CD player optical or phono

simonlewis

Apr 15, 2008
Visit site
I have a Technics SL-PD1000 CD player which has both optical & phono out puts & i was wondering which one is better, currently i have it connected to my onkyo 606 via optical, but i have a button on the unit thats called memory reserve that feature doesn't seem to work when using optical.

So is one better than the other appreciate any help guy's.

A

Anonymous

The way I understand it is that using the 'digital out' is effectively using the cd player as a transport ie. you are using the dacs in the 606 to process the data. The phono output is an analogue output, the digital to analogue conversion is therefore done by the CDP.

As to which is best... it depends on the quality of the dacs in either the AVR or the CDP. Best way to find out is to compare the two output options (i.e quality of the dacs in each unit).

Not sure if I am correct, still a bit of a newb I'm afraid! Anyone else?

A

Anonymous

whimsical:

The way I understand it is that using the 'digital out' is effectively using the cd player as a transport ie. you are using the dacs in the 606 to process the data. The phono output is an analogue output, the digital to analogue conversion is therefore done by the CDP.

As to which is best... it depends on the quality of the dacs in either the AVR or the CDP. Best way to find out is to compare the two output options (i.e quality of the dacs in each unit).

Not sure if I am correct, still a bit of a newb I'm afraid! Anyone else?

Your description is spot on!
emotion-21.gif

Basically it's a case of trying both and choosing which ever one you prefer. Remember that with the phono (analogue) output, a quality interconnect can make a big difference.

A

Anonymous

If you feel that your CD Player's internal digital-to-analogue converters are superior to the ones in your A/V Receiver, then go analogue connection. If not, then digital connection.

However, even though if you connect via analogue, bear in mind that almost every single A/V Receiver out there even when connected via analogue, will still digitise the received analogue signals and then apply its own digital-to-analogue conversion to the signal.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts