CARTRIDGE UPGRADE FOR MY TECHNICS SL1200MK2

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
I,m looking to upgrade my cartridge pretty soon, but not sure how high to go.........looking at ortofon 2m red, but maybe thats not high enough, would the 2m blue be a better bet.......any suggestions would be great guys, thanks

audioaddict said:
I,m looking to upgrade my cartridge pretty soon, but not sure how high to go.........looking at ortofon 2m red, but maybe thats not high enough, would the 2m blue be a better bet.......any suggestions would be great guys, thanks

Obviously 2M Blue would be better than the 2M Red (which is basically the 'starter' cartridge in the range), however have a look at a few threads on here and you will see you could do a lot better.

It really does all depend on what your maximum budget is going to be.

stevebrock said:
MP500 is lovely - I have one !

Cant comment about the 2m Black but these 2 are the best MMs on the market

Would have to agree there but I'm guessing these are a little bit above what the OP had in mind to spend.

There are better 'mid-range' options and I'd certainly suggest he moves away from the cheaper Ortofons (purely personal maybe as I could never get on with their sound). I do believe there is better out there from the likes of Grado etc.

D

Deleted member 108165

audioaddict said:

What cartridge are you currently using?

It's all incremental - 2M Blue is better than the Red. As you know I have the Pioneer clone of your Technics and have used the Red, Blue, Bronze and Black on the Pioneer. Each have their individual qualities but I settled with the Black, (overkill maybe on my "DJ" deck but my money so my choice). You could always try a Red and if it doesn't suit then get a Blue stylus at a later date, (they share a common cartridge). Bronze and Black are outstanding cartridges; Bronze is very low on needle talk, Black is a rather special MM cart but can be a little noisy - you hear every pop and click. Only problem with Ortofon is that their replacement styli are so damned expensive.

Currently trying out a Nag MP300 on the Pioneer, supremely quiet and similar to the Bronze in that respect but neither are on par with the 2M Black regarding performance, (unfair comparison really as I should be comparing the two flagships - MP500 to the 2M Black). Maybe it's my Marantz amp being slightly warm and the Nagaoka having similar traits; currently on about 20 hours with the MP300, I'll keep it going until about 50 hours before I make a final decision.

Others will undoubtedly have alternatives that I have never heard, at the end of the day it is all down to which suits your taste.

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
yes youre right AL at the moment, the ortofon blackis more than i want to spend at the minute..........price wise i,m looking probably as far as a 2m blue, so any suggestions up to that price range would be a great help........thanks guys

audioaddict said:
yes youre right AL at the moment, the ortofon blackis more than i want to spend at the minute..........price wise i,m looking probably as far as a 2m blue, so any suggestions up to that price range would be a great help........thanks guys

In that case I would be seriously considering the Grado Prestige Gold or as a better 'all-rounder' the Audio Technica AT-440MLb.

strms

Feb 1, 2015
Visit site
Hi, I have an Ortofon Bronze on my 1210 and have been really pleased with it. Have been a fan of Ortofon since using Concordes for DJing. One thing that I have learnt is that the correct set up for non DJ carts is essential.

D

Deleted member 108165

audioaddict said:

Appreciate I wandered a little off-course in my initial post so I'll reiterate my main questions: What cartridge do you currently have fitted to the Technics? Do you like the sound? What improvements are you looking for?

I've read some reports of grounding issues on certain Grado's, (can cause a problem with the cast headshell we have on our decks). I even had a problem (hum) with the Nag on my cast headshell and had to purchase a wooden headshell! Not trying to steer you either way, just trying to help.

Must admit that the Ortofons fit perfectly on our headshells as the mounting screws and stylus are very close to the front of the cartridge. The Nag mounting screws and stylus sit further back on the cart and require elongated slots to get the correct overhang measurement; can be remedied easily with a wooden headshell, not so easy with a cast one, (longer headshell required). So when looking for new carts bear this point in mind.

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
ah thanks doug thats a big help, i,m currently using an audio tecnica, though struggling to remember the model number, it was about 22 quid brand new so someone who is more familiar with audiotechnica may be able to come up with the model. It does a sterling job for the money, but now I have moved the whole system out into the lounge with a proper listening position I can now hear the system properly and now feel the time has come to be able to benefit a cartridge upgrade (as long as the benefits would be obvious that is as i was never happy with my previous system after spending nearly 3k).........i rather fancy an ortofon blue if i,m honest as thats about as much as i can spend at mo and especially if its a better fit than some others, do some stores let you home demo cartridges ?..........i nearly bought a plx 1000 last week due to the fact its so technics like and not read a bad word about it as yet and to be honest, when you said your cartridge was over kill on it, i think you were playing that down a bit as I read the stereophile review who said it was a superb audiophile deck and one of the best up to 2k.......youve got a belter if you ask me mate

D

Deleted member 108165

audioaddict said:
ah thanks doug thats a big help, i,m currently using an audio tecnica, though struggling to remember the model number, it was about 22 quid brand new so someone who is more familiar with audiotechnica may be able to come up with the model. It does a sterling job for the money, but now I have moved the whole system out into the lounge with a proper listening position I can now hear the system properly and now feel the time has come to be able to benefit a cartridge upgrade (as long as the benefits would be obvious that is as i was never happy with my previous system after spending nearly 3k).........i rather fancy an ortofon blue if i,m honest as thats about as much as i can spend at mo and especially if its a better fit than some others, do some stores let you home demo cartridges ?..........i nearly bought a plx 1000 last week due to the fact its so technics like and not read a bad word about it as yet and to be honest, when you said your cartridge was over kill on it, i think you were playing that down a bit as I read the stereophile review who said it was a superb audiophile deck and one of the best up to 2k.......youve got a belter if you ask me mate

You may be able to get a demo in-store if they've got a tt fitted with a Blue, but it wouldn't be fitted to a Technics, and they sure as hell wouldn't let you take one home on demo *smile*. It's a damned shame that we can't sell on here as I have a Blue stylus sitting in the drawer with about 2 hours on it - not much good to you as you need a cart to attach it to *dash1*

As for the Black, I am under no illusion that this cart would sound infinitely better if it were fitted to Steve's or Al's tt's; but I'm just so taken with these direct drives, I think they're fantastic - especially the mighty Technics.

When you get your cart go to this website: http://conradhoffman.com/chsw.htm and download the Arc Template Generator. I think, like me, you'll need the Stevenson A setting, (come back to me for the spindle to pivot distance as it's the same on our decks). Brilliant being able to align the stylus to an arc sweep instead of just two grid-boxes.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
you probably right the top end Nagaoka and 2M Black probably bit unbalanced on a SL1210 - fantastic deck it is - think i paid £399 for my SL1200 circa 1997 - bloody bargain cos they are bombproof

stevebrock said:
you probably right the top end Nagaoka and 2M Black probably bit unbalanced on a SL1210 - fantastic deck it is - think i paid £399 for my SL1200 circa 1997 - bloody bargain cos they are bombproof

I'd disagree there stevebrock. It would depend what tonearm you decide to fit to it. I've seen some rather expensive arms (SME 309 etc) fitted to them, as they are that good a deck, and these will take these cartridges and more.

You would, however, be correct if you kept the stock tonearm fitted.

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
DougK said:
ok mate will do cheers

audioaddict said:

You may be able to get a demo in-store if they've got a tt fitted with a Blue, but it wouldn't be fitted to a Technics, and they sure as hell wouldn't let you take one home on demo *smile*. It's a damned shame that we can't sell on here as I have a Blue stylus sitting in the drawer with about 2 hours on it - not much good to you as you need a cart to attach it to *dash1*

As for the Black, I am under no illusion that this cart would sound infinitely better if it were fitted to Steve's or Al's tt's; but I'm just so taken with these direct drives, I think they're fantastic - especially the mighty Technics.

When you get your cart go to this website: http://conradhoffman.com/chsw.htm and download the Arc Template Generator. I think, like me, you'll need the Stevenson A setting, (come back to me for the spindle to pivot distance as it's the same on our decks). Brilliant being able to align the stylus to an arc sweep instead of just two grid-boxes.

audioaddict

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
audioaddict said:
DougK said:
audioaddict said:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts