Canton DM50 power lead will not fit

Miker

Jul 26, 2007
Visit site
I'm still waiting for some longer HDMI cables to be delivered but decided to power up the DM50 to see whether it remained in standby or could be switched off. I need to know this in order to decide how to connect my kit to the power sockets. However, I could not even plug in the UK power lead into the DM50. The continental lead fits but not the UK one. To my eye, the female connections on the UK lead look slightly smaller than the continental lead. I could use an adaptor with the continental lead but would not be able to plug it into the back of the TV shelving unit.

I shall be speaking to Richer Sounds tomorrow and am wondering whether anyone else has had the same problem and how it was resolved.

daveb73

Feb 25, 2014
Visit site
Hi Miker

That sounds very odd, I didn't have any issues with the UK power lead at all :?

Regarding standby, I can confirm that the unit remains in standby when powered off by the remote (it has a little red light that turns blue when powered back on). From what I can tell there is no physical on/off switch, just standby.

Dave

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
hi Miker,

We distribute Canton in UK, and haven't encountered mains lead issues with any of the hundreds we've sold into retail to date. But - as with any electronics device - there's always room for error. I'm sure Richer Sounds will sort you a replacement lead; please update me - I can always arrange a replacement being sent direct to you if that's more convenient.

Miker

Jul 26, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. Richer Sounds sent me a replacement lead which came today and fits. It is quite a task rearranging all the connections and hiding the cables within the metal shaft of the glass TV stand so I will be leaving it until the weekend. I shall be putting the DM50 on the midddle shelf and resiting the Youview box and blu-ray player on the bottom shelf. What I thought would be a simple task resulted in my having to buy two longer HDMI cables and a toslink/minijack optical cable.

Miker

Jul 26, 2007
Visit site
I'm slowly getting there. I connected the Sony blu-ray player via the co-ax cable and bought a toslink/mini toslink cable for the Samsung TV. The Sony worked fine when I went into the BBCi player facility. I'm not a particular fan of Elbow but the sound was certainly better than via the TV. I've yet to try a DVD.

The problem has been the TV link which did not work. Samsung advised that the problem could be the optical cable and to use their optical adaptor, which is now on order. In the meantime I have connected the TalkTalk Youview box directly to the DM50 which seems to work well. I'm wondering whether to leave it as it is, and would like to know which option will give the best sound quality.

Pictures? How and who do I sent them to?

I

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Some people prefer a direct connection - after all, it's going through less processing - so you may want to stick with your set-up how it is.

As for pictures, you'll just need to have the pictures online somewhere (eg a flickr account) and you can link to them via the picture icon (tree) in the formatting bar.

Miker

Jul 26, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Clare. I need to adjust the lipsynch for the Youview TV connection as the sound is slightly ahead of the picture. I appreciate that I could find out by trial and error, but which way do the LIP + and - keys work on the DM50? I assume that one key delays the sound and the other advances it. back to the original setting. Also does the DM50 allow different settings for TV and DVD?

BTW I've noticed that in some sense the sound is too good. On outside broadcasts I can now hear extraneous noises such as wind, traffic and other people talking.

It might take me some time to sort out the pictures as modern technology is a new world to me, not using Flickr, Facebook or Twitter, and even not carrying my mobile phone around.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Yes, the lipsync works as you suggest - + advances and - delays. This is a universal settting - so you'd need to adjust/find best setting for each source.

Miker

Jul 26, 2007
Visit site
Thanks again Clare. I've adjusted the lipsynch for the TV. Yet to get hold of a blu-ray disc. After shelling out for an adaptor lead, I have established with Samsung that the TV external speaker port is not working so am sticking with the direct Youview box to DM50 link which is very good to my ear.

Sorrry but given up on the pics.

FredMel

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Had exactly the same power lead problem with my DM 50 (purchased from John Lewis), fortunately I had a spare lead from another piece of kit that fitted perfectly.

I'm very pleased with the DM 50's performance so far but have recently noticed that the unit switches itself on randomly, anyone else seen this problem?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts