Can I rip a SACD?

Gasman

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
New streaming system coming soon ( Super Uniti and PM1s) I am looking for high quality sources as well as my ripped Library - can I buy SACDs and rip the higher quality output - I imagine it should be a good bit better than cd

Thanks

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Officially, no you can't, thanks to the encryption used on SACD discs, but I gather there's a way round it using a hacked early-model PlayStation 3 loaded with some extra software.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
You could capture the analogue output with an audio interface and convert it to a high resolution FLAC file or WAV, but one has to wonder if the different stges of conversion affect the overall sound quality to its detriment.

krazy_olie

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
Officially, no you can't, thanks to the encryption used on SACD discs, but I gather there's a way round it using a hacked early-model PlayStation 3 loaded with some extra software.

Yep there is some stuff floating around the web onthe ps3 hack, although even if you managed to rip the actual DSD I have no idea how you would actually play it without convertering to pcm and thus defeating the point ripping the dsd layer. If you rip with any normal software it will just grab the redbook regular cd layer.

My own guess would be that sony will eventually allow the making of pc drives with sacd support otherwise the medium will die a slow death.

A

Anonymous

Even if you have the means to extract the data off a SACD like Andrew has mentioned, you still need a solution that can process DSD files as opposed to PCM WAV or do DSD->WAV conversion.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
dbpoweramp has a DSD decoder once you have the files on your pc.

http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?20105-DSD-%28SACD%29-Decoder

A

Anonymous

krazy_olie said:
My own guess would be that sony will eventually allow the making of pc drives with sacd support otherwise the medium will die a slow death.
Wouldn't count on it, SACD has been dying since its inception. Besides, the "medium" is plain DVD...

krazy_olie

Aug 19, 2011
Visit site
tremon said:
krazy_olie said:
Wouldn't count on it, SACD has been dying since its inception. Besides, the "medium" is plain DVD...

oh well, surely they could produce dsd dvd then?Not that it will happen but it "could". Even DSD downloads
Although normal sound card or dacs supports dsd streams though. The plugin above looks like it converts to pcm, which largely defeats the purpose .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts