Can you extend Bluetooth range?

ron.dullage

Mar 19, 2021
Visit site
I recently bought a TaoTronics Wireless Audio Adapter [2020 Upgrade] Bluetooth 5.0 Super Low Latency Transmitter & Receiver as various reviews said that this was the best available.

That may be the case but the range is still pitifully poor. We are just moving to a new home and I have a feeling that this limited range could be an issue.

Is there such a thing as a Bluetooth range extender?

Would really appreciate any help possible. Looking forward to hearing from you.

PS I'm not terribly techie so nothing too complicated please. :)

camcroft

A Bluetooth extender helps extend the connection distance, and it can extend your connection up to 100 feet indoors and 300 feet outdoors. They can also boost your signal strength and allow you to connect to multiple devices.8 Apr 2020

Welcome to the forum I hope this will help you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al ears

ron.dullage

Mar 19, 2021
Visit site
Hi Camcroft,

Thanks for your reply and apologies for not having got back to you sooner.

Unfortunately, the BW-BR5 that you recommend in your post has been discontinued. I have been having a trawl around the internet for alternatives and, what appeared (to me) to be a fairly straightforward question seems to get some quite complicated (and confusing) answers.

The next one on the list that you provided is the Golvery. (I am an Android person, not Apple.) Is this going to help? All that I am looking for is something that will give me a signal in the kitchen when my current transmitter is in the lounge. (Something located in the hall maybe?) Nothing that I have seen so far appears capable of doing this. It seems that the minute you put an obstacle in the way that's the end of your Bluetooth signal. (A few months ago, I even lost signal when I walked behind our Christmas tree!!!)

Looking forward to hearing from you (or someone!) soon.

Thanks.

camcroft

Hi. I walk all round my house with Bluetooth headphones but there are times when you will lose the signal through the likes of thick walls most of the Bluetooth units give you a distance that their units will work but mostly thats taking a clear path others claim to do it and fail miserably . I have a Bluetooth receiver but I paid £ 129 for mine and it is excellent sound wise and the signal is good but I cant promise you that that would fix your problem if I were you I would read up on some and make a short list of the promising ones and if you buy from the likes of Amazon you can send them back if they are not fit for purpose.

Reactions: ron.dullage

DCarmi

You probably want to look for a class 1 bluetooth device. You have class 2. Class 1 is more powerful and has a range of (theoretically) up to 100m. Obviously walls will have a negative impact. Mostly class 1 will get at least double the range of a class 2 device

Reactions: ron.dullage

Vincent Kars

Is there such a thing as a Bluetooth range extender?
Not really. As DCarmi pointed out, you might try a stronger sender but Bluetooth is basically about near field communication.

You won't have this problem using WiFi.
If the sink (the receiver) is a BT headphone, this won't work.
A work-around is using your smartphone as the audio source.
An Android can be perfectly used as a UPnP client.
Put the phone in your pocket and listen to is with your BT headphone.

Sounds a bit complex but
- my router can be configured as UPnP/DLNA server
- my phone running Foobar Mobile connects to it
- my BT headphone connects to the phone over the BT

As long as I stay in range of the phone (same room), it works perfectly

athegn1

Jan 3, 2018
Visit site
My view on wireless headphones is not driven by sound quality; with my old ears I doubt if even full listening tests would show much difference between current Bluetooth or Kleer that Sennheiser use; after all I failed the Spotify mp3 vs hi res test.

My reason for RS180 (BT codecs are now much better than when I bought these) and now RS185 is the range. I have the RS185 connected to my hifi and know I can just walk almost anywhere in my premises and they work whereas with BT I have to carry my phone/tablet around with me.

But just to say all is not rosy, as the one place I spend sometime listening at is our study desk; it has a Kleer dead spot from where the transmitter has to reside. So am purchasing some wired headphones for use there. Note I said our study; moving furniture us not allowed!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts