965BX.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
I agree with all comments above, but I've been very lucky with my Marantz CD 63 KI for the past 10 years as it hasn't skipped a beat! I bought it off eBay for very little money and is an excellent machine.

Saying that, I'm considering a new one at the moment too. Heard the Cambridge Audio 651C and Marantz CD6005 at richer sounds yesterday. Quite different in presentation, but both good machines.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts