Can I turn Mission speakers upside down?

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
There's a reason why speakers are designed with the treble unit at the top...

3099-760i.jpg

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
As long as they aren't floorstanders!

I think as long as the treble unit is at ear level then you may be ok. It won't hurt the speakers, there aren't any moving parts that don't like being upside down.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Yes there are a few with the treble sited at the bottom, Dynaudio Contour range is another. But if it's designed with that configuration it shouldn't IMO be turned upside down. Like the Iotas are meant to be sideways....

Bet you were a whizz in exams: 'Yes I know I answered completely the wrong question just because I didn't bother to read it in the first place before pronouncing, but of course what the question should have said was...' :rofl:

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
spiny norman said:
plastic penguin said:
Yes there are a few with the treble sited at the bottom, Dynaudio Contour range is another. But if it's designed with that configuration it shouldn't IMO be turned upside down. Like the Iotas are meant to be sideways....

Bet you were a whizz in exams: 'Yes I know I answered completely the wrong question just because I didn't bother to read it in the first place before pronouncing, but of course what the question should have said was...' :rofl:

I'm a qualified Pool referee. You perhaps won't be surprised to hear that when I took the first exam I deliberately answered the first question incorrectly because I believed (and still do) that the rule it referred to was written ambiguously (and had witnessed the ambiguity in action), so I put the wrong answer because I wanted to argue the point with the examiners. I know what the rule is supposed to say but it doesn't quite say it (there's an unnecessary use of "and/or" in the rule when it only needs "or").

SiUK

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
So why did you not answer it correctly and then include an addedum? Seems a bit like cutting your nose off to spite your face.,,if you don't mind me saying.

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Nope, never took'em.

I took 'em: let's face it, a lot of us took all sorts of things in those days. But I didn't inhale.

And to answer the OP, yes – no problem at all. Or on their sides should you want/need to. If we're talking the 'upside down' models such as those I illustrated, just ensure the tweeter is just below ear level, which is how the speakers were intended to be used.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
How about time allignment, does it matter?

I would have thought that, around the crossover at least, the dispersion would be very different one way up than from the other.

spiny norman said:
plastic penguin said:
Nope, never took'em.

I took 'em: let's face it, a lot of us took all sorts of things in those days. But I didn't inhale.

And to answer the OP, yes – no problem at all. Or on their sides should you want/need to. If we're talking the 'upside down' models such as those I illustrated, just ensure the tweeter is just below ear level, which is how the speakers were intended to be used.

Erm... this is the sentiments I alluded to...

"You can. But why? You'll lose a little treble clarity and inrease the bass. It'll sound unbalanced. There's a reason why speakers are designed with the treble unit at the top... "

matthewpiano

As Dave refers to, time alignment is a consideration. Mission don't just put their drive units that way round for fun just as floorstander manufacturers don't choose a d'appolito arrangement for aesthetic reasons.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
mindmenglish said:
Can I do it to other speakers too?

I'm pondering on that too, lately. If one can only put the speakers on a 70 cm high cupboard, is it 'better' to have the tweeters 30 cm above ear height, or to have the speaker upside down, with the tweeter at ear height? :?

hammill

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
As Dave refers to, time alignment is a consideration. Mission don't just put their drive units that way round for fun just as floorstander manufacturers don't choose a d'appolito arrangement for aesthetic reasons.
Well I learnt something new today. Never heard of a D' Appolito configuration before - how did we live without google & wikipedia?

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
spiny norman said:
plastic penguin said:

I'm a qualified Pool referee. You perhaps won't be surprised to hear that when I took the first exam I deliberately answered the first question incorrectly because I believed (and still do) that the rule it referred to was written ambiguously (and had witnessed the ambiguity in action), so I put the wrong answer because I wanted to argue the point with the examiners. I know what the rule is supposed to say but it doesn't quite say it (there's an unnecessary use of "and/or" in the rule when it only needs "or").

Eeeeeeeerrrrrrrrmmmmmmm, and the examiners knew this how exactly? Rather than just think you were a less than knowledgeable prospective Pool referee[dumb#rs#].

Just asking.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
lol.... I had to laugh when I read this, what was stopping you just trying it......

to add it makes no decernable difference to the sound though. What a question..... :rofl:

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
lol.... I had to laugh when I read this, what was stopping you just trying it...... to add it makes no decernable difference to the sound though. What a question..... :rofl:

My thoughts exactly. I see numerous threads where the obvious answer is, why don't you try it and see whether you like it? and then, even better, share your findings with us. Yes, most speakers are designed to be placed one way or the other, but it's not like swapping them around will be catastrophic or irreversible.

Just remember, don't cross the streams.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyaLZHiJJnE

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts