Can i use Chord Mojo for Genelec 2.1 ?

Hello Guys,

I am looking for a good DAC for my Genelec 2.1.

I need Unbalanced out :)

I was about to buy Audiolab M-Dac, but now i am a bit confused at Chord MOJO DAC.

As mentioned, Chord Mojo is mainly for headphone :(, can i use this for my 2.1 system ?

Thanks a lot for your help.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Innocent Devil said:
Hello Guys,

I am looking for a good DAC for my Genelec 2.1.

I need Unbalanced out :)

I was about to buy Audiolab M-Dac, but now i am a bit confused at Chord MOJO DAC.

As mentioned, Chord Mojo is mainly for headphone :(, can i use this for my 2.1 system ?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Ask the person who recommended the Mojo for your set-up (in your other thread) to explain how to implement it.

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
As far as I can see the Genelecs only have an XLR input? Is this correct? If so that rules out both the Mojo and the irdac. I assumed they would have RCA input too, most would. How is the sub connected up, is it from the speakers? The Mojo essentially has 3 inputs, a mini usb, a coaxial 3.5 and an optical input. Out then is 3.5mm jack to 2 x RCA. That is your only output option. I only use the Mojo in my full system, sounds far better than with headphones anyway, at least than with my headphones. If the Genelics do only have XLR input you're going to find your choices limited I think. Perhaps there are RCA to XLR adaptors? I'm unfamiliar with XLR inputs tbh. Then there is still the question of the sub, how is that connected?

gasolin

Use what ever cable you need like mini jack to xlr or trs to the subwoofer (i dont know which genelec speaker you have) connect the main speakers to the subwoofer, adjust levels, crossover on the sub if there is one (i don't know which genelec speakers you have) play music from your pc (optical,coaxial or usb from you pc to the chord mojo)

(ever noticed the analog 3.5 mm headphone outputs on the chord mojo?)

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
You can get a 3.5mm to XLR cable, so yes it seems you'd be fine with a Mojo. I'm assuming the sub is connected to the speakers. I would try to make this dac work in your system whatever it takes. The extra detail I'm easily hearing in well known music is astounding. I could hear a difference with other dacs but it took a bit of effort, with the Mojo it's just there with a lovely balanced neutral presentation. Some will argue that most dacs sound the same and to a degree they are right. However the mojo does not use a standard dac chip, chord are doing something very different here and getting it very right. It's a pity many will never explore the Mojo as a full system dac and just understandably assume it is only a headphone amp/dac. They are missing out on something very special.

ChrisIRL said:
You can get a 3.5mm to XLR cable, so yes it seems you'd be fine with a Mojo. I'm assuming the sub is connected to the speakers. I would try to make this dac work in your system whatever it takes. The extra detail I'm easily hearing in well known music is astounding. I could hear a difference with other dacs but it took a bit of effort, with the Mojo it's just there with a lovely balanced neutral presentation. Some will argue that most dacs sound the same and to a degree they are right. However the mojo does not use a standard dac chip, chord are doing something very different here and getting it very right. It's a pity many will never explore the Mojo as a full system dac and just understandably assume it is only a headphone amp/dac. They are missing out on something very special.

I am really sorry for not elaborating my connection.

I am having Genelec F-One Sub which has 2 inputs, 1 3.5 mm Aux stereo and 2 RCA LR input.

I am connecting my 8010 monitors by RCA to XLR Cable.

So connecting Mojo to my system is not an issue.

Everywhere it's menioned as "Companion to Smartphone", "Mainly Headphone DAC/AMP",

So can i use the Mojo with my simple system. Because there is no Line-Out, even you activate Line-Out in Mojo it will go through the Analog circuit and giving output @ constant 3V.

So if i am using my stereo with Aux out from Mojo, will there be any issue ?

Thanks in Advance.

Thanks a lot for giving me interest in this new Dynamite "Chord Mojo" :D

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
There shouldn't be any issue but as the usual advice goes try before you buy. The Chord Hugo is also considered to be a headphone amp/ dac but many use it in a full system. The mojo is essentially a smaller Hugo. The connections aren't ideal but with one or two adaptors you are set. Chord will be releasing some modules next year for the mojo, I'm guessing one will be for hooking up to a full system, full size RCA outputs etc. The line out setting sets the Hugo at 3v but it's not a fixed 3V. The volume/ output can still be adjusted, just like the Hugo. It can be used as a pre amp, but with no remote. If 3v is a bit high for your system it can be reduced. The mojo doesn't use regular amplification so you are not double amping, the distortion is so low it is not an issue. It essentially does everything the mdac does but to my ears sounds a lot better. Hifiworld ran speakers directly from the mojo! it's a powerful and versatile little piece of kit. One of the reviewers on Amazon.co.uk also talks about using it in a full system, and how they too find it's performance in a full system to be fantastic.

I have been listening now for a couple of weeks trying to determine why it so much better than other dacs I have used. To me it’s stand out performance feature is it’s resolution of detail, provided the rest of your system is up to the task. It just seems to separate everything on a recording so well that you can hear everything clearly without even trying. It's like the recording has been cleaned up and everything usually lost in the fuzz is just there. For example it even makes my bloody valentines shelf titled album, one of the busiest recordings I've heard make sense! Everything, vocals, guitars, drums etc just has new detail and sounds different to every other dac I've tried. The flow of music from it is a stand out too, the bass is so well defined that music just flows really naturally. I am finding it very hard to stop listening to music since getting the mojo, always it’s one more song, one more, one more! This is because even older well known songs just sound fresh and new with a lot more going on than I ever previously heard. It truly is a great dac. My SCM11s gave me a real genuine wow moment when I heard them first, the Mojo is the only other hifi purchase I have made that has done the same. It offers a real improvement that you can hear clearly. That it does this at £399 makes it a hifi bargain. Many will miss it which is a shame. Even Chord themselves are a bit vague about it's usage in a full system. Perhaps it performs a bit too well!

ChrisIRL said:
There shouldn't be any issue but as the usual advice goes try before you buy. The Chord Hugo is also considered to be a headphone amp/ dac but many use it in a full system. The mojo is essentially a smaller Hugo. The connections aren't ideal but with one or two adaptors you are set. Chord will be releasing some modules next year for the mojo, I'm guessing one will be for hooking up to a full system, full size RCA outputs etc. The line out setting sets the Hugo at 3v but it's not a fixed 3V. The volume/ output can still be adjusted, just like the Hugo. It can be used as a pre amp, but with no remote. If 3v is a bit high for your system it can be reduced. The mojo doesn't use regular amplification so you are not double amping, the distortion is so low it is not an issue. It essentially does everything the mdac does but to my ears sounds a lot better. Hifiworld ran speakers directly from the mojo! it's a powerful and versatile little piece of kit. One of the reviewers on Amazon.co.uk also talks about using it in a full system, and how they too find it's performance in a full system to be fantastic.

I have been listening now for a couple of weeks trying to determine why it so much better than other dacs I have used. To me it’s stand out performance feature is it’s resolution of detail, provided the rest of your system is up to the task. It just seems to separate everything on a recording so well that you can hear everything clearly without even trying. It's like the recording has been cleaned up and everything usually lost in the fuzz is just there. For example it even makes my bloody valentines shelf titled album, one of the busiest recordings I've heard make sense! Everything, vocals, guitars, drums etc just has new detail and sounds different to every other dac I've tried. The flow of music from it is a stand out too, the bass is so well defined that music just flows really naturally. I am finding it very hard to stop listening to music since getting the mojo, always it’s one more song, one more, one more! This is because even older well known songs just sound fresh and new with a lot more going on than I ever previously heard. It truly is a great dac. My SCM11s gave me a real genuine wow moment when I heard them first, the Mojo is the only other hifi purchase I have made that has done the same. It offers a real improvement that you can hear clearly. That it does this at £399 makes it a hifi bargain. Many will miss it which is a shame. Even Chord themselves are a bit vague about it's usage in a full system. Perhaps it performs a bit too well!

Hello, Thanks a lott for explaining everything.

In India this product will launch after 2 months.

I was about to buy Audiolab M-DAC, but now i will wait for my future companion "Chord MOJO".

Thanks again.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Buy Lexicon Alpha and have your Genelecs connected with proper balanced TRS > XLR interconnects.

It isn't 'precision machined from a single solid block of aluminium'* though.

* 'Aluminum' for anyone reading this in Amerca.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Innocent Devil said:
Vladimir said:
Buy Lexicon Alpha and have your Genelecs connected with proper balanced TRS > XLR interconnects.

Does it sound better than Chord Mojo ?

I am not a musician or Singer, i am just a poor Stereo listener :D

You bought 'musicians' speakers though. :)

It certainly will sound better than the Mojo. Using unbalanced RCA output to a balanced XLR will be an issue with impedance matching, low output and poor SNR.

Vladimir said:
Innocent Devil said:
Vladimir said:

It certainly will sound better than the Mojo. Using unbalanced RCA output to a balanced XLR will be an issue with impedance matching, low output and poor SNR.

Thanks for suggestion, but my Genelec 8010 are connected thru Genelec F one sub.

F one sub has RCA input & output. So no way i can use balanced input from any DAC. :(

I feel, i should wait try some new DAC technology which Chord.

Every other company has dedicated DAC chip. Chord has some secret recipe for their DAC :D

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Innocent Devil said:
Vladimir said:
Innocent Devil said:
Vladimir said:

Thanks for suggestion, but my Genelec 8010 are connected thru Genelec F one sub.

F one sub has RCA input & output. So no way i can use balanced input from any DAC. :(

I feel, i should wait try some new DAC technology which Chord.

Every other company has dedicated DAC chip. Chord has some secret recipe for their DAC :D

Ah. In that case you will do fine with the Mojo. After purchasing it let us know how you like it in a forum review.

TRENDING THREADS