CD player upgrade

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I need to get a new cd player as my one is on it`s way out. At the moment i have a Marantz 63SE which has been brilliant for the last 14 years.

I would like to buy the equvilante quality ans sound modern version. Which one would you guy`s recommend.

I was looking at the Marantz CD6002 as it has a great review but is it as good as my old one.

stephennic

Jul 27, 2008
Visit site
gallego1968:

I need to get a new cd player as my one is on it`s way out. At the moment i have a Marantz 63SE which has been brilliant for the last 14 years.

I would like to buy the equvilante quality ans sound modern version. Which one would you guy`s recommend.

I was looking at the Marantz CD6002 as it has a great review but is it as good as my old one.

Hi,

I tried many cd players when trying to replace my Marantz cd63se - it took me over 12 months to find a replacement, here are my findings. Most cd players added a little more detail and a refinement but I found most were not as musically rewarding - the midrange on the old marantz is still quite impressive and musical. The Marantz cd63se was around 350 pounds and i think you would have to pay at least as much or significantly more to better it.

I tried the Marantz cd7001 more detailed but not as natural sounding especially the mids, the Nad c542 was nice and warm but lacked the marantz top end sparkle, the arcam cd73t (bigger soundstage) but was to warm on my system - lacked sparkle, the marantz cd6000 ose was to bright, the cambridge audio 640c v2 added detail and punch but was colder and more clinical than the marantz on certain music, the cambridge became fatigueing on certain types of music, the marantz cd5001 was to laid back, the marantz cd6002 was quite nice and detailed but still liked my old marantz better as it had more warmth in the mids.

The cd players I liked was the Creek Evo - musical, open sounding, quite nice; the Rega Apollo (beautiful top end, excellent detail, slightly lean character) lacks a little in bottom end clout. The one I bought was the consonance cd120 linear - the same musical mid band of the marantz with an extra dose of naturalness, but more detailed and open sounding, with a full bass and airy top end, a 3d soundstage, good timing. I must admit I still have my old marantz though

In the next price up the Naim 5i (very musical), the cyrus 6 (lean, detailed).

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Steve.

A

Anonymous

i dont think replacing CD63SE with CD6002 can be considered as an 'upgrade'. trust me theres nothing much different between this two.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
AudioSyok:i dont think replacing CD63SE with CD6002 can be considered as an 'upgrade'. trust me theres nothing much different between this two.

I agree with that. The 63se and 67 mk2/KI were build so right at the price, to get an obvious upgrade you have to spend a lot more.

A

Anonymous

At the moment i have about £400 to spend on a cd player, so those two are out of the question unless i save a bit more.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Some idea of good players that will be noticable better than the Marantz

£400 2nd hand: Cyrus 7Q, Linn Genki, Musical Fidelity A3.2, X-Ray V3

£500 2nd hand: Cairn Fog 2, Primare CD21, Musical Fidelity A3.5

A

Anonymous

Or brand new, MF XRay v8 for £500 ish. Check out Lintone Audio...they had Arcam CD192 for £400 too, allegedly very very good too.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Reading Iggle post gave me another idea.

Use Marantz as a transport and buy a DAC V8 for around £400, should give you the best sound for buck.

A

Anonymous

...you'll struggle to get the DAC 8 for £400, more like £500-£700. Bloody good suggestion though and you might find one at a bargain price...I'll be there ;-)

stephennic

Jul 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

Perhaps the new cambridge dacmagic may be an option. I tried an old cambridge dacmagic 2i on the old marantz cd63se and certaintly puts it up another level.

Regards,

Steve.

A

Anonymous

The thing about getting 2nd hand is that if it will go wrong and if the player is that good why would that person get rid of it.

stephennic

Jul 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

Maybe go and take the marantz cd63se into a shop and compare it with other cd players in your price range - use your favorite cd's to compare with, or the best way is the borrow a couple of cd players and try them on your system.

Have a good day.

Steve.

A

Anonymous

Good idea on taking my player to compare with the others, many thanks.

A

Anonymous

Just a thought i got a roksan kandy m111 brand new for £350 deliverd! And i love it sounds very natural!

A

Anonymous

I've ust replaced my CD63MkII KI Signature and I took the CD player and amp along to compare. That way you can get a direct comparison and decide if what your paying is worth it. I felt it was only worth changing mine by splashing out quite a bit of cash. I got a Cyrus CD6SE and also upgraded the amp to Cyrus 8Vs2 and speakers to KEF XQ20's. I only originally intended to replace the speakers as one was faulty! Go along and compare and see if there's something you like for your budget or whether it's better to save a while longer.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts