cd player cleaner

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
They'll all much of a muchness, in that they're just cds with a line of soft bristles on the playing surface, but you'll pay a premium for the big names like Sony or Maxwell.

If you go on Amazon, they have a fair selection. That's where I got mine, I think I paid less than a fiver.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
DONT use cotton buds / alcohol as this can scratch the lens. Personally I would not use one of the CD "brush" type either.

Compressed air in a tin (keyboard cleaner) etc from Maplins should do the trick.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Canned air can release propellant unless held level and tested first. (Even then no guarantee it won't.)

Plus it is very powerful and can end up just redistributing dust and goodness knows what from inside the player all over the lens again!

A small (very) soft bristled artists brush lightly brushed over the lens with no pressure applied.

(And don't blow on it either. Tiny particles of spit/tea/wine etc does the lens no good at all.)

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
From the Naim Forum (every day is a school day - thanks Chebby)

"If the lens is dusty you might consider using a bulb style camera lens blower and, using this, lightly blow across the lens to lift surface dust. The compressed gas blowers are too vigorous.

Any attempt to clean the lens with cotton bud or similar is likely to result in scratches and possibly push the laser from proper alignment."

A

Anonymous

But how do you access the laser lens - do you have to open up the cd player or just open the cd drawer?

I concur to avoid canned air such as the "Kenro air duster" - while some camera stores used to use this to clean cameras in the 1970s and 1980s it is now accepted that the danger of some liquid propellant being spat out is too risky - I can confirm this is an issue as I used to use it clean 35mm slides before projection but now know better !

The Giotto's rocket air blower, available from some photographic outlets is good, because it has some mechanism whereby it does not suck dust into it before you use it to blow air out - and it's cheap.

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
The hifi dealer here in Malaysia also adviced me not to use one of those CDs with small brushes on it. Apparently it cause more harm to the CDP rather than cleaning it.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
Hawkmoon:
But how do you access the laser lens - do you have to open up the cd player or just open the cd drawer?

I concur to avoid canned air such as the "Kenro air duster" - while some camera stores used to use this to clean cameras in the 1970s and 1980s it is now accepted that the danger of some liquid propellant being spat out is too risky - I can confirm this is an issue as I used to use it clean 35mm slides before projection but now know better !

The Giotto's rocket air blower, available from some photographic outlets is good, because it has some mechanism whereby it does not suck dust into it before you use it to blow air out - and it's cheap.

70s and 80s?! I have fond memories of working in the photo booth at Tesco in the late 90s and passing the time "cryogenically freezing" things by turning the compressed air duster upside down and spraying them with propellant (man that stuff gets cold) ....almost as much fun as putting something small and furry in the dark-box when your colleague isn't looking. Happy days....

But back on topic - I agree, don't use a compressed air duster a) because you could easily damage the CDP and b) because the temptation to **** about is just too great and it's bound to get you into trouble.

ivavcr

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
If it was or is harmful, some of my CDs or DVDs would have been dead long time ago since I cleaned them a number of times. Never had a problem as a result of cleaning the lens with it.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
How old is the CDP?

What you're describing sounds more like a tracking servo issue than a lens issue. Kind of like the tone arm on a record player sticking rather than a dull needle ( which would affect sound throughout the recording).

It may get need a complete replacement transport unit. That isn't as drastic as it sounds as most CDPs actually use generic transports you can buy on Fleabay.

Barbapapa

Feb 13, 2016
Visit site
If it doesn't read some CDs the laser unit might be in need of realignment. This appears to be something that occurs with Marantz CD players. I googled for it when I had the same issue with my Marantz, and with the aid of some explanation I did manage to fix this myself. Of course that voided the warranty, but it was a second-hand unit anyway. Effectively you have to open it up, turn (or tighten?) some screws until the CD works again, and fixate the screws with some kind of glue/paint/polish stuff so they won't turn again. But if you are not handy or want to keep the warranty, you have to contact your dealer for official repair/realignment.

It is possible also that the laser unit is damaged and has to be replaced.

Greenwich_Man

Sep 6, 2008
Visit site
I'm so sorry - the CD I was unable to play was one of the set of 3 - and it's actually a DVD (the others are CDs)

So the CD cleaner looks good to me. So I'll get an Allsop lens cleaner. And I hope it should solve the problem.

Thanks again to all of you.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
nopiano said:
Greenwich_Man said:
macdiddy said:
no type of lens cleaner is ever going to solve that problem.

*unknw*

Yes - I was being blind

Thanks
A spectacle cleaning cloth, maybe?!
Off topic, but...

What do you think of your Primare i32?

Is it powerful and dynamic enough or would you go for a power amp chained in or a pre/power combo?

Does it stream? And is that usuable by old f#rts like me and the wife or will I need a teenager every time 'er indoors wants to bop out to her Madonna CDs?

Benedict_Arnold said:
nopiano said:
Greenwich_Man said:
macdiddy said:
no type of lens cleaner is ever going to solve that problem.

*unknw*

Yes - I was being blind

Thanks
A spectacle cleaning cloth, maybe?!
Off topic, but...

What do you think of your Primare i32?

Is it powerful and dynamic enough or would you go for a power amp chained in or a pre/power combo?

Does it stream? And is that usuable by old f#rts like me and the wife or will I need a teenager every time 'er indoors wants to bop out to her Madonna CDs?
I'm delighted with it, bearing in mind it was new this year, and succeeded a much loved Krell KAV300 now almost 20 years old. Beautiful clear display, customisable input, silent save for a minute trace of transformer hum, no clicks or pops, runs cool. Dead easy to use - on/off button and one knob does volume, the other input selection. Switches on at lower volume than last used if you want it to, so no nasty surprises. Also a remote, obvs! No sense of strain with my not especially sensitive ATCs in a 7 x 3.5 metre room. It doesn't stream as standard, but you can get an add on module that does.

I have always liked beefy integrated amps, such as the Krell and a Sansui AU-919 many years ago. Once had a Meridian preamp with Musical Fidelity Studio T power amp, that was a show prize - lucky me. Don't think it sounded better, and it did dim the lights when turned on!

Personally I don't have funds or inclination for power amp. Would go ATC active if premium bond came up. The I32 is soon to be replaced, so either check out new models or get one at a discount. I paid £1400 -v- list of £2000. Lots of reviews on Primare website.

Greenwich_Man

Sep 6, 2008
Visit site
Well the CD disc arrived this morning. Allsop Prolens Cleaner.

I did the required stuff it recommends. And I am now listening to one of my CDs. The sound does seem to have improved. (I had some new KEF speakers – and they do seem to sound better)

When the CD is ended I will know if the issue of jumping has been resolved.

The end

And the issue has been resolved - thanks so much to all of you for your kind help

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts