Cancelled Tidal

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I've returned to Spotify Premium, well, I've never cancelled Spotify but have done so with tidal due to them not supporting CCA.

It's a fickle world.

If/when they support the service, I'll reconsider.

Shame but if I pay twenty quid a month ...

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
drummerman said:
I've returned to Spotify Premium, well, I've never cancelled Spotify but have done so with tidal due to them not supporting CCA.

It's a fickle world.

If/when they support the service, I'll reconsider.

Shame but if I pay twenty quid a month ...

What's CCA??

It may be because premium streaming is still quite a new product, but I cannot honestly see me ever adopting any of the music streaming services. i would rather use the budget to buy new or used CDs/records.

But oddly enough, when it comes to watching movies, I have no problem using nowtv to stream movies, and would gladly pack away the 500 or more DVDs I have accumulated over the years.

I've liked Qobuz though it isn't everyone's cup of tea. Great if you like classical, and they have Beatles now as well as lots of jazz and rock/pop. About .£12 pm if you pay for a year in advance. CD quality plus discounted downloads.

It works with my original chromecast.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I tried Spotify it was the first time I tried a site like Spotify but I just did not like it I spent more time flicking though the albums on there then I did listened to anything properly I thought it was a good way of finding out new albums that you have not heard before but I found that the 30sec that iTunes gives you to see if you like or not does me and it's free but I am old school I like having CDs as a collection which ones you have paid for a cd that's it it's free for a life time were the Spotify I felt like I owned nothing anyway I give it a go it's not for me .

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
I am old school I like having CDs as a collection which ones you have paid for a cd that's it it's free for a life time were the Spotify I felt like I owned nothing anyway I give it a go it's not for me .

I agree, I'd find it totally alien not to have CDs, or mostly in my case, lossless rips of them stored on a local NAS. With streaming (from online), the thought that anything can be changed or removed at a whim unnerves me, plus IMO we collectively haven't got a good enough reliable enough connection to the internet to abandon physical or locally-stored media. I don't want to live in a world where I can't access my music when access to the 'net goes down. In my case that would be several days this year already, and countless times when I'm out and about and I find myself in a celular dead zone. We won't have true always on reliable internet for at least 20 years IMO.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Mmmh, whilst I personally wouldn't give up on cd's, vinyl and fm radio, I believe that not using streaming services is missing out on a valuable source.

It helped me with many a purchase and new discoveries.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
drummerman said:
Mmmh, whilst I personally wouldn't give up on cd's, vinyl and fm radio, I believe that not using streaming services is missing out on a valuable source.

Agreed, and I'm a very happy user of Apple Music for just that purpose. But Tidal's cost of £240 per year per person is a serious commitment, and is for those who have deep pockets or who treat it as a 'serious' source (alternative to CDs and records). I'm not yet sold on it enough for that. Possibly I never will until online streaming properly matures and the infrastructure to give it to us reliably is at least as reliable and as taken for granted as fresh piped water.

Steven Wilcox

Mar 26, 2008
Visit site
I've been using Tidal since its launch in the UK, and used Qobuz before that. Quality wise, played via digital out from a Sonos ZP 90 into my Musical Fidelity kw250s, I really struggle to tell the difference between Tidal and CDs. For me, it's like having an enormous CD collection, with new releases being added all the time. I haven't been buying CDs since I've had Tidal/Qobuz - it's now just the way that I listen to music; not just trying out things I might want to buy.

For 'on the go listening', 4G is sufficient for CD quality FLAC streams (when available) and it's so easy to mark and download music for offline listening from your phone.

I take the points about it being dependent on Internet reliability. I've got an 'up to' 300 mbps cable connection but still been having some problems with dropouts. But I've still got a big collection of CDs so I'm never without anything to listen to on the rare occasions when the Internet connection is playing up.

Tidal is now promising higher than CD resolution streaming through the new MQA format, which is quite exciting.

The downside of Tidal, for me, is that it heavily promotes certain styles of music that are not of interest to me and does nothing to present the music I like (and I've got very wide musical tastes). On most occasions, the music is there; but you have to find it. I really don't think that Tidal is making the most of its vast catalogue in this regard. I don't think it would be that hard to adapt user home pages to the types of music they've elected to be informed about?

Qobuz suited my musical tates much better in this regard but had a very French flavour running through it. I'm not sure if this has changed any while I've been with Tidal?

I'm considering switching back to Qobuz but being held back, partially by inertia, and partly by the prospect of MQA on Tidal. But one thing's for certain, I won't be going back to buying two or three CDs a month when the same money buys me pretty much anything I want to listen to, at the same quality, at the touch of a button.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
Steven Wilcox said:
I've been using Tidal since its launch in the UK, and used Qobuz before that. Quality wise, played via digital out from a Sonos ZP 90 into my Musical Fidelity kw250s, I really struggle to tell the difference between Tidal and CDs. For me, it's like having an enormous CD collection, with new releases being added all the time. I haven't been buying CDs since I've had Tidal/Qobuz - it's now just the way that I listen to music; not just trying out things I might want to buy.

For 'on the go listening', 4G is sufficient for CD quality FLAC streams (when available) and it's so easy to mark and download music for offline listening from your phone.

I take the points about it being dependent on Internet reliability. I've got an 'up to' 300 mbps cable connection but still been having some problems with dropouts. But I've still got a big collection of CDs so I'm never without anything to listen to on the rare occasions when the Internet connection is playing up.

Tidal is now promising higher than CD resolution streaming through the new MQA format, which is quite exciting.

The downside of Tidal, for me, is that it heavily promotes certain styles of music that are not of interest to me and does nothing to present the music I like (and I've got very wide musical tastes). On most occasions, the music is there; but you have to find it. I really don't think that Tidal is making the most of its vast catalogue in this regard. I don't think it would be that hard to adapt user home pages to the types of music they've elected to be informed about?

Qobuz suited my musical tates much better in this regard but had a very French flavour running through it. I'm not sure if this has changed any while I've been with Tidal?

I'm considering switching back to Qobuz but being held back, partially by inertia, and partly by the prospect of MQA on Tidal. But one thing's for certain, I won't be going back to buying two or three CDs a month when the same money buys me pretty much anything I want to listen to, at the same quality, at the touch of a button.

Big +1 for what you have written particularly the last sentence. £20 a month is a steal and I haven't bought a single cd since I signed up.

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
knaithrover said:
Steven Wilcox said:

Big +1 for what you have written particularly the last sentence. £20 a month is a steal and I haven't bought a single cd since I signed up.

If Tidal folds you'll be left with nothing though. People who buy CD's will still have their music.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
drummerman said:
Mmmh, whilst I personally wouldn't give up on cd's, vinyl and fm radio, I believe that not using streaming services is missing out on a valuable source.

I enjoyed my free trial but would use youtube for discovery. I found i never listened for long on tidal and got itchy feet. Where as with my flac collection just leave it running. All in my head i know.

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Also cancelled my subscription although technically, I've not paid as it came on a 30 day free trial with a LInn DSM. I too also prefer Spotify Premium as better value for money. Sound quality on Tidal was better at times but we'd already built many well-loved playlists in Spotify and there's no way we'll run both (circa £30 p/m).

We rarely listen to our ripped CD collection these days (all Flac on an NAS). I agree that listening to a whole album when streamed is a rare occurrence but playlists can be brilliant (e.g 1.0 am Sunday morning with Miles Davis et al).

I'm not saying that the days of CD (or vinyl) are over. They clearly aren't and may never be. It's just that streaming is another way of accessing music and can be quite addictive (in the best possible way). We also stream to various devices throughout the house so it's very convenient.

rmatthew

Feb 19, 2016
Visit site
Thought I would add my thoughts whilst waiting for the rice to finish cooking... :)

I work from home and have music on for around 8hrs per day so get through a lot of tracks. I use Spotify premium for the vast majority of that. At the beginning of the week I listen to the "Discover weekly" section which provides suggestions loosley based on what you have listened to before. Anything I like I tick so that it goes into my songs sections. When I've worked though the new stuff I then listen to my songs section (normally on shuffle).

I find this a great way to discover new music without any effort.

Rice cooker has pinged so time to end the post. :)

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I imported all my Spotify playlists to Tidal. Tidal sounds a lot better to my ears, a lot, and that to me anyway is the priority. I loved my time with Spotify but the muffled compressed sound always grated on me.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
rmatthew said:
Thought I would add my thoughts whilst waiting for the rice to finish cooking... :)

I work from home and have music on for around 8hrs per day so get through a lot of tracks. I use Spotify premium for the vast majority of that. At the beginning of the week I listen to the "Discover weekly" section which provides suggestions loosley based on what you have listened to before. Anything I like I tick so that it goes into my songs sections. When I've worked though the new stuff I then listen to my songs section (normally on shuffle).

I find this a great way to discover new music without any effort.

Rice cooker has pinged so time to end the post. :)

a rice cooker was Sony's very first product!

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I played a CD for the 1st time in months last weekend. I also played a friend's request streamed from iTunes - they were rather surprised by the quality.

I listened to a few tracks from Tidal in Sevenoaks of Reading a couple of weeks back through a pair of KEF Ref 3s. What struck me was the lack of choice once off the beaten track compared with either Spotify or iTunes.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts