CD Player - Sell or Keep ??

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Hi guys,

I have a bit of a dilema at the moment and not sure what to do for the best.....Current Setup consists of the following:

Caspian M1 Pre / Power Amplifiers + Caspain M1 CDP + Rega Planar 3 TT

I have had the turntable for about 6 months now and the Caspian gear for about 5....however I can probably count on 10 fingers how often the CD player has been turned on in that time as opposed to the TT being used daily.

So here's the dilema do I keep the CD player or sell it??

If I sold it my feeling is I could use the cash to either upgrade my speakers or alternatively look into a DAC which I can attach a digital iPod dock to (all my CD's are on here in lossless format anyway) or alternatively could connect my laptop to.

What would other people think....what would you say are the options if I sold the CDP.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Hi Jason

I thought once I sold my 'very good' Rotel CD player I would miss it but getting the Rega DAC and streamer put paid to that.

I must admit that I do listen to more vinyl than digital these days and playing FLAC files, for me, beats any comparable CD player.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I would suggest an Onkyo ND-S1 digital iPod transport connected to an Arcam rDAC if you are going to sell the CD player and use an iPod as a source. The Onkyo transport bypasses the iPod's own built in DAC (and headphone socket) and outputs the digital stream to a DAC for much better quality than a typical dock.

I suggested the Arcam rDAC because of it's potential for 24bit/96khz via USB. (Assuming your laptop - like most - doesn't have an optical digital output.)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Jason

Here's what I think. Streaming is the future, especially 24 bit, which through a good setup gets close to vinyl.....it should help close the gap.

I think you should sell your CD player (while people still want them) and put the money towards a streaming type solution. You either go straight to a more expensive setup from Linn (Sneaky DS + Nas), Naim or Olive; or you do the stepping stone route that Chebby suggested.

Try to get a demo of what a good streamer can do - it's very impressive....and more futureproof, especially when a better selection of music becomes available on 24 bit.

Cno

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts