Question Can the KEF LS50 Wireless2 play local files?

Peter Busby

Mar 14, 2021
Visit site
My very modest wireless HiFi (OK, it's an AudioPro C10) plays FLAC files stored on the tablet which runs the AudioPro app. I do not use streaming. Nothing in the LS50 manual suggests it can do the same. Am I missing something? Grateful for your advice.

manicm

It will play local files on your device via Bluetooth or AirPlay.

I’ll let you in on a secret though, short of a NAS, if your router has a USB port get a fast stick like Sandisk Extreme Pro and shove your files there. Configure it through your router software, and any network streamer will see the stick as a basic music server.

Peter Busby

Mar 14, 2021
Visit site
It will play local files on your device via Bluetooth or AirPlay.

I’ll let you in on a secret though, short of a NAS, if your router has a USB port get a fast stick like Sandisk Extreme Pro and shove your files there. Configure it through your router software, and any network streamer will see the stick as a basic music server.

Thank you, Manicm. I thought I was going mad back there.

In desperation, I bought the AudioPro C10 two or three years ago. Now KEF has finally managed to make a wireless speaker without wires, I naturally have the hots for the LS50 Wireless2.

I understand (broadly) what you are suggesting. 'Configure it through your router software' is pushing my limits, although in a previous existence i was a software engineer. My ADSL router is a Bbox (Bouyges Télécom, one of the four main ISPs here in France), but it does have a USB port or two. Naively, I always assumed it was a black box (actually, white plastic).

It would be unreasonable to ask for any explicit guidelines, but if you could just indicate what is to be 'configured'. Whatever you decide, please accept my heartfelt thanks for the advice you have already given me.

manicm

Peter, in your router settings - which you access through your browser if you have the address (check your router manual, or on its label) - you will find settings for the USB port. Once you attach a drive/stick, there will be settings to make it 'shared' or some such - it should be able to let you rename it too. In which case you'll be able to map it as a drive on your PC, and it will be available on your network streamer app.

Peter Busby

Mar 14, 2021
Visit site
Peter, in your router settings - which you access through your browser if you have the address (check your router manual, or on its label) - you will find settings for the USB port. Once you attach a drive/stick, there will be settings to make it 'shared' or some such - it should be able to let you rename it too. In which case you'll be able to map it as a drive on your PC, and it will be available on your network streamer app.

Got it, I think, Manicm.

With your explanation, if I don't crack it, I'll hang up my card punch. I will probably be blundering around the problem for some time, so I'll say many thanks once again right now - and get to work.

Gray

When I was with Plusnet, the router had a USB socket and I thought I would use it.
Couldn't for the life of me get it to work though and didn't know why. A Plusnet technical advisor went away, checked with colleagues, then advised the socket was disabled!
Apparently I was the first person to have asked about it :unsure:

When I was with Plusnet, the router had a USB socket and I thought I would use it.
Couldn't for the life of me get it to work though and didn't know why. A Plusnet technical advisor went away, checked with colleagues, then advised the socket was disabled!
Apparently I was the first person to have asked about it :unsure:
That's a pity, I am still with Plusnet.....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts