Castle Severn 2 speakers / Roksan Caspian bi amp setup

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello all,

This is to update on the previous posts after getting the new Caspian M1 power amp to complete the bi amp setup.

I have to say that I am delighted with the result, the Severn 2's sound like a different speaker altogether, tight controlled sounds with plenty of breath in them. The sound is altogther more detailled with a broader soundstage, every instrument making its individual presence felt ( within reason) while listening to John Williams Magic Box which is a very good recording.

Even playing a Grimethorpe Colllierybrass band CD, the various instruments in the band are much more clearly poised with brass wind notes having more breath and tonality.

I can hear a great difference to before - more dynamic, better bass, much more defined but not bright treble and the guitar work sounds very natural. Thanks to all to contributed - MUCH APPRECIATED!!

Just for the record i am using a Roksan Kandy Mk111 CDP, Roksan Caspian Pre amp, two Caspian M1 power amps and Chord Chameleon plus interconnects with Chord Odyssey 2 bi wired cable in 3 m lengths.

Hubert

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
HungryHenry:
I can hear a great difference to before - more dynamic, better bass, much more defined but not bright treble and the guitar work sounds very natural. Thanks to all to contributed - MUCH APPRECIATED!!

Hubert

Glad you are happy Hubert. The best of all worlds by the sound of it and 500 nicka left over eh??

A

Anonymous

Hello jiggyjoe, I am horizontal bi amping , one amp running both low frequency and one amp running both hi frequency.

Richard, thanks for the help, my system has gone from good ordinary to a proper hi fi one which I love listening to, the detail and musical representation is fantastic < i am absolutely chuffed with it and my wife is much pleased about the underspend! That was great advice, Cheers!

Hubert

jiggyjoe

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
Might be worth trying vertical bi-amp, can be a worthwhile improvement when using 2-way loudspeakers.

With added bonus of each power amp only seeing 1 (left or right) channel they are effectively running as monoblocks.

Richard Allen

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
jiggyjoe:
With added bonus of each power amp only seeing 1 (left or right) channel they are effectively running as monoblocks.

The man's got a point. Might be worth a try Hubert although it's a lot of faffin' about if you're already happy.

A

Anonymous

Hello folks

Its worth a try if it might make a difference , my cabling and hardware is easily accessible.

Am I right in thinking that the way you suggest it to take both left and right channels from one amp to one speaker - and the same for the other amp? Would this cause any undue load / shortening life to the amps as the channels are normally separated on diffrent speakers? What would be the gain in a monobloc config?

Hubert

jiggyjoe

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
correct! 1 channel of your amp drives the midbass driver, the other drives the tweeter. And your other power amp does the same to the other speaker.

As you are driving the speakers effectively in mono you don't get crosstalk between stereo left and right signals.

No risk of damage to your amps as each amp see's the same load.

To go one better again LOL! is to place your power amps close to each speaker and use long interconnects and short speaker cables.

Never ending tweaking to audio nirvana!!!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts