Can it be saved?

FahadAhmed

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
So I had bought the 2M blue stylus a year back was very happy when I replaced the 2M Red stylus with it. It was a 5 second transition as I did not have to change the cartridge.

Today, the 2M blue started sounding very dull and boomy. Cleaned it several times but there was very little improvement (at least I thought there was). So I switched back to my 2M red which I had put aside for a rainy day and things are a lot better (well as good as 2M red can be).

Can anybody guess what happened to the 2M blue and can it be recovered?

Oldphrt

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
FahadAhmed said:
So I had bought the 2M blue stylus a year back was very happy when I replaced the 2M Red stylus with it. It was a 5 second transition as I did not have to change the cartridge.

Today, the 2M blue started sounding very dull and boomy. Cleaned it several times but there was very little improvement (at least I thought there was). So I switched back to my 2M red which I had put aside for a rainy day and things are a lot better (well as good as 2M red can be).

Can anybody guess what happened to the 2M blue and can it be recovered?

Probably has gunge on the stylus. Rather than risk a brush I find playing a 12 inch 45 rpm single usually clears it.

FahadAhmed

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site

Probably has gunge on the stylus. Rather than risk a brush I find playing a 12 inch 45 rpm single usually clears it.

[/quote]

Hey thanks, well I have actually tried multiple records and several songs, cause at first I thought (and hoping as well) that there is something wrong with the record that I was playing. So I took at least 5 different records and at least 10 songs out for spin. It didn't get any better.

Oldphrt

Oct 21, 2016
Visit site
FahadAhmed said:

Hey thanks, well I have actually tried multiple records and several songs, cause at first I thought (and hoping as well) that there is something wrong with the record that I was playing. So I took at least 5 different records and at least 10 songs out for spin. It didn't get any better.

[/quote]

Did it happen suddenly while the record was playing? If it did I would keep playing those 12 inchers till it clears. If not, carefully, brush the stylus from back to front. Never side to side.

D

Deleted member 108165

Get yourself an illuminated jewellers loupe, (10-20X mag), and take a closer look at the stylus. If you have a microscope hanging around somewhere, even better.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
If it is not a dirty/ gunged up stylus or loose rear connections and I would like to think you already checked for that the only other thing I could think of is a broken/worn suspension. This can afflict older cartridges but maybe yours had a material fault?

Does the cartridge lie lower when playing than your red?

DougK said:
Get yourself an illuminated jewellers loupe, (10-20X mag), and take a closer look at the stylus. If you have a microscope hanging around somewhere, even better.
I was thinking the same. I still use a pen-style microscope I got as a child, and it's just powerful enough to hand hold. Amazing what crap accumulates even when you are careful.

Henley would probably check it for you if you post it to them. One of their folk often post here.

By the way Fahad, did you ever post what you think if your Triton 5, and why you got rid of the KEF R500? Just curious as US brands often get scant coverage here, though your Parasounds get the occasional mention. The mag tested the integrated recently as you doubtless read?

FahadAhmed

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, thanks for all the suggestions..I took the stylus out and cleaned it for a while with those stylus brushes you get...actually had it fixed a few days ago.

It would have really sucked if I had to throw the stylus away after one year.

FahadAhmed

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
nopiano said:
By the way Fahad, did you ever post what you think if your Triton 5, and why you got rid of the KEF R500? Just curious as US brands often get scant coverage here, though your Parasounds get the occasional mention. The mag tested the integrated recently as you doubtless read?

So one of the R500s started showing some problems with one of the drivers. The sound was cracking up. I moved about a year back and I think the speakers went through a rough ride. So my audio dealer had it fixed for me but it kinda started sounding very boomy...I have relatively small listening room as it is.

For the triton 5s, I was pretty impressed with the parasound and goldenear combo I heard at one of my colleague's place. (diffferent models though). So got the triton 5s in for a demo and was blown away. Sounded a lot better than the R500s did when they were new. I am sorry I am horrible at putting the listening expereince up in "audiophile terms" just the way the magazine would :). But I was impressed.

In my older posts here, I had been asking people on how to make rock music sound perfect, well I kind of found the solution. The HiFi store took the KEFs back and gave me the triton 5s for half the price. British speakers are very populr where I live so even the second hands with fixed driver would be profitable for him I guess.

DougK said:

A hi-powered loupe is essential I find in checking stylus integrity.

Sounds to me like it's gunged up or suspension has collapsed, or possibly the alignment / downforce has been substantially altered somehow.

EDIT: Apologies, just seen drummermans post, and I concur.

If it happens frequently then I suggest you get LPs suitably wet-cleaned as gunging up should happen in that time span unless playing some dodgey records.

FahadAhmed

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Al ears said:
If it happens frequently then I suggest you get LPs suitably wet-cleaned as gunging up should happen in that time span unless playing some dodgey records.

Yeah you are right, time to get the vacuum cleaner out

FahadAhmed said:
Hey guys, thanks for all the suggestions..I took the stylus out and cleaned it for a while with those stylus brushes you get...actually had it fixed a few days ago.

It would have really sucked if I had to throw the stylus away after one year.
Well done! How great it is when all the sounds return!

FahadAhmed said:
nopiano said:

So one of the R500s started showing some problems with one of the drivers. The sound was cracking up. I moved about a year back and I think the speakers went through a rough ride. So my audio dealer had it fixed for me but it kinda started sounding very boomy...I have relatively small listening room as it is.

For the triton 5s, I was pretty impressed with the parasound and goldenear combo I heard at one of my colleague's place. (diffferent models though). So got the triton 5s in for a demo and was blown away. Sounded a lot better than the R500s did when they were new. I am sorry I am horrible at putting the listening expereince up in "audiophile terms" just the way the magazine would :). But I was impressed.

In my older posts here, I had been asking people on how to make rock music sound perfect, well I kind of found the solution. The HiFi store took the KEFs back and gave me the triton 5s for half the price. British speakers are very populr where I live so even the second hands with fixed driver would be profitable for him I guess.
Thanks for the update. I must listen to them one day! They seem scarcely acknowledged over here, though I recall HiFi+ magazine reviewed one of the models.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts