Cartridge to replace my 10x4

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
I'm finally having to part with my 30-y.o. Dynavector 10x4, and would appreciate advice for a replacement. My budget is around £100, and after some searching, I'm looking at Shure M97xE, Goldring 2100, Nagaoka MP110, Ortofon 2M Red, or if it's really worth it, Rega Elys 2, or Ortofon 2M Blue. I'd love a 10x5, but it's just too expensive.

My gear is a Rega Planar 3, R200, CA640, Naim Uniti, Royd Doublets, and I'd just like to get the nearest sound to the 10x4 as possible. The strongest contenders are the Shure and the Nagaoka.

Yes, all Nagaoka's I've heard have been very good for the money.

From your list I would go for this or the Shure (recently fitted one of these to my brother's TT). I'd forgetthe cheaper Ortofons and the Rega as these can easily be beaten in SQ, in my view, for similar money.

GeoffreyW said:
I'm finally having to part with my 30-y.o. Dynavector 10x4, and would appreciate advice for a replacement. My budget is around £100, and after some searching, I'm looking at Shure M97xE, Goldring 2100, Nagaoka MP110, Ortofon 2M Red, or if it's really worth it, Rega Elys 2, or Ortofon 2M Blue. I'd love a 10x5, but it's just too expensive.

My gear is a Rega Planar 3, R200, CA640, Naim Uniti, Royd Doublets, and I'd just like to get the nearest sound to the 10x4 as possible. The strongest contenders are the Shure and the Nagaoka.

I'd also throw ClearAudio into the mix.

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
Hadn't considered Clearaudio, PP, but I seem to recall they're quality items, so some research is due - I assume you're referring to the Concept cartridge? I've had a search, can't find any reviews, and they're also a bit more than i want to pay. I also found good words spoken about the Audio Technice AT95E, which is easily affordable. The 2M Red may be too bright, whereas the Goldring and Shure have accurate bass, and sweet mid- and high-frequencies.

On the subject of running in, While in Sainsbury's this morning I wondered if playing 45s would run the cartridge in quicker than 33s? :roll:

GeoffreyW said:
Hadn't considered Clearaudio, PP, but I seem to recall they're quality items, so some research is due - I assume you're referring to the Concept cartridge? I've had a search, can't find any reviews, and they're also a bit more than i want to pay. I also found good words spoken about the Audio Technice AT95E, which is easily affordable. The 2M Red may be too bright, whereas the Goldring and Shure have accurate bass, and sweet mid- and high-frequencies.

On the subject of running in, While in Sainsbury's this morning I wondered if playing 45s would run the cartridge in quicker than 33s? :roll:

Yes, the Concept - don't think they make the Classic Wood anymore. They are quality and very good VFM. There's one at the mo for £150 new, reduced from about £300.

Not heard ATs for soooo long, but I know most of their modern stuff is budget end. Shure is another very good budget cart, as is Goldring.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
GeoffreyW said:
I'm going to go for the Nagaoka, as I see that the stylus can be changed and improved by some margin, for moderate cost. Thanks for your input, chaps.

The MP200 has the Boron Cantilever so as time goes on its a worthwhile upgrade

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
Well, Nagaoka MP110 arrived this morning, together with WHF magazine. The cartridge is installed, sounds very different from the 10x4, but sounds very promising, and is left to run in for a few hours.

What a day - new mag. to read, Touring cars& Grand National this afternoon, F1 quali later tonight, beer, tea and espresso to keep my throat moist during the day....it's going to take some effort, but I think I'm up to it. :dance:

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
GeoffreyW said:
Well, Nagaoka MP110 arrived this morning, together with WHF magazine. The cartridge is installed, sounds very different from the 10x4, but sounds very promising, and is left to run in for a few hours.

What a day - new mag. to read, Touring cars& Grand National this afternoon, F1 quali later tonight, beer, tea and espresso to keep my throat moist during the day....it's going to take some effort, but I think I'm up to it. :dance:

Sounds like the perfect day :grin:

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
Just an update on my new Nagaoka MP110 - I hadn't realised how much detail I was missing, wish I'd done it years ago. There's so much detail, more information, now, and I'm having to listen to all my vinyl for the first time in years. One problem is that, now, I'm already wondering about upgrading the stylus, plus I've started buying new vinyl, both normal and audiophile, just to enjoy all the music I was missing. With all this improvement just with a cartridge swap, I feel an attack of upgradeitis coming on for the rest of the TT. Where's it going to end?

Haven't played a CD since the cart arrived.

Thanks for the help, guys.

AlbaBrown

Jun 29, 2012
Visit site
Wow!

If you coaxed 30yrs out the 10x4 it will have been well past it's prime! (even if it had never seen a groove!). I'm guessing the exhange discount Dynavector run doesn't soften the blow much?

The Nagaoka MP110 is a great little cartidge, bouncy and musical character. This was on my old Planar3 (with an RB300 + Tungsten weight)

I had owned a Rega Bias then Elys2 and they were/are just....bland. Considering this was running into a Rotel RA1062 and KEF Q3s (urrggh *shudders*) they must've been really bland.

By stark contrast the Ortofons can come across as being unruly (you can tart up an OM5 all you like Ortofon, doesn't change the beast). Had a brief sample of a Goldring 2500 and a Shure (95 I think)on a P3-24, both were ok given they're price but nothing more

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
I did have the 10x4 fitted for 30+ years, Alba, but hadn't played vinyl for more than 15 years, due to work and a young family, so when I did get round listen occasionally, it seemed ok, but I preferred the sound and convenience of CDs, so the vinyl stayed unplayed, until I got the upgrade bug again, and the Rega was the next target, as it were.

I have to admit that the MP110 is revealing far more info and music than I had previously heard for some time, probably more than the 10x4 had when new; this I'd put down to the cartridge being better than my system was able to cope with. I also had an Ortofon FF15E in a spare headshell, but guess that the suspension of that haad suffered the same fate, as it didn't sound very good at all.

The Dynavector was worth around £65 as a trade-in, but I just couldn't afford a 10x5, so sold it on.

So, I'm enjoying the music, but now wondering whether to just carry on, or how much better could my music sound were I to upgrade the motor and arm of the Planar 3, or sell it as it is, raise some cash and upgrade to a P3/24, Pro-ject Debut Carbon or similar. And the Goldring and Shure cartridges are potential purchases.

But will it stop there, I ask? I doubt it, somehow.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts