Cartridge for RP3

jcarruthers

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
So as I've had two dodgy Elys cartridges in a row (apparently from a bad batch) I have asked the dealer how much it'll cost me to change to another cartridge — saves me getting the Elys and having to sell it. I really enjoyed the Elys (when it was working) but it lacked a certain excitement — it had huge detail but seemed quite flat. I prefer my ProJect with Ortofon 2M Red.

The question is — what else?

I am considering the Exact — as it seems to be the most straight forward option.

James

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I've folowed the opinion of my Rega Dealer, in the vinyl market for 30 years, a Rega dealer since the begining, Well Tempered Lab, Clearaudio, Grado, Dynavector, Goldring.

A deep knowledge of TT and analogue sound, provider of technichal assistance for all the above brands!

The results of my combo are amazing!

Goldring 1012gx

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
I've folowed the opinion of my Rega Dealer, in the vinyl market for 30 years, a Rega dealer since the begining, Well Tempered Lab, Clearaudio, Grado, Dynavector, Goldring.

A deep knowledge of TT and analogue sound, provider of technichal assistance for all the above brands!

Goldring 1012gx

I'm definitely in need of a new cartridge for my P3 now. I was giving my deck a really good dust and clean up this evening and did a school boy error by accidentally damaging and bending the stylus
smiley-embarassed.gif
Never done that before in all my life, can't believe it.

Anyway, back to my Goldring question. Am I right in thinking you originally had a Rega cart? If so did you swap this over or did your dealer do it for you? I'm just wondering whether there is much difference between a Rega and Goldring cart as regards the VTA. Dependent on who you read, VTA is either vitally important or a mm here and there wont make that much difference if any.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
DIB said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:

Goldring 1012gx

I'm definitely in need of a new cartridge for my P3 now. I was giving my deck a really good dust and clean up this evening and did a school boy error by accidentally damaging and bending the stylus
smiley-embarassed.gif
Never done that before in all my life, can't believe it.

Anyway, back to my Goldring question. Am I right in thinking you originally had a Rega cart? If so did you swap this over or did your dealer do it for you? I'm just wondering whether there is much difference between a Rega and Goldring cart as regards the VTA. Dependent on who you read, VTA is either vitally important or a mm here and there wont make that much difference if any.

i never heard the RP3 with the Rega cartridge, as my Rega dealer don't like the Elis or Exact!

About you question, I don't dare to change a cart, all that work is provided by my rega dealer, he has all the tools like a oscilloscope...

He provide for his costumers a 5 star service with no extra charge !!!

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
After last nights calamity I took advantage of a day off from work today and took my P3 down to my dealers and bought myself a new Ortofon 2m Blue. They fitted it and set it up just right. Just playing Al Green's "Greatest Hits" back at home and it's sounding fabulous. I'm not a "night and day" person but it leaves my old Rega Bias for dead.

BTW. when they tested the new cart at the dealers they used a Rega Brio-R hooked up a lovely pair of Rosewood Epos Elan 10s. What a lovely compact pair of speakers they are, sounded beautiful Anyone looking at standmounts around the £400-£500 mark could do a lot worse then consider the Elan 10s.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
DIB said:
After last nights calamity I took advantage of a day off from work today and took my P3 down to my dealers and bought myself a new Ortofon 2m Blue. They fitted it and set it up just right. Just playing Al Green's "Greatest Hits" back at home and it's sounding fabulous. I'm not a "night and day" person but it leaves my old Rega Bias for dead.

BTW. when they tested the new cart at the dealers they used a Rega Brio-R hooked up a lovely pair of Rosewood Epos Elan 10s. What a lovely compact pair of speakers they are, sounded beautiful Anyone looking at standmounts around the £400-£500 mark could do a lot worse then consider the Elan 10s.

Every thing is alright now!

About the Epos, I didn't heard the Elan range, but did demo the Epic 2 and 5, very nice set of speakers, a very organic sound.

Best REGArds

mgkwackerd

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I also had two faulty Rega Elys 2 cartridges, on the RP3, and decided not to try 3rd time lucky but invest in another Cartridge

I've gone for the Denon DL110, great for not picking up surface noise and a very musical rather than clinical cart with great treble and midrange, just a tad short on bass, but it has only had 10 hours yet, so hopefully this will improve.

No mods to RB303 arm, or phono stage even though it is a M/C cartridge, well pleased as I prefer the older warmer sound than the newer clinical sound (Had Goldring 2500 great detail, but tiresome on a Linn LP12)

jcarruthers

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
mgkwackerd — when did you have those faulty cartridges.

Thanks all for your recommendations — I'll come back to this when I am back home — currently stuck in South Africa on business for a month.

mgkwackerd

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Hi jcarruthers,

I bought my RP3 S/Hand just 3 months old. When I went to audition it, I told the owner it had a faulty cartridge, this was the end of April, the RP3 was bought end of January 2013.

He took it back to his dealer and they ordered a new Cartridge, I bought the deck and the owner brought the new cartridge to me on 9th May, the delay being Rega were sourcing new Elys 2 because of problems, and yes this was faulty as well, different problem ( I opened a thread "Rega RP3 strange after noise" on here, and there is a fuller explanation on there) So I gave it him back and he gave me a proportional discount, just for the deck, and I've now bought a Denon DL-110, which is shaping up lovely through my Rega Fono and Cyrus Pre/power mono amps system into big F/S Kefs.

I'll never mess with rega cartridges again, masses of threads about noise/hum and failures, I'd avoid.

mgkwackerd

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Hi steve,

lots of threads say the Denon is very well suited to the Rega arm, I wasn't sure, so went to a reference dealer and heard the DL-110, the Goldring 1042 and Ortofon Blue, I decided on the denon with my own ears, and as it happened it was the cheapest as well - LOL :)

It is turning out to be very sweet with very little surface noise (I have lots of records about 30 - 45 years old (age giveaway)) and it has re-vitalised them.

It has only had about 16 hours and I anticipate when fully burnt in, I will be very happy :grin:

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Maybe it's worth me investigating going up further the Denon range / I think Rega carts do display a lot of surface noise on some of my records and if the Denon carts eradicate this then I'm all ears!

That is my only criticism of the Exact - however I won't know if the excess surface noise is my records or the Exact!

Most of my LPs display no surface noise and sound absolutely fantastic and I can sit down for hours listening to it without any fatigue.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
A week into my new Ortofon 2M Blue now, and it's had some heavy duty use so well broken in. When I had the basic Rega Bias cart on the sound was just OK, but I definitely felt that I was missing some spark. The 2M Blue has delivered that spark in droves I'm glad to say. Considering that the 2M Blue is over twice the price of the Bias I suppose you're entitled to say so it should. However, as I have found over the years paying twice the price for something in hi-fi doesn't always guarantee improvements, but in this instance the change of cartridge has improved my vinyl listening experience hugely. Bearing in mind this is still a humble P3 turntable after all, I'd love to hear a more top of the range set-up some day just to hear what is achievable.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
DIB said:
A week into my new Ortofon 2M Blue now, and it's had some heavy duty use so well broken in. When I had the basic Rega Bias cart on the sound was just OK, but I definitely felt that I was missing some spark. The 2M Blue has delivered that spark in droves I'm glad to say. Considering that the 2M Blue is over twice the price of the Bias I suppose you're entitled to say so it should. However, as I have found over the years paying twice the price for something in hi-fi doesn't always guarantee improvements, but in this instance the change of cartridge has improved my vinyl listening experience hugely. Bearing in mind this is still a humble P3 turntable after all, I'd love to hear a more top of the range set-up some day just to hear what is achievable.

there is no such thing as a humble TT from Rega... ;)

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
DIB said:

Try a simple standard black to 'white belt' upgrade, for £21.00, its a bargin . . . then there is a new (correct size) metal sub platter and saphir bearing, another £130.00'ish, value for money upgrades. Saphire bearing not a 'must have' IMHO. . .

CJSF

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
DIB said:
I'd love to hear a more top of the range set-up some day just to hear what is achievable.

DIB. Are you within striking distance of mid Cornwall ?. If so you are more than welcome to come my place for a listen to something a smidge ;) higher up the ladder. This could be arranged easy peasy.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
floyd droid said:
DIB said:
I'd love to hear a more top of the range set-up some day just to hear what is achievable.

DIB. Are you within striking distance of mid Cornwall ?. If so you are more than welcome to come my place for a listen to something a smidge ;) higher up the ladder. This could be arranged easy peasy.

That's very kind of you Floyd, but as I live in sunny Manchester that's not really an option
smiley-frown.gif

Funnily enough since that post of mine, I was in an elderly customers home a couple of weeks ago and he had the most fantastic Origin Live turntable set-up in his front room. Sounded fantastic. He also told me he had various vintage Thorens and Garrard TTs in his basement that he was keeping for posterity.

Having said all that I still get maximum pleasure from my P3.

jcarruthers

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
To finish this off — as I am in stuck in SA on business I got the whole thing sent back.

I'll decide what to do — possibly with a different cartridge.

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Definitely AT OC 09, if you've got a MC phono amp. BB King, 1973, sounds supremely, 'To know you is to love you' is the record. A DAC doesn't come close!

TRENDING THREADS