Question Canton + Rega = true?

miksko

May 27, 2024
Visit site
Is the Rega Elicit amplifier an alright pairing with the Canton Vento Reference 5 speakers? If not, then which amplifier would you suggest?

Is the Rega Elicit amplifier an alright pairing with the Canton Vento Reference 5 speakers? If not, then which amplifier would you suggest?
There's no reason it shouldn't work well with those speakers. However, looking at the original price I might be pairing it with something more expensive, but that's just me. What made you choose it?

Last edited:

Integralista

Feb 9, 2024
Visit site
Which Elicit do you mean? There are quite big differences in sound signature between generations.

Canton Vento Reference 5 DC are very good speakers. You need really big room 30m² and more. Below, bass may be boomy. All membranes incl. tweeter are Alu, so take care with cabling, some good neutral Cu based speaker cable will be preferable (Cardas, QED). They are not the most sensitive with 88.5dB (on paper), so power reserve will help. I recommend min 2x100 watt/8 Ohm from class AB amp. And based on some tests, they miss bass below 45hz. I will combine them with high quality sub to get full range. Than you need active output from preamp or your integrated amp. Elicit has such output from preamp. I use it like this with 2 Velodyne subs. Soundstage has published in 2008 very serious review of this Canton. If Elicit than either Gen 4 or 5, which have both power in spades. Gen 3 has less power and more forgiving character (like good tubes). Gen 2 again very good control with questionmark over reliability.

miksko

May 27, 2024
Visit site
There's no reason it shouldn't work well with those speakers. However, looking at the original price I might be pairing it with something more expensive, but that's just me. What made you choose it?
I purchased the loudspeakers second hand and would never have bought them at their price as new. The amplifier I bought as new, for a slightly higher pricer than the speakers. So, in short: I didn't want to spend more. But I did compare the Rega with two other amplifiers, within roughly the same price range, and neither one of them sounded as good as the Rega.

Reactions: Al ears

miksko

May 27, 2024
Visit site
Which Elicit do you mean? There are quite big differences in sound signature between generations.

Canton Vento Reference 5 DC are very good speakers. You need really big room 30m² and more. Below, bass may be boomy. All membranes incl. tweeter are Alu, so take care with cabling, some good neutral Cu based speaker cable will be preferable (Cardas, QED). They are not the most sensitive with 88.5dB (on paper), so power reserve will help. I recommend min 2x100 watt/8 Ohm from class AB amp. And based on some tests, they miss bass below 45hz. I will combine them with high quality sub to get full range. Than you need active output from preamp or your integrated amp. Elicit has such output from preamp. I use it like this with 2 Velodyne subs. Soundstage has published in 2008 very serious review of this Canton. If Elicit than either Gen 4 or 5, which have both power in spades. Gen 3 has less power and more forgiving character (like good tubes). Gen 2 again very good control with questionmark over reliability.
The amplifier is the Rega Elicit Mk V, so the power is sufficient . The room is probably 40 m2 but unfortunately it is U-shaped (it has a dividing wall) with the speakers standing at each side of the opening in the U-turn. It would be better to put them against the far outer wall, but this is the best I can do and yet avoid a family war.

I have thought about trying a sub. Not that I find the bass to be week but I'm curious to find out what difference it would make. You say you recommend two subs. I have heard one would do, since low frequencies apparently don't reveal much about direction. But if two: Where would you put them?

I almost forgot: I'm using speaker cables from the Swedish manufacturer Supra. They were affordable enough at the time I bought them. Now, reading reviews of the QED XT25 cables, I think I should also give new speaker cables a try. Thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited:

Integralista

Feb 9, 2024
Visit site
The amplifier is the Rega Elicit Mk V, so the power is sufficient . The room is probably 40 m2 but unfortunately it is U-shaped (it has a dividing wall) with the speakers standing at each side of the opening in the U-turn. It would be better to put them against the far outer wall, but this is the best I can do and yet avoid a family war.

I have thought about trying a sub. Not that I find the bass to be week but I'm curious to find out what difference it would make. You say you recommend two subs. I have heard one would do, since low frequencies apparently don't reveal much about direction. But if two: Where would you put them?

I almost forgot: I'm using speaker cables from the Swedish manufacturer Supra. They were affordable enough at the time I bought them.
Hi, I am happy to read your lines. Supra is very good I think still underestimated brand on the market. I have Supras as power cords, no problem.
Than I have also not simple room, it is combined living room, some 35m² with a kind of dinning room, some 15m², L shape in total. My speakers are old good Cabasse Iroise 500 (92db sensitivity, do not play below 45 Hz and low impedance in bass, they need power) In regular room without L shape "attachment" also bass will be just OK. But in this L shape, bass is loosing. Adding those subs has improved bass a lot in my system. I use 2xVelodyne SPL800, original "old" subs. I have them some 23 years😁. They work without problems. My subs are below TV, behind my rack of Hifi, some 0.6 meter from speaker. Quality of sub must be on equal level as main speakers. You will hear compromises. When I was choosing my subs, I have tested 3-4 different types. I recommend to try one bigger sub for your room 12 inch. Sealed Sub is easier to locate than bass reflex-ported one. With sealed one you have more freedom positioning them. Better bass improve sound of the whole system. I use integrated amp Audia Flight Two to drive whole system. No problem. As for Rega, Rega was making excellent power amps, their Exon monoblocks are legendary (my personal tip is to combine them with very good tube preamp and you get excellent amp combo). What they were missing for a long time was better preamp part of their integrated amp. This has rapidly changed since Brio 2016, than Aethos ( this is really amazing amp, my dream now🫠) and the knowledge has condensed into new Elicit mk5 and also new Elex mk4. Also Brio 2016 is excellent small amp, a lot better than previous gen. Best value per pound is now Elex mk4 in Rega portfolio. But for your meaty boxes and your big room you need more power and control. I was some 11 years ago looking for better amp and Elicit was my target. Than I found used Audia Two. This is very good machine. A bit more neutral than Rega (even it is italian, it is not sweet). And has excellent build quality. I recommended Audia fls3 integrated to a friend with Dynaudio Special 40. Excellent system, very happy combination. Audia has very good bass and control over entire spectrum. To get better idea, pls. see my system. As you may see, subs are hidden, not visible, but you hear the bass. This is what I like. I am analogue guy😂. PS: my Brio baby amp drive Those slim Xavian Delicia speakers. Their sound remind me the sound of Totem Acoustics Arro, excellent small column speaker. Again very good match Rega/Totem Acoustics.

Attachments

• 20240322_065405.jpg
    20240322_065405.jpg
    316.6 KB · Views: 4

Revolutions

Not sure how helpful this is, but I have a Rega amp & a canton… tattoo?

IMG-4275.jpg

I purchased the loudspeakers second hand and would never have bought them at their price as new. The amplifier I bought as new, for a slightly higher pricer than the speakers. So, in short: I didn't want to spend more. But I did compare the Rega with two other amplifiers, within roughly the same price range, and neither one of them sounded as good as the Rega.
That makes sense then, perhaps not if you had bought speakers new.

miksko

May 27, 2024
Visit site
Hi, I am happy to read your lines. Supra is very good I think still underestimated brand on the market. I have Supras as power cords, no problem.
Than I have also not simple room, it is combined living room, some 35m² with a kind of dinning room, some 15m², L shape in total. My speakers are old good Cabasse Iroise 500 (92db sensitivity, do not play below 45 Hz and low impedance in bass, they need power) In regular room without L shape "attachment" also bass will be just OK. But in this L shape, bass is loosing. Adding those subs has improved bass a lot in my system. I use 2xVelodyne SPL800, original "old" subs. I have them some 23 years😁. They work without problems. My subs are below TV, behind my rack of Hifi, some 0.6 meter from speaker. Quality of sub must be on equal level as main speakers. You will hear compromises. When I was choosing my subs, I have tested 3-4 different types. I recommend to try one bigger sub for your room 12 inch. Sealed Sub is easier to locate than bass reflex-ported one. With sealed one you have more freedom positioning them. Better bass improve sound of the whole system. I use integrated amp Audia Flight Two to drive whole system. No problem. As for Rega, Rega was making excellent power amps, their Exon monoblocks are legendary (my personal tip is to combine them with very good tube preamp and you get excellent amp combo). What they were missing for a long time was better preamp part of their integrated amp. This has rapidly changed since Brio 2016, than Aethos ( this is really amazing amp, my dream now🫠) and the knowledge has condensed into new Elicit mk5 and also new Elex mk4. Also Brio 2016 is excellent small amp, a lot better than previous gen. Best value per pound is now Elex mk4 in Rega portfolio. But for your meaty boxes and your big room you need more power and control. I was some 11 years ago looking for better amp and Elicit was my target. Than I found used Audia Two. This is very good machine. A bit more neutral than Rega (even it is italian, it is not sweet). And has excellent build quality. I recommended Audia fls3 integrated to a friend with Dynaudio Special 40. Excellent system, very happy combination. Audia has very good bass and control over entire spectrum. To get better idea, pls. see my system. As you may see, subs are hidden, not visible, but you hear the bass. This is what I like. I am analogue guy😂. PS: my Brio baby amp drive Those slim Xavian Delicia speakers. Their sound remind me the sound of Totem Acoustics Arro, excellent small column speaker. Again very good match Rega/Totem Acoustics.
Hi again,

Thanks for your generous recommendations. Your first message made me recall the importance of speaker cables. Even though I find the current Supra cables quite good, I haven't actually given them a match by comparing them with something else.
So, the reason I haven't replied until now is because I've done some experiments, by testing:
  • QED Golden Anniversary XT
  • QED XT25
The first one really made a difference by opening up the sound, giving more detail and by making the bass more determined. I was impressed by how much sound quality there was still left to discover.

The only reason I decided to also try the second one was because of the physical measurements of the XT cable; it's difficult to hide under the carpet. The only other drawback I could find was that it was slightly harder to pin-point the position of the instruments, but I hope that will change when the cables have been run in. (And yes, I will check that with the store this evening.)

So, in short: The QED Golden Anniversary XT really made a difference. The QED XT25 wasn't any better than my current Supra cable.

Cheers,
Mikael

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts